Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
New here. Name is Greg.
TopGun says the sleeves on the 2008 are garbage and a re-sleeve is required and a std sized piston kit from them will solve the oil burning problems. Many of you say you have had long term success with the rebore kits like 685 from EagleMike and Schnitz. What should I do? I bought a 2008 in the Fall and it burns at the std. oil burner rate of a litre per 1000km. Thnx! I have searched for info on this site on the TopGun pistons with no luck.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
This is the first I have heard of an issue with the sleeves in the KLR engines. There are MANY mentions on this forum and others from happy customers who bought the 685 kits from EM. I have not heard one person say the kit didn't work as advertised. I believe you can spend you money with confidence if you purchase one from EagleMike
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
In TopGun's Contact Patch Blog on 2008 KLRs:

"Master mechanic Vey de la Cruz agreed that we were experiencing excessive oil
consumption. We took the 08 to Vey and asked him to inspect the cylinder, piston, and
rings. Although we suspected rings, it turned out that our cylinder liner was oval!! And
to add to our surprise, a fellow KLR rider had an 07 in the shop at the same time with
the same oval cylinder problem."

Hopefully Rod won't mind me posting a letter to me. Thanks Rod for the advice!
"Greg

2008 was the worst year for oval cylinders, even though there were no changes in 2009 Our 2008 started using a quart of oil in 800 miles. The real problem was the poor quality cylinder sleeve going oval. To properly fix this we used a high quality sleeve from the piston company and our forged piston. Problem solved. My two "A" models have had the same treatment and now I don't need to add any oil between changes. Just honing the old sleeve with the forged piston still uses the same poor quality sleeve that could go oval again.

In 2010 the rings part number changed meaning the rings were different Some still went oval due to the same poor quality sleeve, which is still used today.

The blog had older info that didn't include the sleeve problem. We send out the cylinder, sleeve and piston to be fitted which requires boring the new sleeve to fit the stock bore forged piston. By the time you figure shipping, parts, labor, gaskets (not included in kit) the total is about 500.00 - so it ain't cheap, but you'll never see that part of the engine again. It's also a good time to do a valve job - more money.

SO, you have to send us the cylinder (head too if you want us to do it) and you get back the final fix to excessive oil consumption. OR, we send you the parts (piston kit and sleeve) and have it done elsewhere (it does save shipping stuff to us). Just make sure whoever does it knows how.

Let me know what you want to do

Rod Morris
MMP"

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
For clarification I have heard of the cylinders going out of round from new. I have not heard of one going out of round AFTER it was bored to fit an oversize piston such as the 685. I don't see the need to replace the sleeve if it will remain round after boring for a replacement piston and rings. This is just a general observation on my part. Neither my '03 or my '11 use oil so I won't be needing a cylinder any time soon. If I were to need to replace the sleeve I would jump up to the 720 kit....
Regards....justjeff

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
GringoKLR2,
I wouldn't spend the $$'s for a replacement cylinder sleeve.

Many successful repairs have been done with the Schnitz Racing or EM 658 and 685 kits in properly bored and honed stock cylinder sleeves.

I believe that OEM 1st or 2nd oversize sets should work also, in properly bored and hone cylinders.

There is 'some' additional info available about oil consumption causes/reasons on this forum. Check out the "oil pressure" threads/experiments.

GJJ,
Here is what/where I found on the Top Gun site.
Bullet Proof KLR650 In Trouble | Top Gun Motorcycle Products

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
GringoKLR2,
My post got scrambled a bit and I forgot to add some thing!

Most of us will encourage all KLR owners to fit a coolant re-circulation system or By-pass system, such as a "Thermo-Bob 2", available from www.watt_man.com. It will help keep a freshly "over-bored and honed" or "Replaced and honed" cylinder liner/sleeve from distorting.

Once the sleeve is bored and honed 'straight and true', we want to help keep it straight and true.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
There is something puzzling about the message from Rod Morris:

"In 2010 the rings part number changed meaning the rings were different Some still went oval due to the same poor quality sleeve, which is still used today."

If the sleeve hasn't changed, why is 2008 the oil burner year? If the new 2010 rings are the answer to that question, why was 2009 a better year for oil burners than 2008?

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
The pre '08 KLRs were known to use some oil. Kawi tried another different ring package in '08 that was much worse then changed it again in late '09 but it wasn't the answer either. They seem to have figured it out by 2011, the year of my bike. "08s bad '09s and '10s better. My '11 doesn't like Rotella T 10-40 but uses no oil between changes with Castrol GTX.
JJ

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
There is something puzzling about the message from Rod Morris:

"In 2010 the rings part number changed meaning the rings were different Some still went oval due to the same poor quality sleeve, which is still used today."

If the sleeve hasn't changed, why is 2008 the oil burner year? If the new 2010 rings are the answer to that question, why was 2009 a better year for oil burners than 2008?
The biggest issue with the '08 and '09 rings, turned out to be that an unusually high number of non-concentric #2 rings apparently slid past "quality control" and onto the assembly line.
The #2 ring is sharpened like a scissor or lawnmower blade, it is the "final oil scraper". A 1 - 1&1/2 inch section was usually found to be mis-ground, allowing a thin oil film to sneak past.

I repaired 2 '09s and zero '08s.

The #2 ring was confirmed by Normk and WymanWinn on over 30 sets that WW had removed himself.

But there is a 'whole lot' more involved than just round cylinders and round rings.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks to both Paul and Jeff!

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
I might have just got lucky, or maybe I don't have enough miles on my 08 yet, but it doesn't really use any oil unless I'm running it around 5000 RPM or more. Then it likes to sip a little!

If I was going to upgrade for oil burning I would definitely go the 685 route, I've never heard of anyone having problems with it and I believe it's the most economical route.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought my 2008 with 3500 miles on it,used 4 oz in 200 miles. Did the thermo bob and one up on the front sprocket and hasn't used any in the last 2500 miles. I hope I have one of the good ones!

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's all good Medicineball! What is the "Willys Low-Buck mod"?
JJ
Jeff, it's that one where you drill out the tweety, and put an exhaust cap on the end. Sounds better, looks better, costs about $10, and gives 25 more hp. :)

Actually, you made me realize that the signature line is outdated - I've recently put on a LeoVince x3. Sounds better, looks better, and cost about 35x what that damn exhaust cap cost.

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
The pre '08 KLRs were known to use some oil. Kawi tried another different ring package in '08 that was much worse then changed it again in late '09 but it wasn't the answer either. They seem to have figured it out by 2011, the year of my bike. "08s bad '09s and '10s better. My '11 doesn't like Rotella T 10-40 but uses no oil between changes with Castrol GTX.
JJ
Yep, it took Kawi until 2011 to start making the engines as good as the '07 and earlier bikes!
:8:

I agree with Jeff and the others, if it was my bike, it'd be getting a kit from Eaglemike and a thermobob.....done and done.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
Jeff,---------

Actually, you made me realize ------ Sounds better, looks better, and cost about 35x what that damn exhaust cap cost.
LOL, I prefer my low-buck, turned down stock exhaust to all after market pipes I've heard so far. (Too Loud) And I wear earplugs because of wind noise.

Yep, it took Kawi until 2011 to start making the engines as good as the '07 and earlier bikes!
:8:

I agree with Jeff and the others, if it was my bike, it'd be getting a kit from Eaglemike and a thermobob.....done and done.

2 cents,
Dave
Yep, I agree with you Dave.
That is if you are suggesting to the OP, GringoKLR2.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts