Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of adding a tool tube on my bike. My buddy is a plumber and might have some leftover 3" PVC pipe laying around, I though it might be perfect.

I'm planning on doing some camping this year including some in the back country off 4WD trails. I'm a bit worried about flats though, so I'd like to be able to repair one on the trail, and bring the tools needed for that.

So, any recommendations on how to attach it to the bike? I'd like it to be secure. Has anyone else used a set up like this? Any other ideas, or something I haven't considered?

Also, how important are rim locks? I'm not going to be doing single track, or boulder fields, but might do some 4WD trails that have some rough spots. I have rim locks but they are not currently installed, and unless necessary I don't want to install them.

· Premium Member
5,655 Posts
This is my setup. It's a piece of 4" PVC pipe and is mounted with stainless steel hose clamps, 2 on each side for redundancy on my HT engine guard/highway peg bar. I put one of those expandable plugs in each end as a "door," but really should have only spent the money on one and just used a plug or cap on the other end as I always pull my tools out from the right side.

Not saying this is the be-all/end-all of tool tubes, but it might give you some ideas. My tire clears mine. That mark you see in the middle of it is just dried road spray off the front tire.

You can get a lot of stuff in a piece of 4x17" PVC pipe. I carry my entire tool kit in there along with some odds and ends. I carry my spare tubes/repair kit in a soft bag that's mounted on my eBay side panel guards.

· Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Hi Powderaddict!
Rimlocks are needed at 15 psi or less. I didn't and had a crash when the valvestem pulled out and the back tire went flat suddenly at highway speed.

Regards....justjeff

· Registered
368 Posts
I used thin-walled grey PVC -- it gives more interior space for the outside diameter. The cap walls are also thinner and I cut a ring from another fitting to reinforce the open end.

My supports are 3/16 steel rod that I threaded at the ends. The ends also have double washers and double nuts since potholes will put lots of tension on the threads.

The Ricochet bash plate mounts with a U-bolt and that same U- bolt also keeps that aluminum angle iron there.

Then I replaced the wingnut with a combination phillips/flat machine screw that I can open with a screwdriver or a penny (U.S. only -- obsolete in Canada).

The inside is large enough for 2 tubes, 3 tire irons, patches, and an aluminum mini pump. I can cram many more tools in there, but usually have my tools in a rear case since I often need them for other bikes.

EDIT: There's a thread on another forum that warns about clearance problems with 4" tubes on KLRs. I don't believe it -- even with full compression and lots of fork flex the tire cannot come close. I have checked it only with Kenda 761 tires, not anything knobbier.

· Registered
1,635 Posts
IMHO and experience use the larger PVC pipe as they allow more equipment inside for you to use. The smaller tubes are a joke IMHO in comparisn.
BUT, if that is all you can do then fine.....something is better than nothing.

· Registered
6,250 Posts
Agri-Tube; Welding Rod Holder Tool Tube PM

Here's some PM traffic (OP's identity protected) on tool tubes I share:

Incoming PM I received:
I saw your post on the subject and really like the black tube. Could you share what it is and where to get them?
Many thanks!
My response:
You can buy an "Agri-Tube" from Agricultural Supply Company, http://www.agrisupply.com/category.aspx?c=1900088&c2c=sc&bhcd2=1268010344

About $ 5 plus shipping.

I just gave away a spare I had around the shop to a KLR rider I met on the Internet; may have another one; if I can find it I will be glad to send it to you; no charge!

The Agri-Tube is about 3-1/4 inches in diameter and approximately 12 inches long. If you mount it low (e.g., on the bash plate), you may want to seal the vent hole with some goop, for waterproofing.

A more elegant mount might be under the left rear side panel, sort of a "faux muffler" orientation.

The welding rod holders (Hobart, Home Depot; Lincoln, Tractor Supply Company) are also about 3-1/4 inches internal diameter, but approximately 15 inches long. These products are waterproof, with a rubber gasket seal. I painted my Lincoln welding rod holder black and mounted it on the Happy Trails bash plate with hose clamps, where it fits between the Happy Trails nerf bar/engine protector rods with clearance to open the cap (I know, I know; a little low and rock-proximate perhaps, but . . . if I break it, I'll buy another! :) ).

I wouldn't suggest, "one size fits all," regarding tool tubes--in my view, different individuals have different preferences and requirements. For example, an individual KLRista may prefer and require a 55-gallon drum for his tool tube; I would not presume to dictate he clone my preference and requirement or call his choice a "joke." To do so would seem to me arrogant, egotistical--immaturely narcissistic, and perhaps somewhat megalomaniacal--to each his/her own.

I line my tool tube with a laminated 8-1/2 " X 11" sheet of paper: On one side, "All You Every Really Wanted To Know About The KLR650," a listing of all critical data, diagrams of hub assembly exploded parts diagrams, etc.; and on the other side, a color wiring diagram. (Might get around to E-mailing images of these two reference pages, if requested.)

Will post some pictures when I get a chance.

Otherwise, best wishes on your tool tube, whatever your choice!
Just got back from an epic adventure ride through the dirt 'n' gravel of George Washington National Forest and Lost River (WV) State Park, VA/WV; will get those images up when things settle down.

· Registered
134 Posts
Great idea on the info sheet(especially the wiring) inside the tool tube. :thumb:

Agri supply also has a flat manual case for $9 that fits nicely on the rack of the gen2 KLR. I made "U" brackets and clamped it to the OEM rack. On the rack the weight is high, but with lighter items it's not a bad place for extra storage. I like it because I can strap a duffle bag on it when camping and it isn't in the way.

Several good options out there and each rider's need/preference will be different. I just get the tools and supplies I plan to carry and figure out where they will fit. YMMV

· Registered
93 Posts
GREAT Idea! If anyone has this for Gen II it would be muchly appreciated. (Damocles is for Gen I)

Thanks

Garry

I line my tool tube with a laminated 8-1/2 " X 11" sheet of paper: On one side, "All You Every Really Wanted To Know About The KLR650," a listing of all critical data, diagrams of hub assembly exploded parts diagrams, etc.; and on the other side, a color wiring diagram. (Might get around to E-mailing images of these two reference pages, if requested.)

· Registered
6,250 Posts
Agri supply also has a flat manual case for $9 that fits nicely on the rack of the gen2 KLR.
Outstanding application, MacG!

Not unlike the "glove compartment" of an automobile! Immediately accessible to the rider; handy, I imagine, when one must transport a DOCUMENT while on a motorcycle (sticking the paper inside one's shirt seems much less classy, to me!).

Most efficient packing job, also.

Now for some tool tube images:

Bore of Lincoln welding rod holder (but what's that PAPER inside?):

As mentioned, welding rod holders are about 15 inches long:

Agri-Tube Bore:

Agri-Tube Length:

Mysterious papers lining Lincoln welding rod holder tool tube:

Contents of Lincoln tube (too many locking pliers? I know, I know!):

Want to get fancy? Slightly augmented Cruz Tool "Metric Cruiser Tool Roll:"

Now, "war story!"

Came upon a near-fatal motorcycle accident (BMW boxer rider bit off more curve than he could chew and impacted a stone cliff) on NC 28 (I think) near Deal's Gap (Yes! The Tail of the Dragon!). No, I did NOT perform an emergency tracheotomy on the victim, saving his life, but--before he was med-evacuated away, with the tools in my "joke" tool tube, I bent the distorted throttle body on the Beemer, restoring its shape so the engine could be started and the bike loaded onto a truck under its own power (ever try to PUSH a dead BMW up a ramp?).

Here's an image of the EMT's ambulance attending to the carnage:

Oh, dear! I've exceeded the number of images allowed per post! Hey, it's just a picture of a Graham County, NC, ambulance; no need to cram it in here! Deleted image URL.

(Although I have images of the patient and the EMT's, I do not have their permission to post; thus, I protect their privacy.)

· Registered
6,250 Posts
Oh, just to add some provenance and verisimilitude to my narrative, here's the image of the ambulance:

Patient spent six weeks in ICU; months in the hospital; don't know how long in rehabilitation (may be still involved).

As the sergeant used to say after roll call on "Hill Street Blues," "Let's be careful, out there!"

:)

· Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Oh, yes; one more thing . . .

Should you order a product from, http://www.agrisupply.com/category.aspx?c=1900088&c2c=sc&bhcd2=1268010344 ,

YOU WILL NEVER BE LONELY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

You will be INUNDATED with catalogs/flyers/advertisements for all sorts of merchandise to help you plant, cultivate, harvest, process, and store your crops; even if you have no crops!

:)
Ah, the venerable "farm store," in my opinion the last thing America has that comes close to a "general store." Plus, unlike Walmart, they sell clothes that fit "King Size" guys like myself, as long as you don't mind wearing bib overalls, wife beaters and Wellington boots. No problem here.........

I'm impressed with agrisupply's online catalog: far superior to Tractor Supply Company, etc. I foresee being inundated with said catalogs/flyers/advertisements.

My favorite "farm store" is Blain's Farm and Fleet in Sturtevant, Wisconsin.

· Premium Member
3,206 Posts

· Administrator
10,121 Posts

· Registered
KLR 2018 and BMW 1150rs
99 Posts
I took a 4-in PVC and heated it up and squished it to an oval. It hangs between my pannier rack and rear tire. For the ends I bought some 3/16 ABS from the local plastic shop and molded them with heat as ABS is very moldable. Standard black ABS glue holds it all together.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts