Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know there are plenty of excellent trip reports out there from people who've ridden all around Mexico and the central/southern Americas. We are full time students, and only went to Baja for one week over our winter break — not exactly an unparalleled feat. But, all three of us are new riders, and two of us were on KLRs. So if you need some inspiration to get you moving, and some reassurance that you don't need a bunch of money, nor a ton of fancy gear to get out there, you might enjoy our tale. We wore jeans, we didn't have a GPS or phone (nor did we even remotely need either), and our budget was $300 apiece.

I've been to somewhere around 40 countries in my life; sailed across oceans; hitchhiked many thousands of miles through foreign lands; bowed to the Dalai Lama in India and snuck into forbidden tribal areas between Pakistan and Afghanistan...and I'll tell you flat out: that one week in Mexico on my motorcycle was one of the most incredible experiences of my life.

I wrote the story on my blog, with each day as its own entry. Here's the link to day one which will get you started.

http://vicurious.blogspot.com/2012/01/mexi-moto-day-1-outbound.html

Ride safely, but do ride, my brothers and sisters!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great write up. I just bought my KLR, and am now looking for a good (smaller size) dual sport for my wife. We do a lot of hiking/camping all over the Blue Ridge and are hoping we can start adding trips on our bikes to the routine. I'll use your blog to give her a bit more inspiration. :)

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I've only browsed a little on your trip report blog.

Good on you for doing it up Baja Style! It's been quite a few years since I've been down there and I really miss it.

Looking forward to reading the whole story.

-m

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for taking a look, everyone. I always enjoy reading other people's reports about places I hope to visit, so it's fun to be able to provide some info for other people.

Cato, I'd be honored to know that my words helped encourage your wife to get on two wheels!

Scrapper, the whole story is quite long, I'm impressed you pushed through the whole thing. Such a fun trip. I feel like such a better rider after just that one week down there. I can't wait for all of the future trips which await me.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i enjoy reading about good trips like that, you have photo's and video to boot so it was easy for me to "push through it all" thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Awesome trip report.
Read it from beginning to end...great stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts