Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Shinko 244s, which have been great on and off road.
I got the 'Bikemaster' tubes with them and I have recently had a problem with the front tire going flat overnight. So, there is an obvious puncture somewhere.

Are the Bikemaster tubes fine to replace it with? They are cheaper.

I haven't noticed any problems off road with these tires, butthese tubes with the tires should work fine for offroad as well?

Thank You much for the advice.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I got the 'Bikemaster' tubes with them and I have recently had a problem with the front tire going flat overnight. So, there is an obvious puncture somewhere.
Check or replace your valve core before going through the work of replacing the tube.. It could be the core is just loose, too..

If that doesn't do it, pull the tube out (remember, you don't have to take the tire all the way off to do this) and check for holes. Toss some air in and spray it with soapy water and look for bubbles (air type, not the dancer).

If it's fairly new, the KLR owner in me says to carefully patch it. The not cheap part of me says to spend the $15 for a new tube. :)

Good luck and let us know what you find!!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Check or replace your valve core before going through the work of replacing the tube.. It could be the core is just loose, too..

If that doesn't do it, pull the tube out (remember, you don't have to take the tire all the way off to do this) and check for holes. Toss some air in and spray it with soapy water and look for bubbles (air type, not the dancer).

If it's fairly new, the KLR owner in me says to carefully patch it. The not cheap part of me says to spend the $15 for a new tube. :)

Good luck and let us know what you find!!

You left out and important step, check the tire inside and out for pokey things before you put the tube back in. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I have thought about patching it, I just wasn't sure how durable that would be for a mix of off-road riding. I will check the valve though and see if that happens to be it.Unfortunately, I had to put some fix-a-flat in the tube so that I could get back home. It seems to be holding up right now, but know that isn't very reliable.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more question.
Motorcycle Superstore is going to charge me shipping for the tube (so that would put the price around $20.00) - Bikemaster tube
I can get an IRC tube here in town for $11.00

Should I go with a heavy duty one? or does it really make a difference?

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I'd go for the local tube, if you really need one. If it is holding air now, you probably had a grain of dirt or something lodged in the valve stem. Good valve stem caps help a lot. I snoop around for the metal ones that have the core removal tool on top. They usually have a rubber o ring in them to help seal the valve stem.

John Deere equipment has the best ones

Once upon a time, most tires on vehicles had inner tubes. It was a fact of life that they would leak down a few pounds. Good schrader valve caps seemed to slow that loss of air down. They were not like the cheap threaded dust covers we see now. They actually sealed the valve stem. I got home more than once after fixing a flat and found I lost the schrader valve core by pumping up the tire and slapping the cap on. Not an easy task, but it beat walking.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
One more question.
Motorcycle Superstore is going to charge me shipping for the tube (so that would put the price around $20.00) - Bikemaster tube
I can get an IRC tube here in town for $11.00

Should I go with a heavy duty one? or does it really make a difference?
My favorite tube is the IRC Heavy Duty.. If you can snag one for $11, you're getting a great deal on a great tube.. I've never had a IRC tube fail.. (Now I'll walk out to my bike after work and find both tires flat)

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you have to get another tube then the IRC is a good tube. I've never had an issue with them. Take the patched tube and keep it for a spare in case of an emergency.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts