Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I took apart an '09 oil burner today. From Billings, MT.
9,434 miles, been an oil burner since day one . (error, 29,434 miles)
Owner 'suggest's' that it had been rebuilt by Billings Kaw. Dealer back when, under warranty. (No Record of such by Kawasaki.)

There was very little, if any evidence of previous disassembly! Which is a good thing in my book!

So here is the 'weird' thing. The second ring has what looks to be an "oil rail" installed Under the second ring.
The second ring has a 'dot' on the top side!??? Non OEM! Who's ring set is THAT! Hastings or who? ???????

Original bore size, Front to Rear, 3.9370 inch (Absolute MINIMUEM) . MINUS .003 inches side to side, 3.9343 inches (Under-size), side to side!!! Talk about an 'out of round' cylinder! This is IT! .0027" Under-size, side to side? NUTs!

But, which ring company is 'supplying' a rail, to be installed Under the second ring of an OEM piston? (Still didn't fix the oil consumption.)

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Maybe that rail was the "warranty" service performed by the dealer . . . :)

Regardless . . . whatcha gonna do now? (Inquiring minds want to know!)

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Schnitz 685 kit and cylinder will be heading to Matt, at Import Auto Machine Shop today.
Eagle Manufacturing was on Back Order. :( Oh well.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sandstone,
Sorry, I personally can Not Do Pics! Nor do I even really want to.

What few pics or vids, appear with any of my postings are thru the courtesy of friends!
I do try to not 'impose' anymore than absolutely necessary.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the job is done.
Ben, the owner of this '09 rode it home to Billings, MT. yesterday afternoon.
Talked with him this AM. Likes the "feel" of it. Probably going to change back to Stock gearing. Is currently 14-43, he really doesn't know 'why'?? But was probably about 15,000 miles back, when new chain and sprockets were installed in Billings.

Which brings me to this question. How bloody long, can a KLR650 Gen2 run, with the stock Doo-Hickey LOCKING BOLT LOOSE? With-out turning into a hand-grenade, like some we have seen on the net?

The locking bolt was so 'grooved', I had no choice but to change it, even if I'd of added the flat washer to the EM doo, I'd of wanted to change the locking bolt. But I DID have to re-machine the flat surface of the inner cover. Where the "cycling" Doo had worn a pair of "Trenches" into the aluminum inner cover!

Sorry Guys, No Pics.

Ben says the oil window is 100% full after his 300-350 mile ride home.
I did 'scribe' his oil window at the 2 quarts filled mark, when I did a 100 mile 'break-in' oil change, so he could seen when it was a full pint Low. Before this work, he'd of been adding oil. I'll give 99% of the reduced oil consumption to the Schnitz 685 kit at this time. Maybe we will all get to hear about long term useage, maybe not!
At Bens allowance, after reading lots of Our postings, I drilled all three banjo bolts. And tapped the oil filter Cover, for a 'Restrictor' Orifice. But did NOT install one.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
I'm not going to fix my oil burner until I've given all the oil mods a good shake.

When am I going to get some numbers up on the modded cover????!!!

This week, this week for sure. Dang it.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts