Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I was wondering what tools people have in their toolkits when traveling on the road. I usually travel with some basic tools, but want to put together a dedicated tool kit for the bike. Normally I just put together one from my tool box and invariably forget something I should have. So what's in your kit? :D
D

·
Registered
650 Posts
dang. I had all this on the old board... :?
I got to start storing this kinda info somewhere else.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was reasearching it on the old board when it went down, hence the question here.
D

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well, I was gonna re-post the write up here, but until I can retrieve that info here's the pic.

(All these tools will allow a near compelete teardown on the the roadside)

Sockets needed are 8mm, 10mm & 12mm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Biker Scout said:
Well, I was gonna re-post the write up here, but until I can retrieve that info here's the pic.

Hmmm...looks like I need to reassess the contents of my tool tube.

Thats a one of the best kits (for the KLR) I have seen.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It's missing a few odds and ends... like a flat pack of duct tape and wire and a little tube of JB Weld, but over all that's the most of stuff I used to do some serious work on my bike at a tech day. I keep the extra vice grips because you never know when you need a new shift lever, handle, etc...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pic, I already have most of that together - looks like I just need to tweak it a little.
D

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I think there is a lot to "Murphy's Law" so I carry everything except the kitchen sink. I'll figure out a way to get it on there soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the kit, may I suggest a small section of safety wire? It comes in real handy for rehanging broken stuff and has saved my ass in the past. I also carry water-proof matches in my toolkit just in case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1 on the JB Weld, i repaired a leak in my radiator that is still holding 3000 miles later

+1 on the safety wire

I have some stainless steel zip ties. Just like the plastic ones only metal.

I also like the cheap multi bit screwdrivers.

Loctite

some Loctite

and a little Loctite

·
Registered
57 Posts
I carry the stock toolkit, and the "missing" wrench, as well as a 1/4" drive ratchet, extension, 8,10,12mm sockets in the stock toolkit. I've got a small travel shaving bag from Target for about $8 and in that i keep a set of tire levers, 2 tubes, patch kit, scissors, an assortment of electrical connectors, loctite, zipties, flat duct tape, wire crimpers, needlenose, water pump pliers, slip joint pliers, small crescent wrench, presure gauge, 5 minute epoxy, superglue, a proper phillips screwdriver, a MTB multitool, a supersmall Serfas bicycle hand pump and some electrical tape flat packed.

In my tankbag/pannier i carry lots of wireties, more duct tape, another roll of electrical tape, a pocket knife, and a 12v compressor stripped of it's case and stored inside a sock. If i'm riding dirt and street, it's no big deal to drop pressure for the trail and quickly top off for the paved sections.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was just out in my garage and i looked into my TDM's tool kit area for something and I forgot to recommend also I carry a 1157 bulb and on my KLR I may carry a headlight bulb as well. No need to on the TDM with dual headlights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yeah, I posted on the old board so I wouldn't lose it :cry:

My upgraded toolkit includes:

10 and 13 mm gear wrenches w/ socket adapters (10 mm into 1/4 ratchet or hex bit driver, 13 mm into 3/8)
Hex bits for all philips and allen heads on the bike (I have a SS bolt kit so there are mostly hex heads left)
8, 10, and 12 mm sockets
sparkplug socket
short 3/8 extension (like 1" short, measured to be right for the sparkplug)
long 1/4 extension
small needlenose vicegrips
tube of quicksteel w/ duct tape and elec tape wrapped around it.
a few zipties
a small greaserag

all the above is in the stock toolbox location (in a toolroll that replaced the plastic box)

In the little indention in the carrier deck is an 8" crescent wrench strapped in

In the pelican 1150 mounted to my skid plate is:

Spare front tube
stripped 12 v airpump
tire irons
patch kit including good core tool and spare core (they always go flying when you don't have a spare).
a small tube of silicone RTV
an assortment of fuses and posilock wiretaps
a short length of wire
a couple spare hoseclamps
A CO2 cylinder for my handpump
a few spare nuts and bolts
electrical diagram for the bike

In the barbag:

handpump/CO2 inflator
tire guage
helmet cleaning kit (small cleaning cloth and spray bottle filled w/ simple green for bugs and cleaning hands w/ greaserag in toolkit.
spare earplugs

For a long trip I through in one of the other bags:
half bottle of oil (just so I can keep it topped w/o worrying about if they will have the "right brand" at the next gas station)
spare pre-oiled air filter skin
Spark plug.

Stuff I will be buying for an epic trip:
carb diaphragm
spare relay (my fan relay went out stuck in traffic--not good).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Biker Scout said:

To save space, re-wrap duct / black tape around the center of your largest wrench.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Valve stem removal tool.

·
Registered
207 Posts
OK. Looks good so far.
Now, what about a tool roll? What do they look like & where to get them?
Thanks.
John

·
Registered
595 Posts
I almost bought a tool roll when I discovered those neoprene workout belt wraps. They have velcro on one end and can stick to themselves. I cut one down to length and it allows me to roll up my tools really tight and rattle free.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts