Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put on my new black Tusk Panniers yesterday. It took most all of the day to do. Mainly because I was lulled by the directions into using those crimp connectors. Of course they don't work worth a crap so then had to go an solder the extension on the left blinker.

Anyhew

Going to work this morning, I hit the highway and wow, these boxes cause an azzload of drag. I mean 400rpm worth or close. Also makes the bike less stable by a touch. Maybe if it the boxes were loaded it wouldn't seems so. But empty they like to play with all of the unstable air on a busy highway.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's one of the issues with big rigid panniers. Another is that you can break a leg if they fall on you offroad. And they're heavy.

OTOH they carry a ton of stuff, can strap stuff down on top of them, can be entirely waterproof, and might take the brunt of the damage saving your bike in a crash.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's one of the issues with big rigid panniers. Another is that you can break a leg if they fall on you offroad. And they're heavy.

OTOH they carry a ton of stuff, can strap stuff down on top of them, can be entirely waterproof, and might take the brunt of the damage saving your bike in a crash.
Going to endeavor to crash as little as possible! This bike is so flippin heavy off road that it will probably kill me anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,138 Posts
Going to endeavor to crash as little as possible! This bike is so flippin heavy off road that it will probably kill me anyway.
Well, just think back in time about 50-60 years!

Riders used to use the Triumph, BSA & Yamaha 650 air cooled parallel twins (they weighted a little more than a Gen 2 KLR) for Desert Racing and Cross Country travelling.
They had about 4.5 - 5.0 inches of front suspension and 3.5 - 4.5 inches of rear suspension (the weight was lower to the ground).

They were in "Seventh Heaven" coming off of HD & Indian V-Twins.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed the 27 liters Tusk Pannier Boxes. I really like them, but they are bulky and you can feel the difference on the highway.
It took several hours the installation, it is for sure not a fast install, but was not too hard.

I think the pros are definitely more than the cons....

·
Registered
963 Posts
I never did like the look of the "suitcase" looking panniers. I understand that they can hold a lot of stuff but the KLR does have some styling appeal. To me, the suitcases bolted on the rear really detract from the look of the motorcycle. I know Kawasaki makes bags for the bike but why isn't something like this available?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I like that but you know something like that would cost a $1000.

Anyway, coming home yesterday on the highway I hit some traffic turbulance about 60mph and got the wobbles. I have a feeling that it is in part due to the panniers and in part due to the new kenda k270 which I find to be a little squirrely on the road. I may have to switch out that front tire for something else. Surely there has to be a way to route some air around these thing.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Something more like this would be more aerodynamic

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the aerodynamic part but I love the being able open the top like a box. I may have to some up with maybe some sort of bulb for the front of these boxes when on trips where I need to get into the 70mph range.

·
Registered
963 Posts
....I may have to some up with maybe some sort of bulb for the front of these boxes when on trips where I need to get into the 70mph range.
Here's a thought. I have one of these fuel holders mounted to the bottom of my Versys 1000 box. The tank inside holds about a quart. It's really a owners manual holder for a tractor. If you mounted one on the front of each box vertically, it may deflect the wind and help. You could use it for fuel or water. Even oil (if you have a 2008) LOL. The guys here can chime in and tell you where to get the bottle. I've forgotten. There's three sizes of bottles and I don't remember which one fits. I think it's just under a quart. I did find the tube. Here's the link to the plastic tube:
https://www.agrisupply.com/manual-canister-large/p/67670/?sid=asf10&eid=Easf10&zmam=77232640&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=67670&utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NB_PLA_Canisters_GOOG&utm_content=sAYBRbF5E_dc|pcrid|102508995671|pkw||pmt||product|67670||&gclid=CjwKCAjw06LZBRBNEiwA2vgMVUETWYimmEpov-RNX5MRx4qGmtU5g4ZpmERQSSQ4Cn67C_Z76cl5xhoCxEwQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the Kawasaki side cases on a Versys1000, no issues. Of course there is about 100 HP helping to keep that missile going forward :)
The MSR bottles can found on Amazon and any outdoor store (REI, Cabelas)...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a thought. I have one of these fuel holders mounted to the bottom of my Versys 1000 box. The tank inside holds about a quart. It's really a owners manual holder for a tractor. If you mounted one on the front of each box vertically, it may deflect the wind and help. You could use it for fuel or water. Even oil (if you have a 2008) LOL. The guys here can chime in and tell you where to get the bottle. I've forgotten. There's three sizes of bottles and I don't remember which one fits. I think it's just under a quart. I did find the tube. Here's the link to the plastic tube:
https://www.agrisupply.com/manual-canister-large/p/67670/?sid=asf10&eid=Easf10&zmam=77232640&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=67670&utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NB_PLA_Canisters_GOOG&utm_content=sAYBRbF5E_dc|pcrid|102508995671|pkw||pmt||product|67670||&gclid=CjwKCAjw06LZBRBNEiwA2vgMVUETWYimmEpov-RNX5MRx4qGmtU5g4ZpmERQSSQ4Cn67C_Z76cl5xhoCxEwQAvD_BwE

I happen to have TWO of these very bottles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I happen to have TWO of these very bottles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well well then,,, Don't you love it when a plan comes together. I'd tape the tubes on first to see how they did before drilling any holes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Plano’s weather proof gun cases as my Panniers. At about $50 a piece, thought it was worth a try. They are not top loading of course. But, I’ve never really had a problem with that. Just worked around it. Never had issues going down the highway either. Feel like they’re not there.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DOn't get me wrong, I am loving the fact that I can transport bodies in these Tusk panniers. I have been commuting without them and just on my new kenda 270 tires and I think that is probably the biggest culprit in the wobbles. While it doesn't wobble at 70mph whitout the panniers, it feels as if on the cusp.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 270 - especially on the front - does tend to be a pavement-wobbly kind of tire. Just look at the tread design - small knobs, that are relatively unsupported - especially in the last row.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 270 - especially on the front - does tend to be a pavement-wobbly kind of tire. Just look at the tread design - small knobs, that are relatively unsupported - especially in the last row.
This is why I have taken to the Heidenau K60 Scout, had them on my R1200GS and loved them on tarmax and dirt. Food for thought.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Patroy, would you post a pic of your panniers, they are on my list of accessories and was wondering what size. As far as highway speed wobbles, out of fork brace, lower fender, zero gravity windscreen and tires(Shinko 705), the tires were the most noticeable improvement for the wobble/shimmy at least on my bike. I have since added progressive springs, which are great for removing that nose dive when braking. Haven't noticed much in handling but with only 2 1/2 months on the bike i'm still figuring out the subtleties

1 - 20 of 30 Posts