Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Long live the King!

The "King Loves Riders". kinda cheezy, I know. I've read worse.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Cost is certainly important, but that's not all of it. If it was, the No. 2 dual sport DR650 is cheaper than the KLR650 and would sell more. The other factor, imo, is road worthy. The KLR650 is much more road worthy than the DR650. I own both and if asked which is better for a high percentage road rider, it's hands down the KLR. In fact, I may go as far as suggesting that the KLR be moved to the Adventure Bike Category.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Not surprising; I say the same thing to people all the time when they start ranting about the lack of EFI, ABS, 6 spds, more power, more modern suspension, etc.....You can already buy bikes that have that stuff; just have to pony up the $$$$'s.

As far as the KLR being an adventure bike.....I sorta agree but it really straddles the dual sport and adventure segments IMO. Certainly the Gen2 has a more "adventure bike" bias but seeing as how the KLR is so inexpensive, I view it as a "blank page" to be modified to suit you usage....accordingly my Gen1's have been modified to be much better offroad than stock and can easily compare to a stock XR650L, DR650S, etc......and I can even hang with a stock 690 or DRZ...though they are better bikes on paper.

Dave

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I was looking for a thumper, one of the selling points to me for the KLR was the fact it was simple (carb with no fuel pump)
Most of these new bikes have so much hi-tech crap that if one thing goes wrong you can't even nurse it home....JMO

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I agree with what they said about the WR250R, not really a terribly common bike, especially in these parts! Gotta say though, when I listed mine for sale I had people emailing me almost as soon as the listing went live! It sold pretty quickly.

My KLR took a little longer to sell even though it was priced dirt cheap for the condition and miles of the bike. I believe that was only because there were quite a few of them listed. Lol, and the fellow that bought it still tried to get me down on the price!

Definitely though the KLR is the best bang for the buck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts