Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys using 3" PVC?

I scored some from a jobsite today to make 3-4 tubes for people depending on the length. I think this is what most has used other than the welding rod holders. Just need to nab some end caps and I am set. I already have the bands from the plumbing shop next door. Just need the caps. :twisted:

Oh I am just going to use this to hold my two 32oz MSR fuel bottles for the small tank fellas when on rides :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used 4" for my tool tube. Here's the instructions I wrote up for it.

Quick instructions for you on how I made mine

Items needed:

1 - 24" piece of 4" I.D. ABS sewer pipe
2 - 4" Test Plug adapters
2 - 4" Test plugs
1 - bottle of ABS glue
1 - Hacksaw/chopsaw or similar cutting utensil
4 - 6" hose clamps
1 - measuring tape
1 - white grease pencil
1 - file

Step 1

Use measuring tape and grease pencil to mark pipe for appropriate length (I made mine 14")

-- remember that the test plug adapters are going to add a couple inches of length to the tube on both ends --

Step 2

Cut pipe at marked location and clean up burrs from the cut end.

Step 3

Apply ABS glue to inside of test plug adapter and push on to pipe with a twisting motion until it is fully seated.

Step 4

Repeat Step 3 for other end

Step 5

Loop Hose clamps through holes on front of aftermarket aluminum skidplate and tighten them up a little bit (just enough to allow the tube to fit through the clamps)

Step 6

Hold the tube so that it sits on top of the bolts securing the front of the skidplate and tighten down the hoseclamps, alternating sides so that the tube is held level and secure.

Step 7

Clean up the mess you made, then sit back, crack a cold one, and admire the fact that you are slightly more ept than Tim the Toolman Taylor.

If you did it right, it should look something like this:

If you are still running the stock skidplate, you might have to devise another means of securing the tube.

If you have the HT pumpguard/highway pegs, you can secure the tube to that as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have the 3" and plan to use the other kind of ends that are little more user friendly with rubber on them that seals it when you cinch the bolt in the center, but I can get the ones you used for free I imagine. I bet I go the latter :lol:

·
Registered
595 Posts
I like the rounded caps over the wingnut or square head caps. But what do I know... I don't even have a tool tube. I wear a tool pouch for the time being.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Biker Scout said:
I like the rounded caps over the wingnut or square head caps. But what do I know... I don't even have a tool tube. I wear a tool pouch for the time being.
How would you get the round end caps off after a few months/years of being in the elements? If they didn't fall off from the KLR vibes, they would not come off with bare hands I bet.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Aren't they threaded? I use a mini tool tube for my insurance and registration. Those end caps are threaded. I permanetly sealed the threads on one side and greased the others.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Biker Scout said:
Aren't they threaded? I use a mini tool tube for my insurance and registration. Those end caps are threaded. I permanetly sealed the threads on one side and greased the others.
Not to my knowledge on the bigger ends. I will go put to the shop and check though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The end caps that I used are threaded and have a rubber seal that keeps the elements out when the weather turns nasty. Only trick is I have to make sure that I snug them up tight so that I don't lose them, which has happened to me twice (don't ask, I should have learned after the first time)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I just looked in the shop and they have 3 and 4" caps like Gadget used and also some 4" male threaded end for a 4" femal threaded cap, but I could not find them. I got a couple ends and 3" caps like Gadget. Just need some glue and I am set for <$5

·
Registered
284 Posts
Gadget said:
I used 4" for my tool tube. Here's the instructions I wrote up for it.

Quick instructions for you on how I made mine

Items needed:

1 - 24" piece of 4" I.D. ABS sewer pipe
2 - 4" Test Plug adapters
2 - 4" Test plugs
1 - bottle of ABS glue
1 - Hacksaw/chopsaw or similar cutting utensil
4 - 6" hose clamps
1 - measuring tape
1 - white grease pencil
1 - file

Step 1

Use measuring tape and grease pencil to mark pipe for appropriate length (I made mine 14")

-- remember that the test plug adapters are going to add a couple inches of length to the tube on both ends --

Step 2

Cut pipe at marked location and clean up burrs from the cut end.

Step 3

Apply ABS glue to inside of test plug adapter and push on to pipe with a twisting motion until it is fully seated.

Step 4

Repeat Step 3 for other end

Step 5

Loop Hose clamps through holes on front of aftermarket aluminum skidplate and tighten them up a little bit (just enough to allow the tube to fit through the clamps)

Step 6

Hold the tube so that it sits on top of the bolts securing the front of the skidplate and tighten down the hoseclamps, alternating sides so that the tube is held level and secure.

Step 7

Clean up the mess you made, then sit back, crack a cold one, and admire the fact that you are slightly more ept than Tim the Toolman Taylor.

If you did it right, it should look something like this:

If you are still running the stock skidplate, you might have to devise another means of securing the tube.

If you have the HT pumpguard/highway pegs, you can secure the tube to that as well.
While you guys have been busy posting this great stuff.... I have been searching in vain for several days on a link to this info that has vaporized evidently... I was headed back here to ask for input and there is everything you could ask for.

Gadget... I was wondering what the clamps are on the outboard side of the tube in the above picture. Spares? Do you access the tube from the clutch side? (Not that it really matters)
:D

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
At one time I had a 3' and a 2' tool tubes on my bike. I then went with one 4".
I had the 'end caps" on the 2 and 3 inch tubes, and after I lost the first cap I drilled a hole in it and put a retaining clip in the hole I drilled to keep it from comming off unless I wanted it to.
On the 4" tube I went with the "test cap" (the one with the rubber and wing nut) because it looks a lot cleaner on the bike. I just didn't care for the bulky ends.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
X6_Hustler said:
Ref the "test cap".....??? Wingnut ect??? Is this available at the plumbing area also and how does it seal tight? :roll:
It expands a rubber seal that is in the PVC and makes a water/air tight seal. Home Depot should have them

·
Registered
52 Posts
They sure will have them at Lowe's or Home Depot. I know when I worked at Payless Cashways (no it wasn't my fault they went out of business) they had them and were pretty cheap.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well I finished up my first tool tube. HD didn't have enough parts on the shelf to do a 4" tube so I started out with a 3". Started at 18 inches absolute length but will cut it back to 16.5 tonight as I feel its just a little too long at 18. Wish I had done the 4" now but maybe later I will. I used the wingnut type caps on this one.

The next order of business is to arrange the tools in some type of organizational packages that will come out of the tubes easily without getting everything in one big package. Maybe ziplock bags..... will work on it and maybe take some pictures.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How much are the wingnut caps? I am not going to make my 3" one either. It does not fit my spare fuel bottles for the SS Valdez :lol:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Bones said:
How much are the wingnut caps? I am not going to make my 3" one either. It does not fit my spare fuel bottles for the SS Valdez :lol:
The caps were $3.47 each I believe. Spare fuel bottles.... hmmmmmmmmm :idea:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 32 Posts