Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering Tusk panniers. Deciding on what size. Have read that the large panniers cause some instability at highway speeds. Anyone have any experience with the Tusk product?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to envision how I'd fill them up. Tools, extra inner tubes, parts, plus foul weather gear and what else all. I have a First Gear Dry Pak 70 liter waterproof bag that will hold all my personal stuff so not sure I need the big ones...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve no idea what size panniers or bags I need solo camping up to a week alone.

I’ve struggled to fill one 1500ct A165 ammo can...minus food, bag and pad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Are you guys talking about the hard or soft ones???? If you're talking about the soft ones I have a friend with a set. I could score a few pics of them on his KLR. They look great and he's pretty damn happy with them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Considering Tusk panniers. Deciding on what size. Have read that the large panniers cause some instability at highway speeds. Anyone have any experience with the Tusk product?
That's the reason I decided on medium......plus the large looks weird to me

There plenty big enough for my needs. I'm happy with my choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
The large ones are massive ... I have the mediums and a 40 liter dry bag ... I camp all the time with no issues ...

I could always fill more space but honestly it is just too much IMHO ...

We go a bit off road and the mediums when loaded are definitely a PITA to ride off road with ... I have all I can do dealing with them. The large ones would be downright unwieldy ...

As far as high speed, the mediums dont bug me at all .... No buffeting or other odd handling ... I cant speak to the large ones ...

Most guys I ride with have the mediums and are happy as well ...

My 2 cents ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a set of the large hard cases. I love them. Those plus a 22" tool box on the back seat was enough to pack all my things for a summer internship - clothes, laptop, etc.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. Great comments. I went ahead with the large ones. I don't freeway ride if I can help it and it has never been my experience that I had enough space for fishing/camping so that was my decision. Any thoughts on installation lessons learned?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's my install completed. Good a little adjustment for the locking knobs, but otherwise I installed them to align to the seat angle and I think they came out pretty nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
The only problem I see with larger panniers is that I would just stuff more crap that I didn't need in them, making them heavier and working the rear suspension harder (and, making the bike more unstable). My first long motorcycle trip that I took last September, I ended up shipping almost 60 pounds of stuff home after the first few days, and it made the rest of the trip and riding the motorcycle a lot more enjoyable.

Of course, that's just me.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
The only problem I see with larger panniers is that I would just stuff more crap that I didn't need in them, making them heavier and working the rear suspension harder (and, making the bike more unstable). My first long motorcycle trip that I took last September, I ended up shipping almost 60 pounds of stuff home after the first few days, and it made the rest of the trip and riding the motorcycle a lot more enjoyable.
Of course, that's just me.
That's my issue and why I went soft... THE BAGS I MEAN!!!
I was gonna do AmmoBoxes black to match my Gen1 and just decided, MAN! THAT'S ALOTTA WEIGHT ONLY ON THE BACK and I haven't even put anything in 'em!!! I can ONLY get SO many tools in my front ToolTube to counter the weight. And, I shoulda led with this, I have an OEM Shock... Very Ouch Baby! Even if I upgraded I'd be reluctant to load up this bike with too very much, even if I have done the sub-frame bolt beef-up. Sure, I'll want my laptop with me but I want to enjoy the Ride, so I'll elect to not take so much (and I'm a packer man... I'd be sending 60#s back during MY trip TOO!!!). Wheelies sure are easy though!!!

That said, would LOVE to go Hard, but went Soft in lieu of a better ride, too SarGuy, even if accessing my Bags is more a pain in the patootie and camping is a little less tiptoe through the tulips... I'm good with it!

Your Hard Bags look as good as any I've ever seen on a KLR RceCconi; and I'm a HUGE 'Black' Fan! Yours is juuuuust about the ONLY KLR OEM Paint/Color Scheme that I would NOT paint over... ever other I'd not be able to wait to get a RattleCan even on them!!! Okay, I wouldn't repaint the Tengai either. Changed my Gen.1 from Fugly Green and missing body parts to TruckBedLinerBlack with excellent results and about to convert my Red '09 to a, get this... TINTABLE TruckBedLiner (Raptor product)... miiiiiight go OD/ArmyGreen with Black accents including Rims (if I can find a front one!!!) or I just might go 'Black' again. Black always works... IN EVERYTHING!!!

Let us know how your Freeway Rides go with those new Cases and be sure to note how easily you can wheelie NOW!!! Curious if you track mileage, too; 'wonder what minor effect they'd have on the gas mileage? Anyway, AWESOME BIKE!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks! So I was thinking that I'd want to have room for parts and tubes and tools, rain gear etc. Also camping fishing gear, but I haven't op checked any of this yet. Guess the worst case is I get some other solution later. Since the bike came with the mount all I had to buy was the panniers them selves so not a huge investment. I also have a Firstgear Dry Pak 70 for my duds.

Yes, it is a great color. I'll update on higher speed riding, but I never have fun on freeways anyway. I haven't taken it on a long road trip yet so mileage is a question mark, but I'll let you know what I find.

And they should hold plenty of beer!

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Had both in the garage and thought these pics might help a future decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the medium on my gen1 I also have a set of soft bags also for my more serious off road travel. I found that I hit my leg on the hard panniers some times. I think my soft bags are 36-56 liter. Thanks for the pics. Really helps with the scale.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts