Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2009 KLR 650
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my side stand had a major gangster lean and I figured o would take it off and close the gap with a BFH.. well one of the sides snapped off.. I know bonehead move! So now I need to either weld it or get another side stand. Any one else run into this issue?
Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Wood

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,413 Posts
Replace.

Reactions: Adamaged1

· Registered
2009 KLR 650
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at it it’s definitely cast, seems like a bad idea for a part that supports the bike but what do I know?! Can’t find one on eBay so looks like $96 bucks on partzilla unless anyone knows any other sites to buy parts..

· Premium Member
12,573 Posts
IF owners & dealerships would tighten the side stand pivot bolts and then tighten the jam nuts on the back-sides during Break-In Maintenance and occasionally Lube the pivot (and upper spring hook) with 90W gear oil or chain lube the clevis's wouldn't wedge Open or wear as much.

And for the life of me, I can't understand WHY Kawasaki moved the spring to the back side of the Gen 2 side stands.
That placement Increases wear on the pivot, especially when not lubed. (Can you all see the beveling at the top of the un-broken portion?)
With the springs on the exterior side like Gen 1's, the natural stroke of ones foot Reduces the drag on the lower portion of the frame tab and upper inner portion of the stand clevis.
Two different brands & 5 models of bikes in my shop all have the side stand springs on the exterior of the stands.
(I'll blame the Thailand 'Engineers' for another snafu!)

You need a replacement stand. And possibly a replacement pivot bolt & jam nut?

· Registered
08 KLR stock stock stock with doo-hickey.
121 Posts
I had some kickstand fun with my 08 a few months ago, adjusting to my lowering links. Since I needed to shorten kickstand to compensate for lowering, and I wasn't sure if I was keeping the lowering links or not, I just built a complete replacement kickstand out of steel and tubing, that is telescoping adjustable.

I still have my stock kickstand. I will never use it again, now that I have this adjustable one. You can have it for the postage.

I think they moved the folding spring from where it belongs to where it is to accommodate that stupid kickstand safety switch that fudges up from mud-intrusion. And I believe the top of the kickstand is some sort of machined mystery alloy, not cast, and probably not reliably weldable by me in the back yard. The kickstand top is welded to the kickstand tube, but who knows what sort of laser-magic-tig welding process the iron-pig factory used.

PM me and I'll let you know how many canadian pesos it will cost to have the Canada Post snail caravan carry my no-longer-used stock kickstand to you.

Pictured is my home-made adjustable length kickstand painted black. Sitting on top of it for length comparison is the stock factory kickstand. Note that my home made kickstand makes no provision to actuate the idiot switch. I will be the idiot who rides away with my kickstand down and doinks mysyelf on my first left turn....
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Crankset

· Registered
2009 KLR 650
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had some kickstand fun with my 08 a few months ago, adjusting to my lowering links. Since I needed to shorten kickstand to compensate for lowering, and I wasn't sure if I was keeping the lowering links or not, I just built a complete replacement kickstand out of steel and tubing, that is telescoping adjustable.

I still have my stock kickstand. I will never use it again, now that I have this adjustable one. You can have it for the postage.

I think they moved the folding spring from where it belongs to where it is to accommodate that stupid kickstand safety switch that fudges up from mud-intrusion. And I believe the top of the kickstand is some sort of machined mystery alloy, not cast, and probably not reliably weldable by me in the back yard. The kickstand top is welded to the kickstand tube, but who knows what sort of laser-magic-tig welding process the iron-pig factory used.

PM me and I'll let you know how many canadian pesos it will cost to have the Canada Post snail caravan carry my no-longer-used stock kickstand to you.

Pictured is my home-made adjustable length kickstand painted black. Sitting on top of it for length comparison is the stock factory kickstand. Note that my home made kickstand makes no provision to actuate the idiot switch. I will be the idiot who rides away with my kickstand down and doinks mysyelf on my first left turn....
View attachment 39360
Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately I just pulled the trigger on a new one from Rev zilla. If it falls through I’ll pm you! Thanks again

· Registered
2022 KLR650
399 Posts

View attachment 39360
If I were you.... I'd work a deal for a Rear Sprocket trade! ;)

Cool adjustable Kick Stand and VERY COOL offer to help with your old one!

Willie

· Registered
39 Posts
Like most said, not weldable, even if you could pre-heat, too thin, will crack. New stand, preferably steel, not cast.
You can cut off cast part, "the top," and weld up a duplicate piece. Actually, could do it easily, any welder could.

· Registered
08 KLR stock stock stock with doo-hickey.
121 Posts
Thread hi-jack warning... MN Willie mentions my rear sprocket .... appears to be beyond its best before date...
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Wood Crankset

here's a better look at the sprocket. I've put about 2000 miles on the bike since I got it, and the PO claimed "new sprockets and chain" with zero miles. Chain and sprockets did look clean and new. About 400 kms after I got it, I put on a new DID X-ring gold chain, taking the chain from the KLR and shortening it a tad and using it on my 1981 XT250.

How bad is this sprocket?

· Registered
2022 KLR650
399 Posts
Thread hi-jack warning... MN Willie mentions my rear sprocket .... appears to be beyond its best before date...
View attachment 39543

here's a better look at the sprocket. I've put about 2000 miles on the bike since I got it, and the PO claimed "new sprockets and chain" with zero miles. Chain and sprockets did look clean and new. About 400 kms after I got it, I put on a new DID X-ring gold chain, taking the chain from the KLR and shortening it a tad and using it on my 1981 XT250.

How bad is this sprocket?
Only the Shadow knows! ;)

It looks worn. The photo is limited in scope.

Willie

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,411 Posts
Fun fact, previous owners comments are 100% BS. (Example, this was my grandmother's bike and she only rode it to play bingo twice a year) 😄

Personally, I replace all sprockets and the chain simultaneously to avoid any premature wear of 1 or all components. If you just put a new chain on worn sprockets, the chain wear will be accelerated. Just my 2 cents worth

· Premium Member
12,573 Posts
here's a better look at the sprocket. I've put about 2000 miles on the bike since I got it, and the PO claimed "new sprockets and chain" with zero miles. Chain and sprockets did look clean and new.
Makes one wonder, what caused the one broken tooth?

But one broken tooth on a rear sprocket wouldn't be / have been too detrimental to its overall life span, if it had never been Noticed! The profile of the other visible teeth are not Bad. Would probably still run 10 / 15k miles with the DID X-ring chain on it.

When you removed the previous owners installed chain to install onto the Yamaha, did you stretch it out on the floor or work bench & examine closely for any twisted/kinked links? Or is that WHY it was shortened & installed onto the Yamaha?

· Premium Member
187 Posts
Makes one wonder, what caused the one broken tooth?

But one broken tooth on a rear sprocket wouldn't be / have been too detrimental to its overall life span, if it had never been Noticed! The profile of the other visible teeth are not Bad. Would probably still run 10 / 15k miles with the DID X-ring chain on it.

When you removed the previous owners installed chain to install onto the Yamaha, did you stretch it out on the floor or work bench & examine closely for any twisted/kinked links? Or is that WHY it was shortened & installed onto the Yamaha?

DID off topic side note

I used to run RK chains and then I acquired a DID when I bought a bunch of KLR stuff from some guy who has sold his bike. Something like 1/3 less stretching with the DID and it went 13000 HARD dirty miles plus I also always run the factory rear sprocket, they wear less than any sprocket I have ever used on anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts