Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2009 KLR. It now has 11,000+ miles on it. Is it too late for a thermo-bob fix? I noticed it did burn some oil on a 250-mile trip. Just wondering if the damage is already done.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not having a thermo bob does not damage the engine.
I put over a 120,000 on my 08, no thermobob .
08/09 burn oil (not all) .
The piston Kawasaki used these 2 years only has 4 TINY holes on 2 sides for oil drain back.
Either learn how much it uses and carry oil or put a 685 in it.
Mine would still be burning oil if I had checked the valves, I never checked them.
Since installing the 685 I burn no oil and I ride it very hard I’m not nice to it at all.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
How much oil is it using?

I have nice 2004 with about 18k miles and if I cruise at over 5,500 RPM (not recommended by the KLR intelligentsia) it uses about 4-6 oz per tank. I replaced the stock countershaft sprocket (15T) with a larger 17T and now freeway speeds are within reach with the RPM staying below 5,100 RPM. Cheap and easy for sure - but it's a KLR so I check the oil at EVERY fillup.

If the oil consumption is a problem, the best plan would be the 685 kit and T-Bob.
But even if you choose to just do the 685 kit alone is >= 90% of the value and longevity.

You should also explore the oil flow mods by the great and powerful wizard: PDW

Reactions: pdwestman

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
While it's better to install a T bob as early as possible, it is never to late to upgrade the cooling system. Yes the thermobob likely helps mitigate the cylinder distortion that is common to all KLR's (Early Gen2's just have a worse piston/ring design that is less likely to control the oil, particularly with a degree of bore distortion)........is it too late? impossible to say, but are you burning excessive oil now?

Dave

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really not sure how much it is burning. I only have the one trip to base it on. I had to put a half a quart in after thar run. I've got a longer ride coming up in a couple of weeks and will start with fresh oil and keep an eye on levels and have a quart or two with me. I'll know more after that 4 day ride.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I'd put the money you set aside for a ThermoBob and just put a 685 in it. Unlike a 'Bob, a 685 will increase your enjoyment of the bike probably 50%+! I should have put that 790 on my DR650. My biggest regret.

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not having a thermo bob does not damage the engine.
I put over a 120,000 on my 08, no thermobob .
08/09 burn oil (not all) .
The piston Kawasaki used these 2 years only has 4 TINY holes on 2 sides for oil drain back.
Either learn how much it uses and carry oil or put a 685 in it.
Mine would still be burning oil if I had checked the valves, I never checked them.
Since installing the 685 I burn no oil and I ride it very hard I’m not nice to it at all.
That is good to know. I am going to keep an eye on it so I have a better idea of how much is burning. I have a 4 day trip coming up. That will be a good test. I'll keep a couple of quarts with me. Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I were in your shoes, I'd put the money you set aside for a ThermoBob and just put a 685 in it. Unlike a 'Bob, a 685 will increase your enjoyment of the bike probably 50%+! I should have put that 790 on my DR650. My biggest regret.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
Or do both; Eaglemike recommends a T-bob with a fresh 685 to maximize longevity.....

Dave

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
786 Posts
What OCL said. The thermobob is recommended by many, and I do feel there is a benefit to installing one.
But….I don’t plan on installing one.
Six8five just peeped in and his klr made it to 120k without the thermobob. That’s good enough for me….

·
Registered
393 Posts
Or do both; Eaglemike recommends a T-bob with a fresh 685 to maximize longevity.....

Dave
Absolutely!

I had a friend who had a DR790. He let me ride it. Holy Moses what a beast! His bike would cruise at 85-90 with small throttle openings (same revs though). It had midrange better than my VStrom 650. Would loft the front wheel on throttle...and not too much of it either. I don't know if it was something I would want to ride on trails in 1st gear though because it had so much torque down low, and he had a pumper carb on it. So the throttle response was immediate. Jerk that throttle and away you went and maybe wheelie! Great fun on pavement. And when I rode it, the bike was wearing a 16 tooth sprocket and the motor easily pulled that tall gear without much effort. Short shift it to second and it didn't matter to it...no chugging.

·
Registered
Tan 2008: DooBob and Raised
15 Posts
My 08 doesn't burn oil at 5500 rpm all day long. The tbob was put on at 2000 miles along with the doohicky. My parents bought the bike but let it sit at 500 miles (5000 miles now). No change in oil level for the life of that oil change (3000 for me).
As far as " too late" i would say never too late but save it for after you bore it out. A new seal is going to do more than thermal expansion.

·
Registered
2009 KLR 650
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 08 doesn't burn oil at 5500 rpm all day long. The tbob was put on at 2000 miles along with the doohicky. My parents bought the bike but let it sit at 500 miles (5000 miles now). No change in oil level for the life of that oil change (3000 for me).
As far as " too late" i would say never too late but save it for after you bore it out. A new seal is going to do more than thermal expansion.
Great information. Thanks. Gives me more to consider. -Ray

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts
What OCL said. The thermobob is recommended by many, and I do feel there is a benefit to installing one.
But….I don’t plan on installing one.
Why not?
The Thermo-Bob will provide a quicker warm-up & more stable engine temperature, that may help smooth the EFI operation on cooler/colder mornings. May help as much the clutch lever switch by-pass mod has on you guys 2022's.

Improvements come incrementally and every improvement usually assists the next improvement.
A freer flowing muffler assists the air box mods. Which both assist any jetting changes or EFI tuning changes.
Enlarged oil pipe banjo bolts assist the crankshaft oil control orifice.

Try it, I'm fairly certain that you won't 'dis-like it'. ;)

Reactions: Br549rick

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
786 Posts
Because then I’ll have to wait longer to install a 685 kit :p

·
Registered
08 klr 685 30000 odo
8 Posts
Have an 08 with 685 kit etc done by M-Tech in Bend. It uses a little oil if I really flog it or ride downhill lol. A far cry from the original OMG! quart down in 200 miles. Got 25k miles on the 685. TBob in order? Maybe this winter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts