Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering Maxxis M6006 tires for my bike this year. I've been running Michelin T66's for 6500 miles. They are great for longevity but useless off road.

If you use the Maxxis tire how bout posting up what you know?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I ran a set this year.. Excellent on loose stuff, but they're hard to get comfortable with on the road.. Squishy, but then again, most knobbie tires are..
I got a touch over 3K out of the rear..

Here's what they looked like the day I put them on..

Here's after a bunch of miles..

They feel squishy until you get them over a ways, and then they seem to settle in.. Just uncomfortable during the transition.. Not bad once they're almost worn out, though.. :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,

I need to go back to a more aggressive tire than what came stock on the ride. Here you do lots of riding on blacktop but when you go off the road you are really off! Wet mushy peat bog permafrost kinda off the road and usually many miles from anything at all.

The next step is finding some one who will ship them here to AK.

Ard

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check it out right now!!!!!

You Da Man

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I'll check it out right now!!!!!

You Da Man
Naw.. Just here to help..

If you get a chance, hunt down Brian Dow in Anchorage. He's KLRless here and on ADVrider.. He's gone to the other side and purchased a BMW R1150GS.. I'd send you his blog address, but I have it on my work computer and don't have it at home.
He's a Michigan native and now lives in your neck of the woods.

He owes me beer.. Drink it for me..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,

I got tired of being treated like a second class citizen because I live in Wasilla Alaska. All of the tire sellers with the great deals refused to ship to Wasilla.

Some of the dealers wanted to know what newspapers I read here and if I could name all of the continents. What's up with that?

I ordered Mefo Explorers from you know who, and they will deliver to my home here, even though I live so close to Russia!

Ardster

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hardyreels,

There are quite a few KLRistas down here in Anchorage and at least two I know up in the Valley.

There were a few KLR rides this summer but I always seemed to miss them.

We had a couple tech days last summer too.

I'm "Pastieman" over on ADV
Come on over to the Alaska section in the regional forum and say hi.

We'll have to go for a ride when the snow melts...
Wait, or when it gets warmer for more than two weeks.

Brian

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
"Some of the dealers wanted to know what newspapers I read here and if I could name all of the continents."

--You're joking, right?!?!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, It was a joke. Some of us can find our butts with both hands.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Ohhhhh...I get it now. Wow, I'm tired.

In my defense I didn't see the "russia" reference before or I probably would have gotten it. :ashamed0001:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hardyreels,

I read that you were getting some MEFO Explorers. Here are some picts of the ones that I have on my bike. The pictures were taken with about 4K-5K miles on them. I also did a lot of two up riding w/ my girlfriend too so I am pretty happy with how they are lasting. Currently, I have over 6K on them. I would be curious as to your opinion of this tire in the off-road conditions you see in AK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts