Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between motorcycle coolant vs. Auto antifreeze ??thanks in advance oh learned ones'!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
There's a difference? Thought they were the same myself. Just unfortunate that most dealers slap the word "motorcycle" on a bottle and double the price. Figure if a radiator can work filled with piss in a pinch, coolant is coolant. Running a 50/50 premixed coolant from my local shell station in my bike for the past 5000miles, no problems.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
19 Posts
Primary difference is motorcycle coolant is aluminum safe and blue. I think that nowadays the blue is the only real difference as I suspect most coolant nowadays is aluminum safe

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
529 Posts
This won't relate to a KLR ( which I'm sure has no magnesium on it) , but my older KTM's used to suffer from a condition we used to call water worms if you didn't use the appropriate coolant/ distilled water. Basically, the improper coolant mixture would cause erosion in the magnesium that looked like worms when it would etch away the metal.

Again, doesn't relate to a KLR, but not all motorcycle engines are created equal.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've been topping my bikes off with prestone 50/50 over the years. Safe for aluminum engines. Always seems like I take delivery of a bike with a low coolant level.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know this is an old thread.

There are many different types of coolant. A lot has to do with metal and gasket compatibility. Aluminum radiators required different coolant than brass radiators.

The older Gen-1 KLRs can use almost anything. I do not know about the newer KLRs

·
Registered
623 Posts
Old thread sorry. Was browsing the forum and this thread reminded me.

I lost some coolant when I had to pull the radiator on my '16 650 that has factory coolant and need to put some in the reservoir. Can I mix with any alum safe 50/50?

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Out of curiosity what does it say in your owner's manual Dan?
JJ

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have about the right amount needed of left over Dexcool 50/50. Okay to put that in?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've got a Toyota, and the wife a Lexus so I always keep some late model Toyota coolant around. Just installed a Thermo-Bob kit and flushed out the system and filled it with that stuff.
All the newer coolant is aluminum safe anymore.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have about the right amount needed of left over Dexcool 50/50. Okay to put that in?
Without researching this topic, I was always under the impression "Dexcool" was only supposed to be used in engines requiring "Dexcool" and not to be mixed with regular antifreeze. Again, I didn't research this. I saw your post and immedietely typed this.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Without researching this topic, I was always under the impression "Dexcool" was only supposed to be used in engines requiring "Dexcool" and not to be mixed with regular antifreeze. Again, I didn't research this. I saw your post and immedietely typed this.
I've read the same.

Rather than take any chance since the bike is under a 2 year warranty, I used picking up a quart of the green gold from kaw dealer an excuse for a ride.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not that the KLR would require one of the “ special” coolant types ,probably can use the common green stuff-don’t really know- but- there is “Oat” organic acid Technology, then “Hoat” a hybrid organic acid Technology and “ Iat” Inorganic acid technology coolant that auto AND some MC makers use. Matching color doesn’t always mean it’s correct. Mixing can create a jello type result in some. There are probably (5) variations, many because of their specific additives, with or without silica, not just because of aluminum components, but pump seals, even gasket type. PITA right?. Some manufactures state you MUST flush old coolant out because even the newer replacement may no be 100% compatible with their older ( samebrand) product- great. Huh ?. So it costs more but I just buy from the dealer and then complain or whine about it for a while ( sometimes this helps). Geeeez...

·
Registered
97 Posts

Correct !, price. I had a Vespa 300 that used the special tourist inflated price coolant. Learned from other Vespa owners that conventional coolant had couagulated in their system. The times are a changing-along with chemicals. It looks like Polaris uses the common ( green stuff), that has been around forever.
If in doubt, google the MSDS sheet for whoever’s coolant, and compare ingredients. That is what I do anymore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts