Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey gang,

Writing to get a somewhat better idea of how to smooth out the pulse on my 07' KLR. I recently brought it back to life after sitting dormant for several years, and although it runs, it could certainly run much better than it currently does.

I just rebuilt the carb with a rebuild kit, replaced the spark plug with a run of the mill NGK, and also got a new battery. As stated before, it does run, but the RPMs tend to flutter and stumble at idle. This also happens cruising at mid range, and also pops while decelerating.

So what I'm wondering is, is it time for a valve clearance check? And, what are some things short of that I could do to help her run a bit more smoothly?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. I have a manual supposedly on the way too, but USPS seems to have potentially lost it in transit, hence my posting here!

Attached also is a recording of my bike idling below.

My KLR Idling

-Dude

·
Registered
328 Posts
Did you ultrasonic the carb prior to rebuilding it? If not there may be some crap still lingering in the passages, specifically the idle circuit. I would check the valves too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you ultrasonic the carb prior to rebuilding it? If not there may be some crap still lingering in the passages, specifically the idle circuit. I would check the valves too.
No, that I did not. I let it sit in carb cleaner over night, and thoroughly blew the body and various ports out with compressed air before putting everything back together. Perhaps you're right about leftovers.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
To my ears it sounds Too Rich, is your cold start enrichner (choke) not fully seating, possibly the cable is binding or adjusted too tightly.

READ this posting about the 5 pilot jet outlets & Watch the linked video. KLR Keihin CVK40 carb Explained video

·
Administrator
3,939 Posts
Where did the carb kit come from?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To my ears it sounds Too Rich, is your cold start enrichner (choke) not fully seating, possibly the cable is binding or adjusted too tightly.

READ this posting about the 5 pilot jet outlets & Watch the linked video. KLR Keihin CVK40 carb Explained video
As far as I know, it's properly seated. I'll see if I can re-adjust the tension to make sure it's not too tight though. And thanks, I'll check out the video and read the article for sure,

·
Administrator
3,939 Posts
If memory serves I just got it from Kawasaki OEM Parts. Why do you ask?
Because there are a lot of junk Knock-off carb kits available these days that will mostly leave you doing the job twice.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
If memory serves I just got it from Kawasaki OEM Parts. Why do you ask?
OEM Kawasaki parts only sells Individual parts! No carb 'kits' are available from Kawasaki, to the best of my knowledge.

Reactions: spectra

·
Registered
46 Posts
OEM Kawasaki parts only sells Individual parts! No carb 'kits' are available from Kawasaki, to the best of my knowledge.
Yep had to buy a kit from the local dealer and it was a POS aftermarket kit.......... lucky for me I just needed the idle jet and it worked and at the price of 22 bucks I was not expecting much..........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts