Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i just got some Tusk D-sport tires in today, is anyone else running these?

They seem like D606 tough, super thick sidewalls and an aggressive tread patttern. I'm gonna replace my worn old D606's with them and see how they compare For like $135 a set it seems worth trying.

So is anyone else here on this tire?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the rear on my DRZ, and it digs pretty well, I was picking up the front end when I was expecting it to spin. I'll be putting the front on soon. I've heard good things about them on the 701, so when I kill the TKC80 rear I'll install one there as well.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
I'll suggest that the two of you should contemplate the front tread pattern On the Ground.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< vs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Which way scoots the gravel, sand & mud to the sides as you apply the front brake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the rear on my DRZ, and it digs pretty well, I was picking up the front end when I was expecting it to spin. I'll be putting the front on soon. I've heard good things about them on the 701, so when I kill the TKC80 rear I'll install one there as well.
Nice, that's the way my 606's feel when new, these seem like a similar tire in terms of knobs and sidewall stiffness.

I'll suggest that the two of you should contemplate the front tread pattern On the Ground.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< vs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Which way scoots the gravel, sand & mud to the sides as you apply the front brake.
Why, is the front rotation direction arrow wrong? I didn't look closely at the tread direction vs the arrow, but i'm going to mount them later today.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Nice, that's the way my 606's feel when new, these seem like a similar tire in terms of knobs and sidewall stiffness.

Why, is the front rotation direction arrow wrong? I didn't look closely at the tread direction vs the arrow, but i'm going to mount them later today.
Which tire are you referring to?

A driving tire / rear tire needs to be installed in the common 'tractor tread' direction, to keep from plugging up in sticky soils.
The front tires on motorcycles are only 'Driven' by the roadway and driven even harder when on the brakes properly.
Any 'tractor tread' grooving (street tires) or tread blocks/knobs (dirt tires) need to scoot the water or loose soil to the sides rather than scooping it into the center-line.

IMO, these Front Tires have incorrect directional arrows on their sidewalls.
Dunlop D606, Tusk D-sport, Kenda K761

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which tire are you referring to?

A driving tire / rear tire needs to be installed in the common 'tractor tread' direction, to keep from plugging up in sticky soils.
The front tires on motorcycles are only 'Driven' by the roadway and driven even harder when on the brakes properly.
Any 'tractor tread' grooving (street tires) or tread blocks/knobs (dirt tires) need to scoot the water or loose soil to the sides rather than scooping it into the center-line.

IMO, these Front Tires have incorrect directional arrows on their sidewalls.
Dunlop D606, Tusk D-sport, Kenda K761

I looked at it when i installed it and you're right, the tread seems 'backwards' I put it on so the sipes will eject stuff under braking so opposite the labeled rotation direction.

I rode these today, i dig it, it's easy to lift the front and i've got good stopping power on dirt and paved. I really like how easy it is to break the rear sideways with good control, at least on my road. Steering with throttle is easy, drifting over crests, through off camber corners, and landing jumps into downhill turns is confidence inspiring, it feels right when i send it.

They do feel like they have quite a bit of resistance on tip in at slower speeds but i'm adjusting. I tried tractoring over some dirt lumps and rock piles and it feels hooked up. They're a bit squirmy in a straight line on pavement but i imagine once they get scuffed in good they'll get smoother. I didn't get any knobby wobble laying it over in the canyon run but i didn't quite get all the way over to peg dragging ether. It just started pouring after my ride so maybe when the rain passes i'll see how they handle wet and mud.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I put on the Tusk DS rear for a Death Valley ride earlier this year. (130/17).

Did 250 miles of pavement from San Diego. Rode another 400-500 miles of mixed dirt, rocks, gravel and pavement while there. Then I did all pavement back.

The tire held up really well. Felt like a street tire on the pavement and a D606 off-road. I’m a fan.

·
Registered
416 Posts
But, hey, tires can only do so much...the rider is responsible for keeping them pointed down.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I put on the Tusk DS rear for a Death Valley ride earlier this year. (130/17).

Did 250 miles of pavement from San Diego. Rode another 400-500 miles of mixed dirt, rocks, gravel and pavement while there. Then I did all pavement back.

The tire held up really well. Felt like a street tire on the pavement and a D606 off-road. I’m a fan.
View attachment 26464
That is a bad assed looking rear knobbie! ! bet that was fun to wrestle on with a set up tire irons. line6

·
Registered
416 Posts
Oh how I wish it were.
And you should see the beautiful video...
09ECE6E1-9D1B-47DC-AE32-4A5C6A76BF43.jpeg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol, I bent a tire iron getting mine on. if i never have to wrestle them off at night in rain or snow i'll be happy. Hopefully the thick sidewalls will help stop pinch flats.

And yeah they're gnarly offroad, but not bad at all on the road. As they break in they feel a little less squirmy. I really love the way they slide, effortless and predictable. I gotta be careful though about digging trenches up my road when it's wet, these things seriously dig in and till soil when they're hooking up.

Dan Diego, that looks similar to my riding style and terrain, got a link to the video?

Here's mine, a '93 and it's getting close to finished. It's filthy because there's no place to wash it within 30 miles and i haven't been down that way yet, all the car washes locally closed down and that green tank behind the seat is my water supply for my house, but it's almost ready. I got a good 7" round steel headlight bucket coming this week and an LED headlight, i'm gonna order a Trailtech Vapor and hopefully someday get the proper battery bracket that's been on backorder from Kawasaki for over a month. Those are Tusk barkbusters from around 2005 and i got a Tusk bashplate that i'll put back on once it's washed and i'm done with the next oil change.

Then i just need to get some side luggage and go ADVing in those hazy mountains in the background across the valley.
20200726_181748.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
My brother got us both sets for our KLRs back in March and I'm just now hitting 2000 miles on mine. They replaced Shinko 705s - a very street biased tread. The front felt really knifey on the street at first, and the rear lightly rubbed my exhaust pipe down by the s-bend when hitting big bumps. As the front got a few hundred miles scuffing in it settled down (or I got used to it). I went from a 16T to a 15T countershaft sprocket and the resulting chain adjustment solved the rear tire pipe rub issue. They stick on pavement better than they should by the looks of them, and feel way better than 705s in the dirt. I've been running 25 psi and it seems to be a good compromise. The front is now getting some cupping-type wear, and the rear looks to be at about 50%, so I expect to replace them within 1000 miles. Seems to be well worth the money to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My brother got us both sets for our KLRs back in March and I'm just now hitting 2000 miles on mine. They replaced Shinko 705s - a very street biased tread. The front felt really knifey on the street at first, and the rear lightly rubbed my exhaust pipe down by the s-bend when hitting big bumps. As the front got a few hundred miles scuffing in it settled down (or I got used to it). I went from a 16T to a 15T countershaft sprocket and the resulting chain adjustment solved the rear tire pipe rub issue. They stick on pavement better than they should by the looks of them, and feel way better than 705s in the dirt. I've been running 25 psi and it seems to be a good compromise. The front is now getting some cupping-type wear, and the rear looks to be at about 50%, so I expect to replace them within 1000 miles. Seems to be well worth the money to me.
Right on, i run a 14T front sprocket, and i've got my exhaust shimmed out of the way from the 606 i had on there.

I've got over 200 miles on them now, with a bit less than half of that on pavement and they're starting to get less knifey on the road. Offroad they're great, i rode a longer loop the other day and took them through the entire range from paved, to gravel and dirt road blasting, a short highway run to connect more dirt, several water crossings varying from rock garden to mud bogs, sand, and all manner of rocks and ruts.

I like how they hook up and dig good but are still easy to break loose with almost no effort.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts