Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I went to the tech day at Breck's house yesterday and did my doo. The reason I am posting this is because I know the thought process I went through. I read a bunch about the doo being improved on the 08, but the spring being iffy. I decided to do it based upon some advice and some research.

The doo was fine...it's true, it is improved. BUT my spring was definitely completely slack. Changed it. Nice tension now.

Now, would I ever have had a problem...I don't know. What I do know is that the bike runs a LOT smoother now. The throttle feels better. I am super glad I did it. And it was nice to get inside the bike and look around...terrifying, but again...glad I did it.

So, if you have an O8 and are wondering if you should do it...I say doo it. (sorry).

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
As some of you know, I went to the tech day at Breck's house yesterday and did my doo. The reason I am posting this is because I know the thought process I went through. I read a bunch about the doo being improved on the 08, but the spring being iffy. I decided to do it based upon some advice and some research.

The doo was fine...it's true, it is improved. BUT my spring was definitely completely slack. Changed it. Nice tension now.

Now, would I ever have had a problem...I don't know. What I do know is that the bike runs a LOT smoother now. The throttle feels better. I am super glad I did it. And it was nice to get inside the bike and look around...terrifying, but again...glad I did it.

So, if you have an O8 and are wondering if you should do it...I say doo it. (sorry).

Dan
LJ, I can't remember, did you replace the lever and spring or just the spring?

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Did my 07 yesterday 2000 miles spring was broken. went ahead and went with the torsion spring.
I like the idea of the torsion spring and plan to change my standard spring with the torsion spring soon. Did you have any problems or concerns installing the torsion spring?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I like the idea of the torsion spring and plan to change my standard spring with the torsion spring soon. Did you have any problems or concerns installing the torsion spring?
not really, but at first I was not quite sure how it was suppose to work because it fasten's to the doohickey instead of the original spring location. I found a excellent post on the studebaker site and it had detailed pictures. I am sure glad I did it, I need a magnetic oil plug the broken spring end is still in there some where. I also installed the jardine exhaust, drilled the top of the airbox, drilled carb slide, adjusted air screw,still using stock air filter and it is a second gear wheelier throttle only I am really happy with it now.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tim, I did the lever and the spring.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Mine, and most of the doos that I've been involved with have been fine, but I've seen 2 broken springs out of the 10 or so I bikes that I've been around while changing..

I consider the $40 I spent on mine worth it just for peace of mind.. I'd rather ride and not be worried about it.. And I was worried because I'd already seen a bad one..

It's also a social event when a few guys get together to take care of it, and while we were working on the bikes, we took care of subframe bolts and gave the bikes a needed inspection.. And it's fun!!

I know of others who haven't done it and have had no problems.. I give them credit for the trust in their machines.. I just couldn't do the same, myself..

·
Registered
272 Posts
to doo or not to doo, that is the question...

In my short experience with KLR's I have done two doohickeys, both in pre '08 models. Both had broken springs.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I always thought of as the "doohickey". The actual metal piece that the spring attaches to. Shaped like a big ass guitar pick. :35a:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts