Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TL;DR. I had some top end trouble that abridged my trip to Utah; I suspect the compression release (KACR) spring has "sprung" after 91K miles, as the valves should still be in spec.

More detail: I just got back from Bears Ears, but I had some engine trouble plaguing me for about 1800 miles; in short, the bike had trouble starting and maintaining a steady idle, and there is a slight ticking sound near the right exhaust valve area. I had to goose the throttle a bit to get it started and once it got going it ran OK, but the bike had slightly less power; the steep hills around Escalante, Utah made that lack of power readily apparent, and I got up Wolf Creek pass at 45-50 MPH (my apologies).
  • The valves might have slipped out of spec but, since the onset of the issue was so sudden, I suspect that something happened to the compression release mechanism (KACR) - we'll see if there's a broken KACR spring when we pull the top end to check the valves.
I wonder if anyone else has experienced a problem with the spring on the compression release mechanism, and I'll let everyone know what I find when I get it apart. (I broke my foot on the way back, so it might be a little bit...):rolleyes:

Any input is appreciated and thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I certainly hope your foot heals up well and quickly,
Thanks - it's actually kind of embarrassing; after lots of gnarly trails and a few spectacular diggers that sent up clouds of red Utah dust, I dropped the bike in a parking lot in Cortez, CO and it squashed my left foot. Thankfully, it isn't too bad; I could still shift the gears, and managed to make it home a few days later.
To be honest, I'm more concerned about my valve train problem than my foot - I've got another one of those...:p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts