Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has expressed an interest in doing some touring next summer... I wonder if the KLR would be up to the task, or would I be better off getting something like a Wing for the comfort/safety factor?

I did a quick search on here for people who two up tour with the KLR but I couldn't really find anything. Opinions?

·
Registered
94 Posts
How big is your son? My son and I did a tour through Yellowstone and it was fun, but he was only 11 at the time.

·
Registered
452 Posts
my daughter is 15 and 150 lbs and i went up to top of pikes peak with her and she didnt have to push me once !

ive traveled with my wife few times now she is a honest 160 lbs and 5'9 while i dont like that weight on dirt roads ive done lots of hard pack with her on back .. suspension out back is stock so it bottoms out easily but its doable .

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's doable, but uncofortable. I'm 185#, my wife is 170ish. It feels like a overloaded pickup truck. Everytime I ride with her, I find myself wishing for a bigger bike, otherwise I love my KLR.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think my 09 owners manual states total weight of passengers and cargo not to excede 400 lbs.Wife and I beat that real easy.Would not be fun on a trip.

Thats why we have a Gold Wing too.

Farmer

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My son is 11 and probably weighs around 85 pounds, I'm up around 200. So I guess weight wise we would be fine. I'm not thinking of really long trips, probably around 4 or 5 hours in the saddle tops for maybe a few days with stops every hour or so to stretch.

Guess maybe we just need to take a few longer trips on the KLR and see how it does :).

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I've done some two up with my wife on the KLR. As you know I now own a Goldwing too. Neither one of us was comfortable although the KLR handled it quite well, even rode on gravel.

For your situation with your son your plan will be fine. It's important to remember to get off of the bike. The KLR's large fuel tank can keep you sitting too long.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
IMHO....you should be fine except for the rear suspension being at it's limits if it is a stock spring. I ride around the area where we live with my daughter some times, she's 17 next month and is in the 115lb range I think. 5'6" I think again....what do I know...lol...?
I don't like siting too close to the tank when I'm used to being able to use 3/4's of the seat normally, so that is a bit of issue. But with a 7.4kg spring added to my shock the KLR handles the weight fine. We don't pack luggage on either so don't know about that either.

It all comes down to if you are comfortable with sitting closer to the tank or not and if the rear shock can handle the weight. Remember the stock bike was designed to carry a fly at 165lbs....totally rediculous!!!.......:13:

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I do recall kind of getting squished into the tank when I take my son out on the KLR. Not a super pleasant feeling! Would a Strom or something be better suited to two up touring? I want the experience to be fun and not simply tolerable as my son is not a big bike guy and I don't want to turn him off of them. I've got all winter to plan and shop anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If my wife would ride with me, I would be in the market for the 650 Strom in a heartbeat......which possibly could mean the end of my love affair with the KLR. Maybe.....I do love my KLR....but the Strom is a perfect two up machine for sure!......:13:

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm... I think I'll have to do some homework :). I was thinking Wing initially but I'm also looking at other options. The wings are big $$$! Unless I was to pick up an old one but then the reliability might not be there. Lol, give me something to do this winter!

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Hmmm... I think I'll have to do some homework :). I was thinking Wing initially but I'm also looking at other options. The wings are big $$$! Unless I was to pick up an old one but then the reliability might not be there. Lol, give me something to do this winter!
Basically two up riding can be done on just about any street bike. It just depends on your tolerance for discomfort. The size of the people on the bike has a lot to do with it and just how far you want to travel. If you are just doing short local jaunts then a smaller bike may fit the bill. If you are thinking of motorcycle touring, to me that's a whole different world.

When my wife expressed an interest in joining me on the bike I immediately set out to look for a bike designed with two up riding in mind. I settled on a used Goldwing and will never regret that. We have done 800 km. days, and although we don't enjoy riding that much in a day, it is possible.

As to you questioning Goldwing reliability. If you are considering a 1500 or an 1800, a bike that has been looked after will not let you down. I know folks with over 300k miles on a 1500 and they are still going strong.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Basically two up riding can be done on just about any street bike. It just depends on your tolerance for discomfort. The size of the people on the bike has a lot to do with it and just how far you want to travel. If you are just doing short local jaunts then a smaller bike may fit the bill. If you are thinking of motorcycle touring, to me that's a whole different world.

When my wife expressed an interest in joining me on the bike I immediately set out to look for a bike designed with two up riding in mind. I settled on a used Goldwing and will never regret that. We have done 800 km. days, and although we don't enjoy riding that much in a day, it is possible.

As to you questioning Goldwing reliability. If you are considering a 1500 or an 1800, a bike that has been looked after will not let you down. I know folks with over 300k miles on a 1500 and they are still going strong.
Very true, and for the riding we do, the KLR will likely be more than sufficient. At most I'm thinking of trips of no more than a few days and probably with hotels vs camping so we wouldn't have as much gear to pack. Lol, guess I should really wait until we get a few longer trips in to see if he even likes it before I rush out and buy another bike... Still, gives me something to dream about over the long cold winter!

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol, I probably will just end up using the KLR for it :). I wasn't planning on getting rid of it anyway, maybe just adding another bike to it ;)

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
When my wife expressed an interest in joining me on the bike I immediately set out to look for a bike designed with two up riding in mind.
By the time mine did, I'd already removed my rear pegs as soon as I got it home from the dealer and before she got home from work and told her it didn't come with any and told her it "was designed for a single rider." No passengers for me.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
When my wife expressed an interest in joining me on the bike I immediately set out to look for a bike designed with two up riding in mind.
Notice the IMMEDIATELY. Never pass up the opportunity to add a bike to the garage.

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
Notice the IMMEDIATELY. Never pass up the opportunity to add a bike to the garage.
Ah, obviously wiser than I. Instead of getting another motorcycle that we (meaning, I) could also ride, I wind up getting the wife an ATV (she preferred one over learning to ride a motorcycle) and have to ride around on gravel roads at 35mph following her. Lesson learned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts