Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting started out with my new KLR and would like some suggestions on what to put in my travel tool kit?

·
Administrator
8,254 Posts
crowbird -

Here's a bit to get you started. In this thread, Buildit probably gave the best advice - change the tires on your bike using the stock tools and everytime you have to grab for a tool that the stock toolkit doesn't have, consider adding it to the pile of stuff you will carry.

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=6961

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I use a PVC tube, attached behind the rear tire.
Check out the silver tube front tire on my bike.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I keep my toolkit above my headlight.

It'a a large fannypack. I tightened the belt so that it slips over the windshield. A couple more straps to keep it there during those crazy get-offs.

" What's in it? ".... you ask...

The thing in the center plastic bag is a waterpump seal remover/Installer. oldsixfifty made that up on the very first NorCal tech day here. I've never needed it. I subscribe to the 'would rather have it and not need it' Idea.
The little bag at the top right has extra nut/bolts.
This kit has saved me a couple of times. Once I even "stiched" my fan hub back onto the fan...course.. we almost died that day too..:62:

Forgot to add this other 'kit' I have.

Larryboy had a few of these first aid boxes around. (ask him what happened to his) So I mounted it up.
all it has now is a spare headlight. used to have a clutch cable it there. but used is a few months back.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Credit card, Cell phone
Pearlblue,
If I'm on my Wing, I agree.. On the KLR or the BMW, a good tool kit will get you out of trouble faster than you can call for help..

Both are simple bikes, and a good set of tools and common sense will fix almost all issues in less than an hour, if you actually do have an issue. :D

I assisted changing tires (with a machine) on my Wing and I'd NEVER consider doing a tire related item on the road with it.. The Elite III's were stiffer than my car tires with air in them.:(

But, working on my KRL or BMW is a snap, and the more you work on it, the more you'll know your bike.:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pearlblue,
If I'm on my Wing, I agree.. On the KLR or the BMW, a good tool kit will get you out of trouble faster than you can call for help..

Both are simple bikes, and a good set of tools and common sense will fix almost all issues in less than an hour, if you actually do have an issue. :D

I assisted changing tires (with a machine) on my Wing and I'd NEVER consider doing a tire related item on the road with it.. The Elite III's were stiffer than my car tires with air in them.:(

But, working on my KRL or BMW is a snap, and the more you work on it, the more you'll know your bike.:)
Actually I do 100% of the wrenching on my own GL, and am usually directly responsible in some degree with wrenching on many others. Plus being directly involved in 29 (to date) Traxxion Suspension upgrades.
So I am very familiar with tools, and experience :).
My comment was made because more than often when "Murphy" appears you want to have everything available to help you. Sometimes knowledge and tools are not enough. When that happens it is nice to be able to call for back up.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Glad to hear we're on the same page.. My 1800 hasn't been to the dealer since new.. Actually, paying someone for changing a tire was a first for me in over 15 years.

Service on the Ol' KLR is a snap.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Man you guys carry a lot of tools. What you can't use your bare hands like men? :character00268:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
My brother in law got me a sweet kit for Christmas a year or two ago. And I'm gonna put a tube on...takes up a lot of trunk room.

I suppose I should stop dorking around. I have one of those cheap $5 led flashlights. Basic tools. Leatherman. Probably an extra pocket knife. And a field crutch. I pretty much added as needed as well. The stock tool kit is a good start. Not as good as the one for my 73 Honda though. Better metal. Better 'hidden' location, too.

I have a basic survival/first aid kit, too. My trunk is half full. Oh, and zipties and some wire. And loctite. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Mark, like you I will soon have a Big 4 Inch Tube. It was given to me by one of the SoCal locals. To be installed later.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I use a toolbox w/ the bottom drilled out (n' washers) that doubles as toolbox
and trunk. Didn't say it was pretty, but works pretty well. lol

You can have a layer of tools n' essentials in a layer at the bottom of the saddlebags, too.
The PVC and butt-bags are a great idea but I haven't implemented them.........yet.

CheapMark

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ok so I just added a tool tube down by the skid plate, rounding up tools and such. My questions on tire irons, what works what doesnt? I remove my street bike rims but have tires mounted, so I dont really have experience with irons. I dont wanna buy something that bites. Also I picked up a Co2 setup, but wonder if a small pump might be a safer bet?

·
Registered
650 Posts
nobull,

Check my Pics... those 2 irons will get the job done. 3 would be a touch better.
Make it to a techday and have a go at changing a tube. there is a couple tricks to it. like starting the take-off at the valve stem .. and the put on.. on the other side. Making sure the other side of the tire is down in the well. baby powder makes it nice so the tube doesn't pinch. Plus you'll smell all girly....
The Co2 works pretty good. it takes 2 bottles in the front to make it out of the woods. more in the back especially if you're packing gear. If you can get a better "bicycle" pump. that would be better then the stubby. ( I tried. but gave up and used up the Co2 instead)

I'm going to try and get a 12v. pump into my rear toolbox.. that would be the ticket.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ok just thought I might add I removed the tool tube yesterday afternoon. It seems the front tire and the tool tube didnt get along. Good news is I found that new noise that only happens during hard braking.:46:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts