Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on lowering my 2001 KLR 650 and have had a hell of a time getting the front forks raised. One side came up pretty easy but the other side has only twisted a little bit and down a hair. Trying to get it raised but the two of us couldn't get it to budge. Thoughts suggestions. WD40 didn't seem to do much besides make it harder to get a grip on the fork. Yes, all bolts are loosened.

Still trying to find molybdenum disulfide grease to complete lowering the rear with longer dog bones.

Thanks for any assistance.
Bill

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have to ask the obvious questions, did you fully loosen the upper fork bridge and the lower triple clamps? Have you removed the front wheel?

If you have and the tubes are somehow stuck (corroded) in the clamps then you are going to have to spread the clamps gently to give them some wiggle room. That's what I would so if it were my problem.

I just re-read your post and see that the bolts are loosened. Remove them and gently spread the clamps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to ask the obvious questions, did you fully loosen the upper fork bridge and the lower triple clamps? Have you removed the front wheel?

If you have and the tubes are somehow stuck (corroded) in the clamps then you are going to have to spread the clamps gently to give them some wiggle room. That's what I would so if it were my problem.

I just re-read your post and see that the bolts are loosened. Remove them and gently spread the clamps.
There is no corrosion present and everything was loosened. Not exactly sure what you are mean by "upper fork bridge?" I will try and take the bolts off completely and see if that helps. I have not removed the front wheel, what would this accomplish? Thanks for your questions, hope to get this figured out so I can start riding!.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Removing the wheel will free up the tubes individually to be rotated and slid upward.

The upper fork bridge is the top set of clamps that secure the fork tubes.

Remove the wheel and try it. Use a good method of measurement to be sure that the tubes are evenly raised in the clamps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removing the wheel will free up the tubes individually to be rotated and slid upward.

The upper fork bridge is the top set of clamps that secure the fork tubes.

Remove the wheel and try it. Use a good method of measurement to be sure that the tubes are evenly raised in the clamps.
Thanks I will give that a go. And yes on the upper fork bridge.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Yes i agree with hardy remove the wheel it may be what has you in a bind if you got one to move it put the other in a pinch it is to hard to move both exatly at the same time use a pair of calipers to measure your lenghts and you can get them exactly the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That did the trick, piece of cake w/o the wheel on. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Always glad to help when I can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts