Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gung Ho 22' KLR owner here...so of course I order a few common mods. Among the first is the Tusk Extended Shift Pedal acquired from 3D cycle parts. I indeed noticed the frustratingly short/small clearance between peg and pedal as soon as the ride home from the dealership, riding with low top hiking boots. I knew this would be a problem with any sort of riding boots, especially off road. The Tusk Pedal part description gave me hope. The reviews....gave me hope. The part....let me down.

This thing don't hardly extend shit folks. Sorry. Just slip the rubber casing off the OEM pedal & it's about the same. At best, the benefit is that it is more than half the weight of the OEM pedal. Tusk comes in @ 3.925oz, OEM comes in @8.853oz. I have included photos of both pedals with registration marks on the floor. Phone is locked at a known position for both photos & pedal is installed @ same angle. Hope this helps if anyone is considering the purchase. I'll try it out, but honestly I was hoping for quite a bit more in terms of an extension to get them beefy big boy boots under'neath. Rats!

OEM

TUSK

OEM

TUSK

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Major appliance

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
29 Posts
I've always had a heck of a time being able to shift properly with the stock KLR shifter. Had the Tusk extended shifters on all my KLR's and couldn't be happier with them. It also helped get rid of the clunky shifting that these ancient transmissions are known for. I think a lot of it has to do with your size foot & the boots you wear.
Sorry to hear it was a no go for you :/

Reactions: matttfang

·
Registered
28 Posts
The best thing you can do is get yourself a set of JNS drop peg brackets; much more roof and way better ergonomics.

Dave
Dave, I did. They work great for my 36" inseam but size 13 still meant scarred paint on the side case. Not a deal breaker by any means but I bet it isn't that uncommon with the Tusk (or any other extended lever).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've always had a heck of a time being able to shift properly with the stock KLR shifter. Had the Tusk extended shifters on all my KLR's and couldn't be happier with them. It also helped get rid of the clunky shifting that these ancient transmissions are known for. I think a lot of it has to do with your size foot & the boots you wear.
Gung Ho 22' KLR owner here...so of course I order a few common mods. Among the first is the Tusk Extended Shift Pedal acquired from 3D cycle parts. I indeed noticed the frustratingly short/small clearance between peg and pedal as soon as the ride home from the dealership, riding with low top hiking boots. I knew this would be a problem with any sort of riding boots, especially off road. The Tusk Pedal part description gave me hope. The reviews....gave me hope. The part....let me down.

This thing don't hardly extend shit folks. Sorry. Just slip the rubber casing off the OEM pedal & it's about the same. At best, the benefit is that it is more than half the weight of the OEM pedal. Tusk comes in @ 3.925oz, OEM comes in @8.853oz. I have included photos of both pedals with registration marks on the floor. Phone is locked at a known position for both photos & pedal is installed @ same angle. Hope this helps if anyone is considering the purchase. I'll try it out, but honestly I was hoping for quite a bit more in terms of an extension to get them beefy big boy boots under'neath. Rats!

View attachment 32233

View attachment 32234

View attachment 32235

View attachment 32236

View attachment 32237
Happy Trails makes custom parts for KLR's and they make a shift lever 1" longer then stock. There are testimonials saying it works well for you guys with big boots.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I've got bigger size boots (11) so I guess that doesn't help. I'm also used to contacting the shift pedal more toward the tip of my boot's toe box, for whatever reason that's just how I taught myself. I have no issues with that on my old XL500. But I've been tinkering around with using more the inside edge of my boot with KLR to make up for the lack of clearance. It works ok. Just got to get used to it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Happy Trails makes custom parts for KLR's and they make a shift lever 1" longer then stock. There are testimonials saying it works well for you guys with big boots.
Thanks Cruiser, as I was only aware of the stock and the Tusk levers. At $44.22 plus shipping however, I will most likely stick with the stock lever, at least for now...

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
I will most likely stick with the stock lever, at least for now...
If you have a friend that is a Good welder, those oem steel gear & rear brake levers could be easily extended or re-curved.

Reactions: Torquey

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you have a friend that is a Good welder, those oem steel gear & rear brake levers could be easily extended or re-curved.
Unfortunately, I do not, PD. Yet, one wonders why the levers are shaped the way they are. For me the brake lever is excellent. However, the implementation of the shift lever is a real head scratcher unless the design engineer were a ballerina...

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
However, the implementation of the shift lever is a real head scratcher unless the design engineer were a ballerina...
Maybe you need to simply completely remove the mounting bolt from the shift lever, slide the lever off the shaft and rotate it UP One Spline, then reinstall the bolt?
That can make a world of difference!

Better to be a little high and too short, than too low & too short.

·
Registered
klr 650 c
213 Posts
Like Pdwestman said, lift it up a spline or take the oem lever to car body mechanic when he has time (they need to weld some very thin sheet metal for a living, this will be a no brainer to him), bet he can extend the lever and respray it in 30 minutes, and bend it a bit for a better fit.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
For my Gen-1 Barbie Bike, I added the JNS lowering brackets for the foot pegs and that picked up about 1-1.25 inches on the shift/brake pedals. Rumor has it that there is a similar solution for the Gen-3 bikes. About $100 for the pair, but solid kit, and JNS has been a committed supporter of KLRs and other dualsport scooters.

·
Registered
26 Posts

View attachment 32233

View attachment 32234

View attachment 32235

View attachment 32236

View attachment 32237
Go with a Happy Trail extended one. I wear a 15 EEEEEE boot...it gave me plenty of room even with my Wellington steel toe work boots!! Send that thing back!! I did a video on my Youtube channel, "Big Beautiful Traveling" on swapping it out.

Have a great day!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got the Happy Trails Shifter (1" longer) and the JNS lowering mounts for the pegs, great combo!! Tusk Pegs which are much better than stock. The only issue with the JNS Lowering mounts is that when riding off road, I sometimes hit rocks with by boots, I've been over 12,000 miles with that setup and highly recommend it! Add a seat concepts XL Seat and a Madstad windshield and I don't think you can find a more comfortable Adventure Bike in this size.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go with a Happy Trail extended one. I wear a 15 EEEEEE boot...it gave me plenty of room even with my Wellington steel toe work boots!! Send that thing back!! I did a video on my Youtube channel, "Big Beautiful Traveling" on swapping it out.

Have a great day!!
What boot are you using? I need the same.

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
I've got the Happy Trails Shifter (1" longer) and the JNS lowering mounts for the pegs, great combo!! Tusk Pegs which are much better than stock. The only issue with the JNS Lowering mounts is that when riding off road, I sometimes hit rocks with by boots, I've been over 12,000 miles with that setup and highly recommend it! Add a seat concepts XL Seat and a Madstad windshield and I don't think you can find a more comfortable Adventure Bike in this size.
The JNS mounts plus my IMS pegs don't stick down much lower than the stock setup due to the pegs being much thinner......I mean, sure, I hit rocks, stumps and logs sometimes but I did that before too. Even with the JNS mounts, the pegs are far from being the lowest point. Just pointing that out for any on the fence. I highly recommend the JNS brackets too - much better ergos

Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts