Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I'm a little tired, a little frustrated, and definitely a dumbass somewhere in this problem.

Here goes. I'm speaking of the blinky light on the dash, not the actual amber turn signal lights (all of those are working properly). Turn indicator blinker works on left turn, not right turn. It was working JUST FINE before I got the bright idea and tore it all down to tap into the high beam light for a relay signal for the new driving lights. I had the gauge cluster pulled off the bike and put in LED's as half the bulbs were burned out.

On the positive the high beam, low beam, driving lights all work as intended...High beam turns on driving lights, etc.

I didn't splice any wires. My tap was into the socket.

So, what do you think I did? Besides break it:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
The easiest is to check all connections. Since you were in the dash and maybe headlight , you May have partially unplugged a wiring bullet terminal still stuck in the plastic protective sleeve ( and look ok from a glance).

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
IIRC, it has something to do with using or is it "not using" a polarized LED bulb in that indicator.

Electricity is my biggest downfall. But if we stir up enough postings here or you do a little more searching using the "Google Custom Search" on the RH side of screen, you'll get it straightened out.

And check out the Similar Threads at the Bottom of screen.

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
If you put an LED in the indicator socket, undo that.

An LED is a diode; it only passes current in one direction.

Put an incandescent back in there and see if it doesn’t get better.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your input!! Great advice concerning led. I just assumed since I checked blinkers one way, it was automatically going to work for the other side. I really need a better reason to pull that cluster than to just change a bulb out... maybe I'll get more initiative if I have a lexan overlay to install:) Again, I do appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Lotz of respect for Tom's knowledge, but wanted to share my experience in replacing the turn signal dashboard blinky light with a brighter LED years ago, so that I would notice it in daylight, rather than proceeding down the road, blinking away.

I did it, and it works great. 🍻

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
That I definitely agree with. There are regular 5mm diodes that are very high intensity and work very well when mounted at the upper corners of the dash, too. I might have a picture somewhere; if so I'll post it up.

Reactions: stoner

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
You can insert a bridge rectifier to ensure that an LED is biased properly for either input polarity.
Small units are available from Amazon.

Reactions: Damocles

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
It's been a while since I followed a wiring diagram; and both my memory and understanding remain fallible.

Looked to me as though the OEM incandescent dashboard turn flasher indicator bulb switching REVERSES current, when L or R is indicated. Incandescent bulb (not unlike a honey badger) doesn't CARE about polarity. Bare-bones LEDs (the "D" is for, "DIODE"), however, DO. Thus, a little electronic circuitry magic is necessary to make the LED bulb radiate when either a L or R turn is signaled.

That is, if you really WANT a LED dashboard turn indicator light! :)

(DON'T take this fuzzy and cursory circuit analysis, "to the bank!" Please correct any error.)

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom Schmitz Put an incandescent back in there and see if it doesn’t get better. [QUOTE said:
Just wanted to give an update. All back to normal since I put the regular bulb back in. I waited till I had the opportunity to Thermo-bob so I could put the lexan in place while I was in the area.

Thanks again for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts