Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new here and I am entertaining the 2022 adventure at my local shop. I have had many bikes but none with abs. To be honest, it kinda scares me a tad. I know that helpless feeling to have the abs kick in on an car and that’s the last thing I want in a bike. Anyone know of or working on a way to switch it off/on? Thanks

·
Administrator
9,218 Posts
Uh, that "helpless feeling" is induced by a system that is working to provide you with the minimum possible stopping distance without loss of control. Seeing it as a bad thing is irrational.

The above applies to pavement. Off-road is another matter. You can probably simply pull the fuse.

If a car or motorcycle is offered with ABS, I would not opt out of it. If an off-road vehicle did not come up with a way to disable, or modify for offroad use, I'd probably come up with a way to disable it on the fly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Q? - Has it been confirmed the ABS circuit is on its own fuse? If so, super easy to cut a toggle switch in-line.

·
Administrator
9,218 Posts
The new KLR has two fuse boxes and a mess of fuses. Two of them are for ABS, though I don't know exactly what the two fuses do. One is 10A, the other is 15A.
I'm still trying to find a wiring diagram without spending most of a Benjie, but it looks like I might have to.

This is a frame grab from a video by OnTheBackWheel, Curtis Smith. Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi, Oi, Oi!

Font Corded phone Electronic device Office equipment Auto part

·
Administrator
9,218 Posts
One fuse is labelled ABSMOT for the ABS motor and the other is labelled ABSVAL for the valve. I am not sure if only one fuse would be removed or both and if removing the fuses would throw a code that could only be reset by the dealer. Worse, if the fault would disable the ABS until the bike was taken to a dealer to reset the fault.

One must proceed with caution unless one's brother is a factory trained Kawasaki mechanic with all the stuff. Or at least your mother's bridge partner's ex-husband's elevator boy's nephew, with whom you are on good terms. Ahem.

A better solution might be to investigate unplugging the rear sensor and see how that goes. I've no idea if it is accessible, unpluggable without special tools, one-time-use, tamper proof, or labelled "Do Not Bend, Fold, Spindle, Or Mutilate".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello, new here and I am entertaining the 2022 adventure at my local shop. I have had many bikes but none with abs. To be honest, it kinda scares me a tad. I know that helpless feeling to have the abs kick in on an car and that’s the last thing I want in a bike. Anyone know of or working on a way to switch it off/on? Thanks
I would be more concerned about how much a shop is going to charge to keep it maintained.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Uh, that "helpless feeling" is induced by a system that is working to provide you with the minimum possible stopping distance without loss of control. Seeing it as a bad thing is irrational.
Actually, you can stop shorter without ABS but it takes practice. ABS allows those that don't practice emergency braking to squeeze the brakes as hard as possible in a situation to stop shorter than they normally would while still, hopefully, maintaining control.

I too would not disable it on the street. It is a safety tool.

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
I agree that ABS is generally a good thing on pavement but for my "offroad centric" riding, if I didn't have a guaranteed way of disabling it, I wouldn't buy a bike with ABS......I absolutely hate it offroad and IMO it can be downright dangerous. Frankly, I am happier without the weight, cost and complexity anyhow........and I've managed to keep the bike "shiney side up" on pavement (well mostly :ROFLMAO: ) for the past 37 years without such sorcery.......but my atttitude is probably based more on being old and cranky than pure logic.....

Dave

·
Administrator
9,218 Posts
@Merritt64, that is true and thank you for pointing that out.

More than once I have had to steer into a rear-brake skid. Once the rear brake starts to skid, only the front brake is doing anything. I should have said "... system that is working to provide the average rider, like me, with the minimum possible stopping distance without loss of control". It's the loss of control, usually rear-wheel skid, that increases braking distance.

Reactions: Merritt64

·
Administrator
9,218 Posts
I'd love to see the wiring diagram, but posting it here cannot be done. The material is copyrighted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would be more concerned about how much a shop is going to charge to keep it maintained.
I have ABS on my Honda VFR and after five years it hasn’t cost me a cent extra on my servicing. With the rigours of dirt riding this may not be the case, but the KLR isn’t the first dirt bike to have ABS. In the early days of ABS ( both on cars and bikes) the system got a bad wrap. Since then the technology has been improved significantly. I understand why it is not desirable on the dirt but on the road it is a lifesaver. With the current level of sophistication any one who argues against ABS (on the road) is either fooling themselves or doesn’t understand how the system works. IMHO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just found this video in which he disables the ABS by removing both fuses. Bike still runs just has ABS light on the dash, goes off when fuses are replaced. He also does some testing on different surfaces with and without ABS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just found this video in which he disables the ABS by removing both fuses. Bike still runs just has ABS light on the dash, goes off when fuses are replaced. He also does some testing on different surfaces with and without ABS.
Fantastic. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After watching that, gives me a lot of confidence that I can simply mount a switch on the bars to control power to those circuits.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts