Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to Walmart tonight & found a $10 stainless steel vacuum bottle (generic Thermos) and thought, "You know, if that inner portion could be removed, it'd make a NICE ss tool tube." It wasn't tapered and it's really clean-looking. if I could modify it without boogering it up, I'd have a project. So, I bought it and with lots of cursing and struggle, I hack sawed the end off, just above the cup threads, and then cut/pried,vice-gripped in many little pieces the entire inner container. What's left is a simple stainless tube about 8 inches long and 3.5 inches in diameter. Once I get my crash bars installed, I'll probably hose clamp the tube to the bars somewhere. To secure the cap from unscrewing itself, I riveted two small D-ring like picture hangers to thing: 1 on the cap and 1 directly opposite on the bottle when the cap is on tight. In place, the two D-rings can be tied together with safety wire, plastic wire ties,etc...

http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv355/edgyver/

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
go to potobucket make an account then copy and past pics would be nice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
nice job great inovation.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. Got any bandaids?

I sanded the cut edge of the container opening. But, during (de)construction of the inner chamber, I got nicked a few times. I guess you could say this really was a blood,sweat & tears sort of project! Elsewhere, I read of someone using an old tube sock{pun not intended} to contain the tools therein. I may make up a small drawstring bag to serve the same purpose.

The project started out of necessity & became a scavenger hunt for just the right materials or found object to be modified. Raise your hands if you've walked through a hardware store or wherever and had a clerk ask if you need assistance only to have you reply, "No, thank you. I'm just looking for possible cool motorcycle stuff."
The locally owned store has come to know me. "What are you making *now*?":49:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: I got my crashbars installed and for the life of me couldn't figure out how to mount my thermos-turned-tool-container in an out of the way location that didn't interfere with something. Then, like an idiot, I unsuccessfully tried to shorten the container and made a genuine, royal mess of my $15 project. Completely bummed out, I dug around my spares collection and came up with an old plastic Honda tool container I got off a derelict GL650 at the shop. Sanded & painted with Krylon Fusion plastic paint, it easily attached to the left crashbar with some rubberized "P" clamps and nylon insert nuts over M5 hex bolts. It's angled downward a little and holds a pair of small Vice grip pliers, safety wire, a small 1/4in. socket collection & driver plus a few other small bits & pieces. Why didn't I just do that to begin with? LOL

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
1) Coming in late to say that I thought you did a really nice, innovative job on the thermos bottle.

2) "...a derelict GL650..." :57::(

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2) "...a derelict GL650..."

Yep, it came in for a clutch about 12 years ago and was left after a falling out *** with the shop owner {they *were* friends}. Repeated calls unanswered and no sign of the guy, it sat until vines grew around it like some sort of moto-topiary sculpture. What was once a nice, old Silver Wing turned into a rusting hulk that eventually got hauled off to the salvage yard. Really sad. I found the tool box on the ground among the weeds where it had once stood in silent testimony that bikes should be worn out, not allowed to rust out.

*** The falling out was actually dumb. The GL guy spent months building a HUGE r/c model Piper Cub in the back room at the bike shop. He didn't even know how to fly a radio controlled plane! Trainer time, simulators and luck were not enough. After being warned he'd built the Cub nose heavy and added WAY too much weight to correct it, the guy stubbornly tried to fly it anyway. It crashed in a million pieces. The bike shop owner was standing nearby and simply said, "We told you you weren't ready to fly it solo yet." Or something to that effect. The Cub owner picked up the pieces and left. He never came back for his plane, tools or anything. We've seen him around town. So, we know he's still above ground. Thin skin and all....

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
edgyver

I had a '79 CX500 Deluxe with a color-matched (maroon) with Samsonite bags. It was the best, and I wish I could buy a similar bike today with respect to weight, power and size.

In 1982 we were young and poor, and the wife really needed a new car...

Ever after I have wanted a Silver Wing GL650 and would give away body parts for a CX Turbo...

This was taken the evening that it went away.

Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tool Tube

nice job great inovation.:)
+1 on the idea. I found a neat tool tube that fits nicely under my Happy Trails racks and also on my wee strom. They are plastic with a screw on O ring cap. They are farm tractor manual holders you can get at agra supply's. I will try to find the link. They are only 4 or 5 dollars.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
+1 on the idea. I found a neat tool tube that fits nicely under my Happy Trails racks and also on my wee strom. They are plastic with a screw on O ring cap. They are farm tractor manual holders you can get at agra supply's. I will try to find the link. They are only 4 or 5 dollars.
Cool, do you have a link for the manual holders?

·
Registered
517 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tool Tubes

That's the ones I have. I also bought 2. For the price you can't beat them. They have an O ring cap and fit like a glove on Givi racks. They don't hold as much as my PVC 3.5 inch tube on the front of my KLR but the tube fits so nice on my Wee Strom I had to use it.

I have a 3.5" PVC Tube on the front of my KLR mounted to the skid plate and two smaller 2" PVC tubes mounted on the bottom of both sides of my Happy Trails racks. Together they hold a ton of stuff and make more room for the tools I use more often.

My KLR will be featured in the upcoming edition of Adventure Rider Magazine. If you want to check it out here is the link w w w.advridermag.com Sorry for the spaces between w's but I don't have 15 posts yet. The magazine centers on adventure riding. It has some cool articles from all over the world.

Now I have 15 posts www.advridermag.com

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
That's the ones I have. I also bought 2. For the price you can't beat them. They have an O ring cap and fit like a glove on Givi racks. They don't hold as much as my PVC 3.5 inch tube on the front of my KLR but the tube fits so nice on my Wee Strom I had to use it.

I have a 3.5" PVC Tube on the front of my KLR mounted to the skid plate and two smaller 2" PVC tubes mounted on the bottom of both sides of my Happy Trails racks. Together they hold a ton of stuff and make more room for the tools I use more often.

My KLR will be featured in the upcoming edition of Adventure Rider Magazine. If you want to check it out here is the link w w w.advridermag.com Sorry for the spaces between w's but I don't have 15 posts yet. The magazine centers on adventure riding. It has some cool articles from all over the world.

Now I have 15 posts www.advridermag.com
Snowball how about giving KLRforum readers a preview of your soon to be famous KLR? Please include photos of the farkles. You know a KLRista, teh KLR could be plated ingold with a PCV tool tube and their response would be "look at the tool tube".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't I Know It

Snowball how about giving KLRforum readers a preview of your soon to be famous KLR? Please include photos of the farkles. You know a KLRista, teh KLR could be plated ingold with a PCV tool tube and their response would be "look at the tool tube".
Ain't it the truth:11a: I am just like that myself. That's what I like about KLR's and their owners.:) My pictures don't do justice after seeing the photos the editor had taken. I hope to get some proofs I can post up. For now, here is a teaser or two of the upcoming article.

My KLR mechanic working on the fender bag......:50:

Here she is after a hard days work on my KLR I lovingly refer to as the "Big Red Pig" :)

The photos show my tool tube up front and my twin rocket launchers (tool tubes) on either side of the Happy Trails racks.:character00268:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Ain't it the truth:11a: I am just like that myself. That's what I like about KLR's and their owners.:) My pictures don't do justice after seeing the photos the editor had taken. I hope to get some proofs I can post up. For now, here is a teaser or two of the upcoming article.

My KLR mechanic working on the fender bag......:50:

Here she is after a hard days work on my KLR I lovingly refer to as the "Big Red Pig" :)

The photos show my tool tube up front and my twin rocket launchers (tool tubes) on either side of the Happy Trails racks.:character00268:
Thanks for the photos. Nice pair of racks and launchers.

'Big' maybe but 'Red and Pig' I don't think so. What do you call your KLR?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok questions... Did the PCV come in black or did you have to paint it? What lenght did you go with... and how does it ride on and off road? Also can you tell me what you would advise storing in this locations (Tool Tube let me guess you are going to say tools) I ask due to wondering about damage or vibration. Are you happy with the 3.5 inch diameter or would you have gone 4 inches? And last but not least... how did you connect it to the skid plate? I know 6 inch hose clamps but how many and locations. Thanks and your bike looks great.

Thanks agian
08 KLR rigged out with pelican cases and pretty much anything I can bolt to it... YEAH ANYTHING!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts