Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tom,

How about a 685 report? You should have enough miles on it to have it broken in yes?

What ya think?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, yeah? Great subject line...Tom gets lost in the mall a lot. ;)

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
Well, I'm not quite ready yet. I'm not satisfied with the tune; it's still a bit rich.

I got the dumb idea, after my first few runs with the wideband O2 sensor in, that I needed to go up on the main jet and down on the needle. The result of that is a too-rich mixture at cruise. I would be fiddling with it, but I got (like a trout) distracted by shiny stuff. Seahorse cases...

Anyway, on that trip I took a week or so ago I got 42 mpg, down from my usual 47. Most of the time was running at 5000-5700 rpm, though.

Normally on a trip like that I would have kept it below 5000 rpm to try and abate the oil burning and still would have had to top off with a quart or so. The bike has almost a 1000 miles on the 685 and there is no perceptible oil use. That's a success.

I can't ride it the way I rode before, as the front end will come up too easily. I know that's hard to believe, but I've had the front end two feet in the air, unexpectedly, twice now and have had the front end quite light several times. Once was on an exit from a corner; quite disconcerting.

With me on the bike sitting straight up (I stick up quite a bit, being broad in the shoulders 'n narrow at the hip and all, not to mention devilishly handsome), and with bags on the back that make the ass end wider than an ax handle and a plug of tobacco, my top speed used to be limited to about 90 mph (gps). Last Thursday I hit an honest 99.5 mph. I suppose if I leaned over a bit or didn't have the bags on it would top 100. That was westbound 91, which around here is always into the wind, catching up to an R1.

The weeping around the base turned out to be a false alarm and it will hopefully stay that way. Time will tell. I know I damn sure ain't taking it apart to fix it unless it starts looking like Jed Clampett's south 40.

I'm pretty happy with it and just need to get in there and put the old main in and find a happy clip position on the needle.

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Glad the seep turned out to be nothing. Now I want to ride your bike. ;)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Normally on a trip like that I would have kept it below 5000 rpm to try and abate the oil burning and still would have had to top off with a quart or so. The bike has almost a 1000 miles on the 685 and there is no perceptible oil use. That's a success.

I can't ride it the way I rode before, as the front end will come up too easily. I know that's hard to believe, but I've had the front end two feet in the air, unexpectedly, twice now and have had the front end quite light several times. Once was on an exit from a corner; quite disconcerting.

Wow no oil burning imagine that. You had head work done also yes, the bike not your "devilishly handsome" self!

.... (like a trout) distracted by shiny stuff.

Trout? Did someone say trout? It's almost trout season again!!

uh sorry, got distracted.

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
Spec -

Yes, trout season is upon us. or, as I call them, Leons.

Leon Trotsky, Leon Troutsky, just Leon for short... They are, after all, rebellious little pukes, worthy of parsimonious piscatorial pursuits. Standing in a river and waving a stick and all that.

Planning to go for some TWAs (browns, Trout With Attitude) sometime this year.

I had the headwork done and the "big" valves put in. I think they are 1 or 2mm bigger than stock. Sheesh.

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Think I'll go fishing tomm. :)

Not trout, but so be it.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
First Saturday in May..

Nom nom nom nom nom..

Although I sold my trout fishing mobile. It was pretty much the only thing I did on the Wing.. I'll have to figure out a new rod holder for one of the bikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts