Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The mfg. states the front tire as 90/90/21. So 90 mm equates to 3.54”. What overall widths are most of your front tires, like if you cut a u- shape out of cardboard, or bent a stiff wire, then measured. ( unless of course you have a big set of calipers ). I’m hoping the homemade chock I made with (3.5”) wide slot will work, and hold the front tire snug, so I can stick/roll it in and it will hold the bike upright untill I get the tie downs on. I have built an adjustable width chock, but it went with the trailer I built when I sold it. It was real handy setting it snug enough to push the front tire/wheel into and it would just stand there. Just easier IMO. If the tires in general are much wider than 3.5”, I can ( but not very easily) move the sides/ends out some. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While looking through tire sale sites I see nothing wider than 90 x90 x 21, and have seen 80 x 90 x 21, (smaller width) I guess I’m safe on my newly made chock @3.5”, just a hair under 90 mm. At 88.9mm. I should be able to just shove the larger tire in. ( I hope. Maybe take a can of silicon spray with me).

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Let's see that chock!

Scroll down to, "Motorcycle Tire Sizes and Width's," accessible from this link (dimensions only precise to two decimal places):

Motorcycle Tire Size and Width Chart

Regardless, when you take delivery of your KLR650; worst cases: Chock too tight, DEFLATE THE TIRE. Too great a clearance for your taste? SHIM UP the space between chock and tire sidewall.

Store-bought chocks I have known have TAPERED ends (as in, V-shaped, or U-shaped, to some extent); push the bike to the limit, and the chock end narrows to grasp the tire firmly.

As previously mentioned, dimensions in motorcycle transport remain less critical than those involved in space-shuttle docking. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts