Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep..........it is that time of year.......summer is nearly behind us and TDP is upon us! The opening weekend of fall has been celebrated by attending Tour de Pisgah for the last decade! Our hosts, Terry and Elizabeth have been trying to sell their place, so this could possibly be our last time to stay at Riders R & R, unless the new owners decide to continue with the cabin rentals. So.......I hope to see a bunch of you guys out this September to hang and ride with the gang!

Who: Anyone wanting some Dualsport action!
What: Tour de Piscah X
Where: Rider's R & R in Del Rio, TN (423)972-1137 Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions
When: September 18-20 (Early Bird rides on Thursday, 17th)
Why: TDP is the place to be!

ATTENDING..............WHEN...........................STEED
steve.........................Thur-Sun....................KLR688
cherokee_chuck..........Thur-Fri (soccer/Sat).....KLR719
Wildhair......................?............................?
Chrome Sux................?............................?
mdrake.......................?............................?
hurricane....................?............................?
twistydave..................?............................?

TOURS

Leader...............Friday................................Saturday................................Sunday
cherokee_chuck...State Line Tour-9:00 (2.0)
steve..................Coming soon........

I will be at camp for Early Bird Ride on Thursday around 9am for anyone going to be there then. We can do some great local riding to suite your riding style.

SUMMARY OF TOURS

State Line Tour - I really enjoy riding the twisties and forest service roads along the TN/NC state line north to Roan Mtn! We could call this the Appalachian Trail Tour, since we will be all around it the entire trip!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2 Weeks.....anyone else coming?

Where: Rider's R & R in Del Rio, TN (423)972-1137 Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

steve.........................Thur-Sun....................KLR688/DRZ400
Jerry Attrick...............Thur-Sun...................KLR705
ElectroJoe...................?............................?
tpar1220.....................?.............................?
tman........................ Sat(pm)-Sun..............KLR650
Will......................... Sat(pm)-Sun...............?
clogan.......................Wed(pm)-Sun............KLR650/DRZ400
tube8520......................?...........................KLR650

TOURS

Leader...............Friday................................Saturday................................Sunday
steve........................................................Classically Tamed Ride-9:00 (?).....Anybody That's Left Run-? (?)

I will be at camp for Early Bird Ride on Thursday around 9am for anyone going to be there then. We can do some great local riding to suite your riding style. STEVE WILL BE AROUND IN THE EARLY AFTERNOON FOR ANYONE COMING IN THEN!

SUMMARY OF TOURS

State Line Tour - I really enjoy riding the twisties and forest service roads along the TN/NC state line north to Roan Mtn! We could call this the Appalachian Trail Tour, since we will be all around it the entire trip!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Getting close............

Ozarkdave....................?...........................DRZ400

TOURS

steve........................................................Classically Tamed Ride-9:00 (?).....Anybody That's Left Run-? (?)

I will be at camp for Early Bird Ride on Thursday around 9am for anyone going to be there then. We can do some great local riding to suite your riding style. STEVE WILL BE AROUND IN THE EARLY AFTERNOON FOR ANYONE COMING IN THEN!

SUMMARY OF TOURS

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking good.......anyone else? Make sure and bring CASH.....our hosts are not doing the credit card thing.

Wildhair......................Fri-?..........................Vstrom
Ozarkdave....................Fri-Sun...................DRZ400
KentuckyKLR...............Thur-Sun.................KLR705

TOURS

SUMMARY OF TOURS

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking good.......anyone else? Make sure and bring CASH.....our hosts are not doing the credit card thing.

Wildhair......................Fri-?..........................Vstrom
mdrake.......................Sat-Sun....................KLR650
Ozarkdave....................Fri-Sun...................DRZ400
KentuckyKLR...............Thur-Sun.................KLR705
Hurricane....................Weds-Sun.................KLR650
Sarah the Explorer......Weds-Sun.................XT225
Nukeman....................Thur-Sun........SUPER DOOPER SHERPA
dpippin.......................Thur-Sun...............KLR650/KLX250
dougiefresh.................Thur-Sat...................KLR650
onemancoyote.............Thur-Sat...................KLR650
ridir frith...................Thur (pm)-Fri...............DR650
jimbo..........................Fri-Sun....................DRZ462S

TOURS

SUMMARY OF TOURS

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well........Tour de Pisgah X is officially in the books! And for 6 straight years, we have been at Riders R & R! I would like to thank Terry and Elizabeth for everything they do for us! Even after their daughter had a nasty collision in a soccer game and had to stay at the UT Hospital till Friday morning, they were back cooking a mean supper for Friday night! Thanks again....you guys are the best!!

To start things off, due to having my kids soccer matches on Saturday, I decided to come in early on Thursday and ride then and on Friday. There were 6 of us on the Early Bird Ride: ElectroJoe, clogan, Hurricane, Sarah the Explorer, KentuckyKLR, and myself! We were in no hurry, so we got out of camp around 11. We headed out to Hot Springs....cruised through town....then headed toward Meadow Fork Community Store to have lunch.

I have been coming here practically every year since the very first TDP to eat some dogs or BBQ way back in the boonies. I knew they had a campground in the back of their property, but thought it was primarily for people that stayed year around. After talking with the owners, there is some consideration for us to stay here during TDP, IF, Terry and Elizabeth were to sell their place and the new owners didn't want to continue what we have going with our close friends, T & E! Here are a few pics of the place:

Probably just 5 or so miles up the road is the top of Hurricane Creek Road!

The back way up to the overlook close to Hurricane Creek Rd.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Overlook!

We make way over to see the Elk at Cataloochee.......I didn't get pics, but others did. On the way we stop to see the Pigeon River...... strange color. Not far from this point, Hurricane and his riding chic, Sarah, headed back to camp due to her sickness.

After seeing the elk, Joe, Chet, Chris and I headed back toward camp via FS roads. Chris and decided to split off and hit some trails before heading back for supper.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The Chili was awesome! Right around this time, Terry got a call from Elizabeth that Bailey was going to the hospital.

The gang decided to help with cleaning up. Poor Wayne and Sarah missed this since they decided to get a hotel room until she got to feeling better.

The spiders get big here!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice looking morning on the Reed Homestead!

We only had 1 VStrom show up this year......Wildhair owns this one!

The State Line Tour!!! We had 8 people to start the day!

Not long after the pic of the dam, we ended up going down to 6 riders.......then eventually 5. Chet had bad pain with his shoulder, so he went home early.

Homemade gate!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a lot of sweet twisty pavement, we got some lunch at a little store I stopped at a few years ago on this same tour. You could have any sandwich that you wanted, as long as it was bologna! HA!

Folks have been coming here for years to do burnouts......the yellow line is almost blacked out about 100 feet up the road to my right.

Found this cool route between the tracks and river!

The next 4 pics is of the sites from Beauty Spot! The AT goes through here!

Hikers in the background......

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We go over to Burbank (close to Roan Mtn SP) to get gas. We get down the road and Chris and Darrell find out they have bad gas. So.....back to the station to pump it out of the Strom, since it was nearly empty before hand. Chris only got a couple of gallons, so he decided to run the mixture through. Look at how cloudy that gas is........

Before making a B-line back to camp on some EXCELLENT twisty pavement, being shaded by the thick canopy of trees, we take a pic of one of my favorite places to hike......Big Bald at Carver's Gap!

This is such a sweet pic of our host's grilling out for us.........I just wonder why Elizabeth has a small Tony head growing out of hers??????

Tony needs to clean up his equipment a little better.........

Supper Time!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While we were eating........we see a truck pull up with a very familiar bike on a trailer....hmmmm......that's Jerry Atrick's bike. Well.......after riding for hours, Dave had a little spill 10 miles from camp.

For what we gather......the front tire lost air super fast, probably due to a valve pulling away from the tube. It later fell off while 6 or 7 people fought over who was changing out this legend's tube!

Meanwhile......I went back to eating.

Pic of how tube8520 formed up his bags using garbage cans.....NICE!

Nightlife!

Joe heading back to his hotel.......rich snob. HA!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doug and Tony bench racing...........

Steve and Chris getting fresh with the camera..........eek.

Nukeman doesn't look any worse for wear......after cracking his helmet. I got that info second hand.........guess it's true. It came from a man heavily sedated on pain meds.

Speaking of which......here is Darrell and Dave! Dave was favoring his ribs after his spill.................To Be Continued............

Saturday morning I left to go back home to coach my kids soccer matches. I got a text from Elizabeth after the games that Dave went to the hospital and found out a lot of busted inside equipment. He was transported to UT.........so I decided to go stay a while with him. Well, they monitored him for a while, but he is in route home as I type this.

I knew this man was full of hot air.............but he really is full of it....HA! Hope to see ya back on the bike soon, Jerry Atrick!

It was great seeing many faces on this rally! I didn't get to see a few of you due to me leaving early and I missed an impromptu visit by EnglishFred on Thursday. We had a nice number of 19 overall, I think. Missed those of you that couldn't come...........hope to see you at our next gathering.........Bat Out Of Helen! (BOOH). It is not until late October, so get out and ride some till then!

As Fred always says.............CHEERS!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I want to wish a speedy recovery for not Jerry Atrick (Dave), but also clogan (Chet). Chet had to leave a couple days early due to his shoulder giving him bad fits. I hope all goes well for both of you guys and don't hesitate to call on us for help! Props to Wildhair (Darrell) for getting Dave's bike back home!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like (most) everyone had a great time. Joe tells me Dave was back up and around in no time. Tough dude right there!

Does anyone know if that old road going up to the cable car station still open?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like (most) everyone had a great time. Joe tells me Dave was back up and around in no time. Tough dude right there!

Does anyone know if that old road going up to the cable car station still open?
We actually moved TDP to Del Rio, TN (down the road from Hot Springs...and still ride in the Pisgah NF) back in 2010. We are back at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground on the 3rd weekend in June. Joe was there this past year.......said he was going to visit you guys. I took a group up to the tram car a little over a year ago....it's not gated, I hope.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts