Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...I am really wanting to ride my KLR the next couple of days as the weather is supposed to be fantastic here in Ct. The only problem is that I think that the doohickey is broken inside the engine. I am worried that it may cause some engine damage. The bike has 27k miles on it (almost). Should I not ride it until I can replace the doohickey or should I just go ahead and ride until then? The bike makes a kinda clicking noise when I go hard on the accelerator. I think it's that spring or something. Might be valves out of adjustment. Not sure though.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Sounds to me like you may have answered your own question.

Fix first, ride later. At least then you will have something to ride.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If your chain becomes loose and gets jammed up around a sprocket the costs will be very expensive.......if it just simply allows a piece of the spring to float around and get jammed up in the chain, it could do the same thing or just eat up the spring bit and allow it to get lodged somewhere hard to find when it's time to do your DOO.

As for scouting for GLENN, sorry I'm here on my own and by my own free will......you should know me well enough that I'm not a normal mod for .net.....I speak my mind and get punished just like you would.....I have zero power compared to the other mods because of this. So.....you need to forget about trying to get me fired up here and the resulting issues.....not going to work. I have been a member here for a long time, a few years longer than you no???

......:13:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
As for scouting for GLENN, sorry I'm here on my own and by my own free will......you should know me well enough that I'm not a normal mod for .net.....I speak my mind and get punished just like you would.....I have zero power compared to the other mods because of this. So.....you need to forget about trying to get me fired up here and the resulting issues.....not going to work. I have been a member here for a long time, a few years longer than you no???

......:13:

Thread derail alert!

I'm glad to have you here.

Ironic choice of word "punished". Have you looked at the Banned from the other, new to this one thread?
It's going on 7 pages.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Nobody tells the new guy where all the best threads are now a days!...Damn you all....lol....Now where was that....7 pages eh....?....lol.....Be right back......:desismiley1::animal0019:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got the doohickey itself and spring in today but now I have to wait for the puller, cam bolt, and cam tool because I didn't know I needed those before. Hopefully they will be in before next weekend.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Make sure it's calibrated correctly or you may snap the bolt off, then you will be whinning!!!! 130 foot pounds is a lot of pressure and it already feels like it's gonna snap at that.:13:
Just saying.:t1202:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I too have a noisy engine, 2011 model with just over 5k on the engine.
Cant be absolutely sure where the noise is coming from, (dealer claims there is no noise)I suppose I ought to try the old screwdriver from engine to ear method. Sounds like the top of engine to me at this juncture.
The noise has been there since..it first reached maybe 1.5, 2k? cant recall exactly.
Of course I took it to the dealer when this first became constant. When I left it for servicing they assured me all was well and there were no abnormal noises.

The dealer service writer was reading from a script he had memorized in having to answer KLR owners questions and concerns about abnormal engine noises.
Something including the words "large displacement single cylinder bikes are noisy by nature" blah, blah, while avoiding eye contact. This same scenario went down the second time I went back with the same concerns.

Eventually I wrote them off as smoke screening for KMC who it seems has refused to acknowledge the inherent faults with this engine. Its just a frustrating waste of time to try to get the dealer to even listen let alone fix the problem.
Sooo... fast forward to the 5k mark and Im ready to embark on a ride down state from Portland Oregon and into Northern California to Auburn/Tahoe area for the CJMC show in Auburn next weekend.
I rode the KLR down state and back last month racking up almost 800 miles in a couple of days and everything went well. So Im gonna install my new Sargent seat, saddle up and head out probably Thursday. Hopefully whatever is making the noise (sounds rhythmic to me, doesn't seem to me that broken bits of spring would have a consistent sound like it does?!) doesn't cause my engine to grenade. Maybe Im in denial and will wind up walking down the road when this thing blows up mid ride next week but wouldn't it have gotten a lot louder by now if there were broken bits in there? Ive done several oil changes and didn't see any metal fragments.

Its unbelievable to me that owners of these new/newish engines are footing the whole bill for this well documented problem. Is it possible that there IS valve noise in there? Everyone, dealer, independent mech, etc has assured me that there is NO WAY it can be valve noise...just not possible they say.
If it does blow up Im gonna seek out legal resolution, is there a class action suit being formed? That and I would like to dump the dead carcass of the bike on the doorstep of KMC in Irvine Calif. Ive owned over 30 bikes since 1977 and never felt that I was negligent in caring for my bikes and have always credited the many Kawasakis Ive owned for being exceptionally well built without being expensive...not anymore.
Kawasaki has lost a supporter in me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did the dealer what?

Tell me what I was hearing?...No..I tried to get them to hear the engine noise.

As I said the dealer/service writer reacts to my questions (after having him listen to the engine) by going into a rehearsed speech about how large single displacement engines are noisy by nature.
Next he starts talking about how KLR 650s don't need valve attention until 7k or something like that so its impossible that its valve noise.

First off, my ride went well and the bike performed very well.
I was operating the bike in 100-108 F and it didn't grenade so I guess that's a sign the engine is still pretty well put together.:Quit complaining:
Secondly, the dealer is insane saying that "its impossible" NOTHING is impossible, the best engines in the world sometimes have problems.

Another very good mechanic agrees with me that the noise is not coming from the lower left side of the bike.
It seems to be coming from the right side, maybe up high and slightly toward the rear.
Maybe when Summer is over I will open up the engine and figure this out, its still frustrating to me the Kawasaki is denying any responsibility.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
How hard is it to do just the spring? Do you need any special tools to do only that?
To get to the spring you have to remove the Doo and inner case so you may as well replace the Doo at the same time. Best to use the torsion spring too.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
If it does blow up Im gonna seek out legal resolution, is there a class action suit being formed? That and I would like to dump the dead carcass of the bike on the doorstep of KMC in Irvine Calif. Ive owned over 30 bikes since 1977 and never felt that I was negligent in caring for my bikes and have always credited the many Kawasakis Ive owned for being exceptionally well built without being expensive...not anymore.
Kawasaki has lost a supporter in me.
If your bike blows up (after 5000 miles, presumably after any warranty has expired), with what negligence/malfeasance/etc. will you charge the dealer/manufacturer, klrmichael?

No lawyer, I, but I imagine you'd have to prove the source of the sounds you reported, and the dealership ignored, caused the malfunction/damage, to receive a judgment and collect civil damages.

A truly threatening, and noisy, condition may exist in your engine; however, proving this after the sound source causes catastrophic engine failure may be difficult, seems to me.

Plus, whatever plaintiff legal challenge you make will be opposed by a phalanx of the best-and-brightest lawyers already on retainer to Kawasaki.

My wish for you, your KLR does not grenade on you; but if it does, you receive a righteous settlement if the dealership/manufacturer is responsible for the malfunction.

-----------------------------

For older readers: Where is KLR's RALPH NADER? :)

For younger readers: Ralph Nader was a "consumer advocate," whose charge of, "Unsafe at any speed," killed the Chevrolet Corvair, an air-cooled compact automobile. Actually, the latter-day Corvair was serviceable and safe, IMHO; its suspension modified since Nader's earlier criticism. Not to carry a brief for Chevrolet, but . . . the last Army "issue" Jeep had a suspension quite similar to that of the early Corvairs throughout its service life. None was ever sold as surplus (frames were torched upon retirement), possibly because of potential liability from putting this suspension in the hands of untrained civilians.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts