Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this look like the right size difference between stock and twin air? It does not fit in the airbox very well but the seller says that it is correct. Part #151109

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Just make sure you use their oils on it or it will disintergrate from the ones posted up in the past....just saying, If it were my bike, I'd resell it and buy a UNI...sorry buddy....Just my opinion is all.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like it or not I just want to know if this is the right filter. I'm going to say that it is not. The air box is 4.5" deep and the filter is 6.25" dia. It just physically does not fit without mashing it in there.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
No, it's the wrong filter; it should be the same size as stock as it needs to use the stock filter cage. Twin Air makes a good filter; I have one in one of my KLR's and a Uni in the other....they are identical in size to each other and the stocker.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
I actually think the twin air is just as good a filter as the uni. I've used dozens of them in my KTM's and other bikes and always had good luck with them. Of course, you need to have the right filter for the bike though! LOL.

YMMV

Dave

·
Registered
335 Posts
That's definitely the wrong filter. It is designed for klx models and 93-96 klx650r. In fact twin air filters advertise that they are slightly smaller than stock to maximize the air in the chamber. Type that part number in Dennis Kirk and u will get the bikes it fits.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks y'all. Now just gotta deal with the amazon seller.
In the past I've always gotten really fast results when doing a seller review on amazon. I've done product reviews and emails with sellers with little results. Do a seller review if they won't work with you and you will usually get instant results.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Does this look like the right size difference between stock and twin air? It does not fit in the airbox very well but the seller says that it is correct. Part #151109

Definitely an incorrect filter.

The reason that I am actually even posting is, I need to ask you Vinnie, why isn't the White Plastic Frame tucked completely into the stock air filter? IT Is Supposed to Be!
The white plastic frame clamps the foam flange to the air box for a 100% 'dirt-tight' seal. If the foam is just 'floating' around the perimeter of the plastic frame, dirt can sneak under it, inspite of the use of grease.
It looks like the interior of the white plastic frame is kind of discolored or dirty. It shouldn't be!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
That is the exact reason and way I destroyed my first 685 kit!!!! I was too lazy while riding the Trans-Lab highway a few years back, just couldn't be bothered checking the filter which was new and freshly oiled and to top it off I had a second new freshly oiled filter in my boxes!!! I just never thought it would be so dirty so soon, the foam had lifted from under the cage due to all the vibrations etc I guess and allowed dust and grime to pass the filter and score the walls on my bore. The only reason the 685 died! It was a very expensive lesson to always check everything after every day's ride when doing long adventure rides. No matter how tired you are at the end of the day.:fiddler:

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Good post, Paul; I assumed he pulled the cage out when he took the filter off but we all know about ASSuMEing things!

If the filter bolt is properly tightened down, and the filter is in the right place then it shouldn't be able to free itself, nor should any unfiltered air be allowed past the filter (not counting the clean side drain which is another issue). I use grease on the lip just to make 100% sure that the seal is made.

Bottom line is that the filter the OP bought is clearly the wrong one and the right one needs to fit the stock filter cage perfectly. Oil it with filter oil properly - full coverage but not over-oiled and grease the lip if you like. Install, tighten the nut and make sure it's seated properly.
The only filter that doesn't use the cage is a K&N and those suck anyway.

Dave

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FYI, I'm getting a new filter cuz the old one is bad. I have not had this bike long and should have inspected everything at purchase but did not. I'm correcting my errors.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
----------- it should be the same size as stock as it needs to use the stock filter cage. Twin Air makes a good filter; I have one in one of my KLR's and a Uni in the other....they are identical in size to each other and the stocker.

Dave
I'd like to ask,
Am I the Only One that is "put-off" by the Fact that most After-Market Foam KLR 650 air filters have TOO Small of oval hole around the base of the plastic frame? Why do we need an Extra 3/8th to 1/2 an inch of base plate foam?

Compare the amount of foam 'hanging-out' into the air stream, around the Inner Perimeter of the plastic frame, thus restricting air flow into the carb, compared to an OEM foam filter!

I personally insert the plastic cage/frame into the New Foam, and then using a ball point pen draw a line around the base plate foam. Then I use a razor knife to cut-out the excess foam!!!

Maybe I am just overly 'obsessive' about the small details!

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
I'd like to ask,
Am I the Only One that is "put-off" by the Fact that most After-Market Foam KLR 650 air filters have TOO Small of oval hole around the base of the plastic frame? Why do we need an Extra 3/8th to 1/2 an inch of base plate foam?

Compare the amount of foam 'hanging-out' into the air stream, around the Inner Perimeter of the plastic frame, thus restricting air flow into the carb, compared to an OEM foam filter!

I personally insert the plastic cage/frame into the New Foam, and then using a ball point pen draw a line around the base plate foam. Then I use a razor knife to cut-out the excess foam!!!

Maybe I am just overly 'obsessive' about the small details!
Maybe!......j/k I can't honestly say I've noticed a huge difference but I'll check next time I clean filters. Is the opening smaller than the screened opening in the airbox? If so, you may be on to something....

Cheers,
Dave

1 - 20 of 92 Posts