Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't take this winter weather anymore.... I gave in and order more Farkles today, as well, I thought I would make a tool tube. I see a number of the memebers have them so this way I will blend in with rest if I ever get the chance to meet up for a ride.

Need to know the length of the pipe..... got every thing else....just need to know where to cut it. Also suggestions for a secure mounting would be helpful.

much appreciated

BackRoader
(stuck in winter, spring is a myth)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I am able to get the black ABS plastic tubes here in 24 inch lengths, in 2, 3, 4, inch diameters. I think the 3 inch is the most popular. Most people mount it to their crash bar which is mounted down in front of the motor. Large hose clamps are used to secure it to the crash bar. I put a 2 inch pipe on one of my side boxes, to hold all the bulbs one would need to replace on the bike. That way they are secure and safe from tools and other things that might break them. As for length maybe 20 inches long or so, you just have to kinda look at it and decide what the right length will be for you. My crash bar is only about 22 inches wide. Also there are test caps that will fit into the pipe and you twist a wing nut to tighten the cap with a compression fit. I like these better than gluing on screw of type caps that are more cumbersome. Some blue locktite will keep the wing nut from backing of and losing the cap. Hope this gives you some place to start.
Here is a link that shows a picture of one mounted and gives some information on it:
http://www.klr650.marknet.us/misc-info.html

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am able to get the black ABS plastic tubes here in 24 inch lengths, in 2, 3, 4, inch diameters. I think the 3 inch is the most popular. Most people mount it to their crash bar which is mounted down in front of the motor. Large hose clamps are used to secure it to the crash bar. I put a 2 inch pipe on one of my side boxes, to hold all the bulbs one would need to replace on the bike. That way they are secure and safe from tools and other things that might break them. As for length maybe 20 inches long or so, you just have to kinda look at it and decide what the right length will be for you. My crash bar is only about 22 inches wide. Also there are test caps that will fit into the pipe and you twist a wing nut to tighten the cap with a compression fit. I like these better than gluing on screw of type caps that are more cumbersome. Some blue locktite will keep the wing nut from backing of and losing the cap. Hope this gives you some place to start.
Here is a link that shows a picture of one mounted and gives some information on it:
http://www.klr650.marknet.us/misc-info.html

I should have just sent you a PM, I figured you would be first to answer this.

Thanks.

I planned on making a couple of Aluminium brakets to hold the tube onto my crash bar, that is when crash bar arrives....... another one of the new farkles I ordered.

Thanks again

BackRoader

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I was walking through Home Depot and noticed this welding rod holder which I thought would work perfect for a tool tube. Has a screw on cap with rubber gasket. And it's red to match the color of the fastest KLR's.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Those would be perfect except they are the wrong color,hehe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts