Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok every one considering rear suspention up grade here is my 2 cents we all know gen 2 springs are week. I have serched many options and desided to go with TOP GUN great quality instaled today took for a test run 60 out yahoo very impressed not even the same on or off road 200% improvment all around the board. they have 3 to choose from and if you send them your shock they will install for you. as for me i built my oun spring compessor for the job. worth every cent.:character00271:

www.topgunmotorcycles.com/KLR_springs/klrsprings.html ·

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Good to hear your experience with Top Gun and their spring went well. Could you, or would you mind if I added the Top Gun web link, so others can look at what is available? I don't want to horn in on your thread. Personally, I really like the Top Gun people and their services. There is a huge amount of good information and experience there. No need to learn everything the hard way with them around. And like you said, 200% improvement at a fraction of the cost of the other options. Thanks for coming forth with the information and your opinion.

Pat
vatrader

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
15 Posts
Top Gun rear spring

Whats the trick to doing the spring change youself ? Any tips on spring compression , what worked for you? I don't want that thing to recoil in my face

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no tricks spring compressors are just that compress evenly and slowly i made one for the job for 8 bucks and held the shock in a vice. Top Gun will install for you for free with purchase of spring. you would just have the down time but of coarse it is winter so that may not be a big deal.:character00271:

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is EXACTLY what I'm thinking about doing myself. How much do you weigh and what spring did you choose? I weigh 200# and I was thinking about the 7.4 kg spring but I emailed the guy at Top Gun and he thinks the 6.6 would be better for me. I ride 2-up most of the time, and my wife is around 110# so I think that can be made up with the preload. Mine's an '09, I know they suggest a slightly lighter spring for the 2nd gen bikes due to a little different ratio in the linkage.

I've got about 18K miles on it now and I like the fact that you can send the shock in and he will rebuild and service the shock and put your choice of spring on it for about $135 bucks. Seems like a great deal.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
close to 290lb plus side cans trunk & trailer went with the grey one mabe over kill but it will were in some i think my 2 cents worth.:character00271:

·
Registered
52 Posts
close to 290lb plus side cans trunk & trailer went with the grey one mabe over kill but it will were in some i think my 2 cents worth.:character00271:
Mine weight is about the same as yours and I also bought the gray (8kg?) spring. Had it installed on the shock and it is much nicer. It actually holds the bike up now. I would like to try a new unit just to see how they compare but the $400+ price tag on most of them is just BS as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm 220 lbs and I got the 7.4 kg spring. After riding it approximately 2000 miles since then, I will offer the following opinions:

For me, the 7.4 kg spring is a weeeeee bit too stiff for when I'm messing around the ruts and rocks and heavier hits with no gear. The compression stroke seems about right but the rebound will kick like a mule creating a problematic safety hazard. I've messed around with the rebound settings but like everything else it's a trade off.

The 7.4 kg spring is PERFECT when I have 30 lbs or more of gear going and i click the sag up to a setting of 3. Of course, I tend not to ride over the bigger stuff when I have all that weight going. I guess I'm lazy and don't want to pick it up :). Anyways, it squishes perfectly for good highway cornering and handling while offering a nice plush ride with the gear on. Handling on the forest roads is aok then too.

Overall, I think I would have been happier with the lighter spring but I can't tell for sure because I've never had one to compare to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Perfect, good ride ride reports are what we need here. At first I thought the 7.4 was for me, but now I'm leaning toward the 6.6. I'm 200, and I do carry my wife most of the time but she is tiny.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am 280+, I installed the gray spring (8.0 kg) and it works great.
Fixed the pre-loader while I had it apart, but has it turns out I haven't needed ti yet.
I used 3 ratchet straps to compress the spring. I an not recommending this. However you do it keep your fingers out of the way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
wow im glad i clicked on this one, I'm a big guy at 300lbs and 6', I have been wondering what I could do to fix the way it sinks to the ground when I sit on her. I think This could be my next improvement. Well its this or the racks for my new pelicans I just bought. Not sure what one will come first. I think I will go with the grey one because I don't see myself not going to gym any more, or going on a diet. But hey If I went on diet I wouldnt need to go to gym. wow hard choices. Na I like my food to much. lol. Ill just go with the grey one and then I can fill up my new luggage. thanks guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Advice?

I am 280+, I installed the gray spring (8.0 kg) and it works great.
Fixed the pre-loader while I had it apart, but has it turns out I haven't needed ti yet.
I used 3 ratchet straps to compress the spring. I an not recommending this. However you do it keep your fingers out of the way.
I know, this is like year later, but how do you release the last strap? I would imagine it's under a tun of preasure??

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Before I built my own specialized spring compressor I used many strong hose clamps. They are reversable where as ratchet straps are not. They release all in one bang which would be seriously dangerous when dealing with the shock spring...IMHO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Im 6'5" 320 and put on the strongest Top gun spring. I paid someone to do it tho. cost me 40 bucks. Best mod on the KLR yet. Id do this mod way before the thremo bob.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I am looking at this spring, and wondering has there been any long term issues? Some of the messages are a couple years old, so I am checking to see if the positive attitude towards the topgun shock is still the same.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I got the middle spring of the 3 they offer. I have had it for over 2 years. I dont regret it at all. Great upgrade for the money.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts