Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I decided to go a bit more towards the dirt direction on my KLR, since I've put street tires on my Strom.. Bike Bandit shipped a set (F/R) of them to my door for $92.. Now to burn off the rest of the tread on my Anakees... :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm currently running my 6006 front tire as a replacement for my worn out Kenda 761. I ran with a 6006 on the rear for about a month in the summertime and hated it. It handled relatively well on gravel and pavement, but in loose dirt and sand it made the back end feel squirrely, and I just about dumped the bike coming out of a ditch because of that. I won't buy another set, even if they are cheap.

but that's just my opinion though, and your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You told me exactly what I wanted to hear, though.. 95% of my riding is pavement and gravel.. That last 5% will still be WAY better than the Anakees.. :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Paper said:
You told me exactly what I wanted to hear, though.. 95% of my riding is pavement and gravel.. That last 5% will still be WAY better than the Anakees.. :lol:
Be forewarned though - my 6006 rear only lasted 2000km before it was almost completely smooth in the center. That was after doing a SaddleSore 1600k ride though, with front/rear pressures of 30/34psi. I don't really know how long it will last running lower pressures.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah.. I knew I wasn't going to get an mileage out of it.. I had one on my 1992 BMW R100GS and I think I barely saw 2000 miles.. Oh well.. I change my own tires, and at under $50, I'm not expecting everything.. :lol:

Did you do your SS1000 as part of a LD rally, or just as a ride?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Paper said:
Did you do your SS1000 as part of a LD rally, or just as a ride?
Just a ride. I had been planning to run in the Alberta 2000 Endurance Rally again this year, but it was cancelled due to lack of entries, so I decided to just go for another couple IBA certs instead. I had planned to do a SS1600, grab a couple hours sleep, then continue riding to get enough mileage for a BB2500k as well, but I cancelled the extra mileage after looking at how worn down my back tire was getting after the first 1000km. It probably would have lasted the extra mileage, but I just didn't want to risk it.

I'm currently happy with the Kenda K761 I'm running as a high mileage tire - I've got a little over 11000km on my rear tire and it hardly looks worn. I suspect I'll get another 10000km or so out of it, and if so, I'll be very happy.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very cool!! I've ridden several 1000 in 1 rides, but I've never documented one.. I rode the MN1000 a couple years ago, put on by Team Strange out of Minneapolis, but I ended up freezing out because I forgot to bring along my electric vest on a ride during the last weekend of June.. :shock:

I ride the Bonzia Run every spring, put on by Glacial Lakes MC, but it's only a 12 hour rally.. I think I might sign up for the MN1000 this year, again.. Maybe I'll remember my vest this time.. :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had bad luck with my vest on every LD ride I've done so far.

First SS1600k - Sylvan Lake to Moose Jaw for lunch and back in the middle of September (2004) - no electric vest yet
AB2k Rally, June 2005 - Monsoon rains on the Friday night and Saturday afternoon - switch vibrated loose in its mount and shorted out 2 hours into my ride - no heat after that and wound up borderline hypothermic by the time I got to the finish.
SS1600k, June 2006 - vest failed 16 hours in during the wee hours of the morning when I needed it most - was a little chilly for the remaining 3 hours of the ride.
B2B/BB1500/SS1000, Sept 2006 - vest failed before I ever started the clock - traced the fault to a broken contact on the bike side of the plug in - after I got home.

Now that I've redone the wiring for my vest, I'm hoping that it will work without a hitch from now on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put a set of the 6006 tires on my bike a couple weeks ago. Seems to do well on the street and very well on gravel. Haven't had the bike on loose dirt and probably won't. Really haven't used them enough yet for a full evaluation. We'll see how they hold up. I'm doing a 3 day ride next week in southern Missouri and that should break them in pretty well.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My bike will never see another tire then a 6006. I think thats the best tire going.
it will rail corners, tell you when your pushing a lil too much and give you enough room to bring it back under the bike. aired down to 15-18 pounds and it will tractor up anything.

thats the tire for me ! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you install the tire? I nipped the tube changing mine. Is it so hard to change because of the 4 ply sidewalls? I was dripping sweat when I got done, and yes I tried to keep the bead in the center. I am thinking when I take it off, use a C-clamp to keep the bead in the center next. I only have 2 arms, I weigh about 200 and that just didn't seem to be the ticket.

Anyway, curious to hear if it was easier for you all and I just suck at it, or if it is really a difficult tire to change.

Thanx.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me?? Nope.. I'm stuck in SoCal working.. It'd be nice to have a bike here.. The Chevy HHR I got stuck with sucks as a motorcycle.. Sucks as a car, too.. :lol:

·
Registered
650 Posts
ZeZe,
It's a tough tire to put on... and twice as bad to get off. The bead really sticks good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
theotherbigjoe said:
ZeZe,
It's a tough tire to put on... and twice as bad to get off. The bead really sticks good.
Thanx for the input. Sheesh, I am thinking just take the wheel off and take it to the stealer. NAH, What the heck, I'll give it another shot. If all does not go well, I think the stealer told me it would be up to 50 bucks to change it so.. Heck I will just buy one of those tire changers from harbor freight or ebay. FWIW, i really like the looks of the Maxxis, and I don't do anything super technical on the trail anyway, so I appreciate all of your opinions of the tire. My Dunlop up front is still looking pretty good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Paper said:
$50!!! :shock:

Take it to a regular car tire shop. They'll charge you $5..
Hmmmmmmm, good idea........ He did say "UP TO", and that is taking the tire off the bike. So, I am sure it woulda been cheaper, but, really I might actually do that tomorrow, just down the street from where I work is a tire shop...

But check this thing out. Shipped for under 110. bucks. Any experiences with this machine?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...018QQitemZ280039461079QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Here is a bad pic(cheap digi cam) of the Maxxis mounted next to the bald OEM.

Another terrible pic just the tire mounted.

Anyway, pretty good Maxxis 6006 thread. Thanx.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts