Discussion Starter #1
Bastage!

Spit test, turn away now if you're squeamish

Fixed - total time about 10 minutes :HappyRoll:

·
Banned
277 Posts
That is very cool, in theory.

I'd still be sketchy on going tubeless on a spoked rim - all those opportunities for leaks out spoke holes, at minimum. I get that there's a rubber strip that has to be installed/glued in place, but that's one loooong seam around it that could leak, right? Same for the bead, really. Just would make me nervous.

The idea of getting a flat in a car on the highway makes me nervous enough as to how the car might respond at speed - I'm not going to get flung from a car! :41a:

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
That is very cool, in theory.

I'd still be sketchy on going tubeless on a spoked rim - all those opportunities for leaks out spoke holes, at minimum. I get that there's a rubber strip that has to be installed/glued in place, but that's one loooong seam around it that could leak, right? Same for the bead, really. Just would make me nervous.

The idea of getting a flat in a car on the highway makes me nervous enough as to how the car might respond at speed - I'm not going to get flung from a car! :41a:
The process of "de-tubing" a KLR rim is more complex than you realize, from your comments, geolemon!

Spec described the process in detail on another thread.

YMMV, but . . . I see the risk of a flat no greater with a conscientious Tubliss conversion, than with a tube. A distinctive difference arises in the REPAIR of a flat, as seen!

Perhaps the same reservations as yours were expressed, when automobiles converted to tubeless tires, 'round about 1953 . . .

Regardless, ride your own ride, with whatever enhances your own comfort zone, in good health!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles have you logged on it now, Spec?

About 1,000. I did a pretty good day with it up in the local mountains a couple of weekends ago. The forest serivce road had lots of pot holes and was in fairly bad shape overall. Hit a few bad spots at speed (unintentionally) and didn't knock the tire off the rim :elated:

To be fair it does loose a bit of air during the week something like 3-5 lbs. The rear did loose air with a tube also but not quite as much. My front tube tire looses about 2-3 lbs per week.

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Pretty good track record in 1,000 miles, I would say, especially on the rougher terrain. I followed your thread and you seemed quite thorough with your research and methods. Seems to me like it's working out for you. Good deal.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many miles since the repair, Spec? Is it holding up okay?

About 300, it's good.

I kept a pretty close eye on it for a couple of days, I was suspicious! But no it's holding air same as before.

Nice invention tire plugs.

·
Registered
901 Posts
About 300, it's good.

I kept a pretty close eye on it for a couple of days, I was suspicious! But no it's holding air same as before.

Nice invention tire plugs.
When I worked at the Big Pine Chevron way back in the 80s when I was in high school, the owner of the station used about six plugs in a tire on his personal truck that had a rather large hole in it - large enough that it took about six plugs to seal it up. He then drove another two years or so on the tire...

Yeah, the guy was cheap! He didn't want to spend any money on new tires for his truck.

Honestly, I really wish the KLR came with tubeless tires so that trail-side repair could sometimes be accomplished with tire plugs and your handy 12 volt pump.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Love the idea, but with my luck, I'd be about 35 miles from the nearest human when that stuff let go
No doubt. However you can still carry a tube with you just in case. The KLR FAQ says you can use a front tube in the back in a pinch.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I don't know how I missed all this (I do, but it's a secret). Very cool, Spec. :doublethumb:

·
Registered
129 Posts
After having to cut another tire off the back rim I decided to convert to tubeless. Many thanks to Spec for blazing this trail. I was able to lever the tire on without fear of a pinched tube, the tire sealed to the rim without much trouble and it's held pressure overnight. Can't say I'm looking forward to a flat, but if it occurs I'm anticipating a much easier repair.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After having to cut another tire off the back rim I decided to convert to tubeless. Many thanks to Spec for blazing this trail. I was able to lever the tire on without fear of a pinched tube, the tire sealed to the rim without much trouble and it's held pressure overnight. Can't say I'm looking forward to a flat, but if it occurs I'm anticipating a much easier repair.

You'll be happy to know that the bead breaks much easier without the tube in there. I know I was!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts