Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning riding to work, still dark but with dawn approaching I was following a pickup truck on a two lane that has what we call here a "breakdown" lane or shoulder if you will. The pickup began to slow down and move onto the shoulder. Not unusual here, it could mean he will be turning right onto another road or maybe he is having car trouble or he is going to make a U TURN. In front of ME. In hindsight had I maintained my speed I would have passed before he began his u turn but I had slowed to around 40 MPH from 55 because I wasn't sure what he was doing. I could not stop in time. I could not go right because he was there. I went left, hard, and into the opposing breakdown lane then hard right to stay out of the ditch and get back into my lane again. Inches. Could not have been more than inches as I passed. I desperately wanted to go back and kick someones ass but after an adrenaline rush like that my legs were rubber and I shook for 30 minutes.

I know in my mind that had I been riding a heavier less responsive bike I could not have had any hope of maneuvering my way out of this one and not t-boning the truck.

I must have a guardian angel. Thank you.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yeah, that kind of stuff sucks!! Going back wouldn't have accomplished anything, he would still blame you somehow, not care and go about his day. Nobody cares about anything anymore, it's every person for themselves.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey. Be proud of yourself. YOUR perception and skill saved the day.
Thanks. Not so sure it was skill or just a reaction out of pure terror :-0

1 - 4 of 4 Posts