Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for a GPS device and have narrowed it down to these two.

Garmin Zumo : http://www.garmin.com/zumo/

OR

TomTom Rider : http://www.tomtom.com/products/categ...D=1&Language=4

They both have similar features and are both about the same price ($600-700)
The Rider comes with a Blutooth headset and the Zumo does not. I have done some searching and found a lot of info on the Zumo but not too much on the Rider. I would like to know if anyone here has experience with the Rider?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, I did some more research and found that the Zumo will also import and export TOPO maps and you can even look at your travels via http://www.motionbased.com/ and see a 3D version on Google Earth! The Zumo is also waterproof here is the quote from the site "Waterproof: IEC 60529 IPX7 standards (submersible in one meter of water for up to 30 min.)" They show the suggested retail at $1076.91 but I have seen it out on the net and on ebaY for around $600. It also comes with a Ram motorcycle mount and a car mount. I'm not completly sold yet but it sure looks like a strong contender.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It's got soem really cool motorcycle specific features. Too bad it's got XM. I'm already paying for Sirius for my car. Would be cool if I could only pay one bill.

If I don't get a GPS this summer/spring I know the price will drop dramatically on the Zumo. This might be a contender down the road. I really dig the tie-in with Google Earth. Nice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, Yeah I have Sirius too and it would be nice if they would give you a choice.

I just found this: When zūmo calculates that the motorcycle is low on fuel, it automatically reminds the rider and suggests a route to a nearby gas station. Zūmo even has a compass page and accepts electronic topo maps -- making it the ultimate off-road navigator. For those long trips, riders can stay entertained with zūmo?s built-in MP3 player.

Here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/garmin-zumo/

I am amazed at just how much stuff they have packed in that little thing. I mean it has a 3.5" screen and the dimensioins are only 4.8" W x 3.9" H x 1.6" D only an inch and a half deep! that is amazing!!

So Biker scout where is Kalifornication?? L.A. area?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think those are both overpriced for what you get. And just having Bluetooth shouldn't be the item that tips the scale.

Pick a GPS unit that will allow you to upload maps. Topo maps are a real plus with a Dual Sport.

I'm looking at the Lowrance Baja 540. Waterproof and Shock Resistant.

http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/Products/GMBaja540c.asp

GPSCity.com has them for around $475
I'm wondering about that antenna - how big is that thing and where would you mount it? Other than that, the Lowrance seems like a winner.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I just got one I bought off E-Bay for the RV, it has Microsoft Streets and Trips, and a Holux GPS receiver that plugs into a laptop. ( I can now see the map ) unlike my POS Marridian Gold I bought for the bike. $72 is a lot better than the price I was looking at for a Tom Tom, or Garmin I was going to buy to replace the Marridian.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
All that stuff is nice, but I need a rock solid performer in a small package, with a good battery life.

My Quest has internal batteries and on my KLR, I don't run a powered cradle. I've had the Quest last over 20 hours without recharging.

I bought 2 other GPS's before finding the Quest. I've since sold the other 2, and the Quest has been a steady partner for 2 years, for both work and play..

I love the AVOID HIGHWAY feature..:11a:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I run a Garmin Quest with the same cradle. Love it.

Got a great deal on ShipDog.com

Leader

All that stuff is nice, but I need a rock solid performer in a small package, with a good battery life.

My Quest has internal batteries and on my KLR, I don't run a powered cradle. I've had the Quest last over 20 hours without recharging.

I bought 2 other GPS's before finding the Quest. I've since sold the other 2, and the Quest has been a steady partner for 2 years, for both work and play..

I love the AVOID HIGHWAY feature..:11a:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I even mounted it on my Wing.. I'm more than likely going to Gold Wing Hell for drilling holes through the emblem on my fader, though..:23a:

·
Registered
815 Posts
The Zumo is definately nice, but a complete ripoff. Some of the features they brag about are nothing special programming wise. There is absolutely no justification for it's price because hardware isn't all that much different then thousands of other GPS units. Waterproofing has been around for years, who the hell needs 30 meters (Read gimmick) for a motorcycle? Take out all the standard features and then look at what you actually get for that extra monster price. $600 is getting better, but reality still says overpriced. Seems you tag the word motorcycle on anything and somehow they think it's worth 3 times the price.

All GPS units have their issues hardware and software wise. I ended up with the new Mio C520. I basically wanted portable maps with some routing ability and to know where my exact position is. Don't care about topo's because I don't ever wonder off trails and don't care if the next hill is 200' or 2000' feet. If I'm there to ride the trail, then I'm going to ride it until I "see" something I can't get up, don't need to guess from the topo. If I need to get out, then I look at my position from the nearest road and take the trail headed that way.

The Quest is definately one of their biggest selling lines, but touchscreen still wasn't used with their Quest 2's. For the price, touchscreen should had been standard on Q2's.

The c520 has a 4.3 diagonal touchscreen that allows panning maps really quickly and precisely. It's panning/zooming speed is amazing and it's only rival is the Nuvi in that department. I suspect the Zumo is based on the Nuvi line so it'll compare also.

It's routing speed is pretty amazing also, beating out even Nuvi in some cases. The c520 comes standard with full North America maps and routing ability, where a lot of GPS units that only have base maps and you have to purchase the routing abilities extra. All GPS have their map issues, but the c520 has the long awaited map updates that are also available for older models and are very inexpensive compared to other brands.

The Mio c310x was a huge seller due to it's $200 ($150 black friday debut) price tag and it's outstanding speed, routing, 3.5" touchscreen and everything else. The c520 took the c310 a leep forward for only $100 more. Got mine for $300 at buydig.

It would be nice bonus to setup routes on the PC and tranfer them over, but that is, unfortunately, a feature it lacks. But it does save locations and you can always select them and reroute quickly, so no biggy really for I was initially after with a GPS.

HOWEVER!!!

The MIO's have sort of a cult following due to their ability to be hacked and used as PDA's and run other software including other mapping software, mp3 players, calenders, photo viewers, video players...etc. It's a WinCE based GPS that opens the door for a lot of mods. Not necessarily for the average Joe to be tinkering with though.

Anyway, just had some time to kill and thought I'd post about the MIO c520 as another GPS option for anyone looking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
at shipdog.com, the quest II is 415 while the zumo is 485. I like my quest I, but I only paid about 250 for it. for 70 over the quest II, I would probably choose the zumo.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The 550 is running around $685 right now, if someone found one for $600, they should have snagged it up.

Not a whole lot of difference between the models, but there are 4 different variations of the Zumo. They just show n/a for the 400 specs, I guess it's the stripped down, barely functional mode.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My zumo 450 croaked today. It worked when I got home last night and today it wouldn't power up. ARGH.:18:
I hope it is somthing simple like a power issue. I have a Garmin Vista for the quad and I use a 1st generation Streetpilot on the bikes. I was thinking of upgrading to a zumo. I cant see the screen on the vista any more without my reading glasses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bought my 550 Zumo about a year ago online for $600. I wanted one for my car and for my bike. I hard mounted a cradle to my bike and have a cradle in my truck--all included in the kit. One thing I really like about the Zumo is I can plug in music sd's and look at my photo's on the Zumo screen. I do not use the radio nor the bluetooth phone, but with the merge of XM/Srius I may sign up soon for radio. No problems and it has been through a few rainstorms on the bike. Good unit IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I run a Tom Tom 1, the same one in my car. I wired up a power outlet on the front fairing of my 08 and i put in in my tank bag. it works great i can change it as i ride and was about 300 canadian. It works great and is protected from the elements and is blue tooth aswell.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts