Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 KLR650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - 2004 which has sat outside under a tree for the past six years (very little rust which is a shock) - clutch cable appears to work but I cannot get bike to engage first gear (down on the toe shifter) or any other gear (up on the toe shifter). Previous owner had clutch parts handed over with the bike but they were the old plates as he replaced them prior to parking the bike so he claims the clutch should be in good shape.
I am guessing that I will need to change the engine oil and circulate it to possibly get the clutch to engage so the shifter will start engaging gears? Oil level indicator window currently shows empty….

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
What does the current engine oil look like? Have anything other that oil, like water, milky-oil-water mix, rusty soup?
I'm assuming the bike still has the chain and rear wheel attached.

Try this:
With the rear wheel lifted off the ground, try working the shifter down for first while gently rocking the rear tire forward and back.
Does is seem to move into gear at all?

Try the same but try up-shifting into higher gear.
Does is seem to move into gear at all?

After sitting and not moving, out in the weather, I'd suspect that some internals in both the clutch and transmission have rusted together. But often, you can get lucky and gently coax things back into the proper rotating place. You may need to change out the engine oil and replace it with a serious penetrating oil -preferably a topline product like Kano Aerokroi or Deep Creep.

Sequence would be
1) drain the engine oil,
2) fill as much as possible with Aerokroi,
3) then try working the shifter while gently bumping the rear wheel back/forth.
4) wait 24 hours and go back to step 3 (do this for a week or so)

Otherwise, it's time to start planning on removing the right side covers and inspecting the operations (waterpump cover, waterpump impeller, clutch cover)
If you go down this path - take lots of pics so we can help with guidance.

Gotta be honest -Ive never seen a KLR locked into gear and unable to change gears.
Totally slipping clutch, yes.
No clutch contact, yes.
Broken shifter shaft, yes.
These were relatively easy repairs. Lets see how yours goes.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Comparison vid for penetrating oils here:
(different use case but some data at least)

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts
I'll ask if you are attempting to shift a non-turning /non-running engine?

With the rear wheel elevated and rolling or simply rocking the bike forward & backwards on the ground, does the gear pedal move against spring resistance & then make a distinct 'click' and then return to center when released?

·
Registered
2004 KLR650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike is not running and as I attempt to engage the gear selector (either up or down with the clutch in) I do not feel it click into gear at all.

·
Registered
2004 KLR650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry didn’t answer completely based on your question: the gear selector does return to center after I attempt to use the toe shifter.

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts
Did you not roll the rear wheel forward & backwards as you attempted to shift? If the dogs & the slots in the respective gears are not allowed to align, they will NOT shift in. The transmission needs to have some motion to allow alignment.

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts

·
Registered
2004 KLR650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So prior to changing the oil earlier this morning I have a few decent whacks with a rubber mallet to the engine cover and the bike goes in and out of gear now without issue.
The oil came out looking like brown muddy death and the last bit of has in the tank looked like varnish. Will be flushing antifreeze and brake fluid later today as well.
A journey of a thousand steps….

1 - 13 of 13 Posts