Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from lunch, was sneaking in a smoke before I went back in and realized that right rear turn signal has fallen off of it's mount and is just hanging from wires. Looks like the screw backed out. It also turns out both brackets, left and right are also loosening up.
Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yep,
my right turn signal fell off and melted while dangling in front of the muffler on a ride. The OE were $55 each to replace if I remembered correctly. Seemed like had I fixed the OE, they would have just continued to fall off. I replaced them with turn signals from CycleGear for $12.

I used fender washers to fill the hole for the oe mounting brackets, but I am going to cut new brackets from aluminum just using the old as template. Very easy and they don't fall off.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just duct taped that mofo back on. Looks like the screw is still in there. So I guess when I get home, I'm pulling the assmebly off to try to put it back together the right way...Though, at this point, I have more faith in the 100mph tape.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
OCTOBER 2008 -- Kawasaki is recalling 5,804 MY 2008 KL650E8F and KL650E8FL (California) motorcycles. The turn signal stalk(s) can break, resulting in the signal assembly hanging by the wire harness. This could create a possibility of a crash resulting in injury or death. Dealers will replace all four turn signal assemblies. The recall began on October 13, 2008. Owners may contact Kawasaki at 1-866-802-9381. 08V-520

Might enter your VIN and see if your bike is up for recall signals...

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentUrl=/SITE/VIVEHICLEINFORMATION/VICHOOSEVEHICLE.ASP

K
L
R

Keep Loctite Ready

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I believe there's a recall on them and they're replaced under the recall for free. Check with your dealer. Bad plastic was the issue.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LMAO! Doncha hate that?
Thanks guys. I'll double check. Swinging by there anyway after work. Though IIRC, I do remember them telling me when I took it in to get the tire done that all the service was done at that shop and all recalls done. But, I'll double check that anyway.
My buddy is making fun of me right now, because it's the same signal I kicked off several times on my ducati when I had it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The cool thing is that the dirty rat gave you the link to check the VIN against Kawi's system.. You'll know right away if they're going to give you new turn signals or if you're going to need to buy flush mounted ones..

dirty rat.. Hee Hee!!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
dirty rat.. Hee Hee!!
I'll still love him tomorrow, though.. Today he was nice enough to leave me a spammer to ban.. Usually he's got them cleaned up before I get out of bed. Today I got to do our One Touch Ban and Clean before Vatrader blew him away.. It was a nice way to start the day. :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
LOL.
So, do tell...
What are these flush mounted ones?
Just the standard aftermarket flush mount turnsignals.. Several companies are making them.. Not sure what's involved in installing them, though.. My 02' is still wearing the originals..:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, I may have to check those out just for fun. But, unless they're broken, I suspect that like you, I'll be keeping the stockers. Too many other mods to buy.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
The cool thing is that the dirty rat gave you the link to check the VIN against Kawi's system.. You'll know right away if they're going to give you new turn signals or if you're going to need to buy flush mounted ones..

dirty rat.. Hee Hee!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ressurecting an old thread here, but my turn signal just broke as described in the above posts. Any chance I could still get some free replacements? I'm guessing that ship has long since sailed but does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If your 2008 KLR650 was covered by the recall and has not already had all four turn signals replaced, it is still eligible. You can call your local Kawasaki shop with the VIN number from the title and they can check. Maybe some early 2009 KLR650s were included but later, no.

As rotten as the rubber was in those early gen2 KLRs, I would doubt that a defective one covered by the recall would have lasted this long parked in a garage and never ridden.

All four replaced on my 2008 are still in good shape.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts