Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using the tusk crash bars? If so what do you think about them? The price is right and after watching the installation video they look great. I did however find one video where the guy said there was extreme vibration in them. I would like to try a set if I could figure out a way of stopping the vibe.. thanks for any help...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just installed a set of them on my '09 KLR 2 weeks ago. The installation went pretty much as they have shown in the video, but of course they make it look easy. I had to loosen my Ricochet skid plate to get the bottom motor mount bolt in place. The tricky part was getting the 4 allen head bolts in the tube clamp, which they say in the video takes some "finesse" but it helps if you snug up the motor mount bolts first. Once you get the first bolt in place the other 3 just fall in. The only other pain was remounting the gas tank, probably because I had it full.

Overall, I am very happy with them, they appear pretty stout, well built, and solid once installed. They contour the lower plastic pretty well. I haven't torture tested it by dumping the bike, hopefully I won't have to. I definitely wanted a set on my bike before I took it off road. Replacing the lower plastic and radiator wouldn't be cheap, the crash bars are my insurance policy against that.

I had no vibration problems. I only saw one account of someone complaining about that.

I also installed a set of the Tusk pannier racks and cans, that was way more of a pain in the a$$ job than the crash bars.

Here's a pic...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I looked at the TUSK and the SW-MOTECH when I was shopping. I noticed one small difference that was my deciding factor. The SW-MOTECT has small metal plates welded in the weak points where bars meet and are welded. I believe this one feature makes their product stronger in stress points.
Now they have been on my bike for more than a year and I love them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I looked at the TUSK and the SW-MOTECH when I was shopping. I noticed one small difference that was my deciding factor. The SW-MOTECT has small metal plates welded in the weak points where bars meet and are welded. I believe this one feature makes their product stronger in stress points.
Now they have been on my bike for more than a year and I love them.
I looked at those but they had fitment issues with certain skid plates. Plus they were significantly more expensive. The tusk bars have more sharp angles instead of right angles as with the SW-Motech ones so gussets probably aren't as necessary. I'm happy with the tusk bars, they are worth the money and will protect the bike if I dump it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with the tusk the fitment was great went ahead and added a rubber block instead of the provided spacers. I can't hear or feel any difference in vibration with them. My dad has the sw motechs on his klr yes they seem higher quality with the welded in gussets and the finish but the motechs are a lot harder to install they just don't line up as well. For the difference in price I really like the tusk....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts