Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a top box for my KLR, but I don't want to get a Givi. I figure if I wreck, the first thing to break will be a plastic case!!

I looked at Army ammo boxes, but they are all to small. I want the box to take up the whole area of the rack. I also want to possibly put my helmet into it, so it will have to be fairly tall too.

Got any ideas???

Thanks
Kim

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Pelican makes the toughest cases out there. Give those a look.
www.pelican.com

It might be hard to find something big enough for a helmet short of the GIVI's or the GIVI knockoffs like I have.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard good reports on the JC Whitney box that looks like the Givi. Might be worth checking one of these out.

I want something that will take a little abuse now and then. I really didn't want to go with plastic, if I didn't have too!

Someone suggested this! http://www.jesseluggage.com/topbox.html

But it doesn't look like it is available yet. I will be calling them tomorrow to find out!!! It is exactly what I am looking for!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far though!! May have to use one of them if the Safari isn't available!!!! I really need some storage!!!!!

Thanks
Kim

·
Registered
815 Posts
One note about Pelican cases... If you do something that could break one of them, it would be my guess you'll have far more issues to worry about. Like hoping somebody has called an ambulance and is locating any of your missing appendages.

I've seen Scamps case and if he says it fits a helmet like you are wanting then you may want to find out it's dimensions. I'm not a fan of massive top boxes and Scamps didn't seem excessive at all.

All my research led me to a 1500 Pelican, but that's a far cry from what your after if you need to store a helmet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My friend has an 08 and put a Pelican 1550 on the back of his bike. It looks good and it took 15 minutes to put it on. All he did was get a little longer bolts than the ones that secure the existing platform to the bike. Took it off and used it as a template, drilled holes in the Pelican case and then mounted it to the bike. I will go over to his house today and take a picture and post it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I want to get a top box for my KLR, but I don't want to get a Givi. I figure if I wreck, the first thing to break will be a plastic case!!

I looked at Army ammo boxes, but they are all to small. I want the box to take up the whole area of the rack. I also want to possibly put my helmet into it, so it will have to be fairly tall too.

Got any ideas???

Thanks
Kim
I got a Givi knockoff from JC Whitney $85 including shipping.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/MATTE-BLACK-TRAVEL-TRUNKS/GP_2010969_N_111+10211+600014603_10111.jcw

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One note about Pelican cases... If you do something that could break one of them, it would be my guess you'll have far more issues to worry about. Like hoping somebody has called an ambulance and is locating any of your missing appendages.

I've seen Scamps case and if he says it fits a helmet like you are wanting then you may want to find out it's dimensions. I'm not a fan of massive top boxes and Scamps didn't seem excessive at all.

All my research led me to a 1500 Pelican, but that's a far cry from what your after if you need to store a helmet.
I can get something that wont store a helmet, but would feel safer with it in the box while I am at work!! Looking at the pelican I really like the looks of them!!!

I think I read the Jesse site wrong and I think I will have to wait on that top box, at least until I get some more dough!!! LOL I think the rack is $125. not the top box!!!! So I am now thinking of buying a cheaper box to get me by until I can afford the Jesse!!! I am thinking of going to Target and looking to see what they have. If all else fails, I may go with a cheap JCW for now!!!

Thanks again for all the suggestions!!!!

Kim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pelican 1450
I just recently mounted a silver Pelican 1450 on the back of my blue 2008 KLR using the new quick-release system designed and built by the folks there at Happy Trails. The quick-release system is an incredible all-purpose mount for the KLR, easy to install and configure. You literally can't destroy a Pelican case and having the flexibility of removing it when not in use was the clencher. Call Tim or Ed over at Happy Trails and they'll set you up!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, Here is my temporary box!!!! It's a tool box from Harbor Freight Tools! 22 bucks. It will be replaced when I can afford a Jesse top box! For now, this will do the trick!!!!

I figure I will decorated it with m/c stickers and such!!!!:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks great. That is the best thing about the KLR, the more utilitarian it looks the better it looks. What is that lil case or box on the left side under the rack?

I think it is the smog thing for CA???? Can't say for sure, I don't even know where the air filters are yet!!!!!!!!!! LOL I ordered a service manual so I can give it an oil and filter change, maybe it will tell what the box is for sure????

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If you live in CA. then that is what it is. I just had not seen one before. The airfilter is located behind the right side plate. You will see a door held on with a philips screw. Remove the door and there is the filter. It's a PIA to get out, but then again, I got huge hands and fingers and can only manage two fingers to turn the wing nut to remove the filter. Oil drain plug is located under the center of the engine just to the rear of the plastic skid plate. On the right side of the engine you will see a circular cover with two 8mm heat bolts holding it on. That is your oil filter. When you remove the filter there will be a tube in it. Pull the tube out and place into your new filter. Many new owners discard the tube and don't realize it is needed. It can only fit one way. Torque the two bolts back to 69 INCH pounds, not FOOT pounds.

This link shows the tube, third picture down:
http://www.klr650.marknet.us/Misc_Info.pdf

Airbox lid with holes. Don't do the holes, caused problems.

Oil Filter cover:

2.5 liters of oil. I keep the bike level and fill till the oil is at the top of the oil glass window and stop. Start the motor after putting the fill hole cap back on, and let it run a couple of minutes. Let it sit and double check oil level again. Should be fine. If it needs a tad more then add some.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you live in CA. then that is what it is. I just had not seen one before. The airfilter is located behind the right side plate. You will see a door held on with a philips screw. Remove the door and there is the filter. It's a PIA to get out, but then again, I got huge hands and fingers and can only manage two fingers to turn the wing nut to remove the filter. Oil drain plug is located under the center of the engine just to the rear of the plastic skid plate. On the right side of the engine you will see a circular cover with two 8mm heat bolts holding it on. That is your oil filter. When you remove the filter there will be a tube in it. Pull the tube out and place into your new filter. Many new owners discard the tube and don't realize it is needed. It can only fit one way. Torque the two bolts back to 69 INCH pounds, not FOOT pounds.

This link shows the tube, third picture down:
http://www.klr650.marknet.us/Misc_Info.pdf

Airbox lid with holes. Don't do the holes, caused problems.

Oil Filter cover:

2.5 liters of oil. I keep the bike level and fill till the oil is at the top of the oil glass window and stop. Start the motor after putting the fill hole cap back on, and let it run a couple of minutes. Let it sit and double check oil level again. Should be fine. If it needs a tad more then add some.

Cool, thanks for all the info!!!! I now know why I am getting oil down the side of my bike!!! The PO must not have replaced the gasket on the last oil change!!!! I had a suspicion that cover had something to do with oil, but didn't realize it was where the filter is!!!

I'm going to go buy new gaskets and filter and do a service next week. I have to service my scooter anyways, might as well do both at the same time!!!!

Thanks again, I'm off to check my air filter, now that I know where it is!!!! LOL

Kim

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
That cover uses an O-Ring. Mainly be careful when putting it back on, the ring could get pinched which is what I suspect is causing your oil leak now. Tighten the bolts a little at a time alternating between each.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts