Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

To Wrap or Not to Wrap?

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  R/L 
#1 ·
Hey All,
I was staring at my bike today after a 150 mile trip and the exhaust aesthetics came to mind. I was thinking about wrapping it when I remove it to fix two of the heat weak points. I know a wrap would help pull heat from the engine effectively cooling it better but what kind of cons are there? I am also thinking about getting a thermobob and was wondering if the wrap would be a bad idea to pair with it. I've been having a weird time with the cooling system lately so I just want to have it be the best I can get it

Thanks so much
Rudd

#2 ·
Coincidentally I’ve been thinking of wrapping my pipe but haven’t got there yet. I already run a Thermo-bob on my bike. What material you thinking of using?? I’ve been cruising Amazon for options but being the first time I purchase this material not sure what to buy. Are you wrapping the muffler too?

#3 ·
What weird cooling system things have been happening? Check you nipple on the bottom of the overflow tank. Mine melted off. The fix is a new tank and a home made heat shield. My other issue was the impeller shaft snapping which caused it to overheat. That is huge PITA but there is a work around with an electric pump if you don't feel like ripping your engine apart. I always liked the look of the wrapped exhaust.

#5 ·
Klr4evr, I'm also unsure about the material but I've read about titanium and fiberglass? Autozone sells a roll labeled titanium exhaust wrap I considered getting because I like the texture and color but have no idea about function. I was planning on just doing the header pipe and maybe all the way back to where the airbox is to try and help any melting that might happen. Vernmented, my nipple melted shut and I have a small shield on it now after drilling it out. I plan on getting new tank and making a more permanent shield but was thinking wrapping would help. I have not heard of the impeller shaft problem, could you elaborate?

#6 ·
Is your bike still overheating? It might be worth taking your water pump cover off to inspect if you are having issues. Somewhat common and a real pain.

#8 ·
The truely Stainless Steel Gen 2 header pipe would survive heat-tape wrapping better than the Gen 1 stain-Less steel header pipe, imo.
I've used Helix brand heat-wrap tape on a couple of atvs. Common steel header pipes will burn thru from the inside-out fairly quickly. The stain-Less of a Gen1 should be less prone to burn-thru. The Stainless of a Gen 2 'should be' even better.
A Gen 2 header pipe will fit all years of KLR650 and Always use a New header pipe gasket.

#9 ·
I wrapped my pipe with titanium/fiberglass tape from Amazon with no ill effects so far. The pipe as it exits the head gets so hot at idle it glows cherry red at night. That worried me considering the close proximity to the thermobob hose and the reservoir tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.