Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new poster here with a '17 klr that I am modding up a bit. I am installing Tusk pannier racks. I know a bunch of you guys have Tusk racks. It seems that after install you have to remove the racks to get the left panel off the bike. Is that correct? How do you get the seat off in that case? Maybe I'll leave that seat bolt out. How would you get to the battery? I hope this is not a stupid question.
Thanks for any points.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have removed my seat bolts and not missed them on the direction of some dude I have never met on this board. I do have a velcro strap the straps the seat down running through the rack. Just for the heck of it. Isn't needed because as others have said, your butt holds it down when it's moving and it's wedged in there pretty good anyway.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Once racks are installed, there is room to get side panel off, you have manipulate it but nothing extreme. I thought the same thing when I installed the racks. Hell, when I needed to access the seat I loosened the racks the first time before realizing I didnt have to.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I drilled a hole in each side panel and lined it with a split fuel line so I can remove the seat with a nut driver without removing the panels... I'm lazy I guess.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had to run out to my bike to check, because I had no idea what you meant (maybe I still don't). I've got the racks installed, and never touched them since putting them on. The racks do not interfere with the side panels (though, as beamwalker said, you need to get the right angle). If you have trouble, might take 5 seconds. Love my Tusk panniers though!

·
Registered
117 Posts
When Tusk Panniers are new, and straight, you don't need to do anything to them to get the side panels off. If you drop it, hard, and bend it a bit then you may have to loosen the right side mounting bolts a bit to get the side panels out. Ask me how I know. Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct

You are all absolutely correct. Once the racks are installed the left side cover comes off about as easy as the right. I don't know why the Tusk installation instructions say that you won't be able to remove the left one after installation. Its not true and would seem to scare people away by making it a PITA to access the battery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed in february and since then never had issues with removing fairings.
I don't even need to remove boxes when I remove fairings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Left side fairing won't come off on my 2008 without removing the Tusk panier rack. California emissions cannister makes it impossible to manipulate the fairing into a position it will slide out. At least it seems so, I don't want to thrash the fairing to find out

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Left side fairing won't come off on my 2008 without removing the Tusk panier rack. California emissions cannister makes it impossible to manipulate the fairing into a position it will slide out. At least it seems so, I don't want to thrash the fairing to find out

I removed that canister

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 2014 KLR left panel comes off through the back of the rack... Non-CA model...

Just installed them yesterday and love them so far... Rivots on top latches are trying to scratch my pannier top, but working on a solution for that.

Removed all Tusk decals and put a Kawa label and some Kawa green striping... Matches my white with green stripe bike. Sorry for the bad pics, but it's dark here.

Sammy

·
Registered
206 Posts

I like beamwalker removed my canister. But I'm not in cali. Thank Heavens!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, large Tusk. Took some pics today during daylight hours...

Sammy

Added some moulding to the pannier tops today for scratch protection, and to help secure anything loaded on top of them during travel... Just 1" black body side moulding from O'Reilly's Auto parts.

Sammy

·
Registered
206 Posts
I noticed the rear rack in one of the pictures. Not stock! Where did you get that. Looks way more handy then the stock one.
TIA!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just received the same setup except with the medium size panniers and the front attachment point for right size mounting frame is off by over 1" not lining up properly with the top bolt of the passenger footpeg support. Also the attachment lug angles were off where they attach to the rear luggage rack. As it stand i have been waiting to see what rockymountain atv is going to do they are looking into the problem.
Did you experience any of these problems?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts