Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made note of the fact in another thread that "Larry The Cable Guy" was from Nebraska and attended the University of Nebraska for three years before dropping out to pursue comedy.

Notable alumni of the University of Nebraska include: Willa Cather, John J. Pershing, Warren Buffet, Johnny Carson and Gerry Thomas, inventor of the 3-compartment aluminum TV dinner tray.

Here's a shot of the University Of Nebraska is it looks today:

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another esteemed institution of higher learning West of the Mississippi is the University of Missouri. Some more famous alumni from this university include: Tom Berenger, Sheryl Crow, Brad Pitt, Sam Walton, Kate Capshaw and George C. Scott.

The University Of Missouri as it looks today:

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Trying hard not to be insulted as an alumni.. but just too funny. :D
As an alumnus, you're unfamiliar with Willa Cather's classic novel?

Or even with Willa Cather?

No insult to be assoicated with that great American writer, IMHO; rather, an honor.

I won't even quiz you on O Pioneers! :)

What was your major of concentration, may I ask?

I know; I know; "But look at our FOOTBALL program!" :)

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trying hard not to be insulted as an alumni.. but just too funny. :D
Yeah, I knew some of you guys were from Nebraska (wrenrj1 still around?) so thought I'd also include a dig on the very place that was undiscerning enough to give me a diploma a long time ago. Apparently back in the mid-80's academic standards weren't as high as they are these days. I think they finally awarded it just to get rid of me........

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was music then comp sci major (then dropped out) so I guess not "technically" alumni. At least as much as Larry the cable guy is. Actually a good pal of mine who is a hot tub installer was just installing a hot tub for Larry himself in January, as the story goes. I haven't talked with him lately to hear how the install actually went though!

You're right the major focus upon the entire school though is "what can we add next onto our stadium?"

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right the major focus upon the entire school though is "what can we add next onto our stadium?"
Well, based on this current photo of Husker Stadium, I can see why they would want to improve on it.

Seriously, even though Nebraska had an overall 65-36 record against Missouri, it pissed me off when Missouri moved to the SEC and thus would no longer play against Nebraska. The two schools started playing each other in 1892. What a tradition to lose.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
... just installing a hot tub for Larry himself in January, as the story goes. ...
I hear that's all the rage now in Nebraska. It's the Cornhusker version of a bass pond that's don't freeze over in the winter and them bubbles keep the fish alive so's you can ketch over and over and over. That way you only need three.

T

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When they were first introduced there, the hot tub places had a lot of trouble with clogged pump screens because the Nebraskans thought they were toilets.......

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Do you have any digs on KU? :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well... I'm not a native Nebraskan. So I guess I'll stay quiet... you may continue talking amongst yerselves. Go Jackrabbits!

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today at Nebraska's Spring Football Game, a 7-year-old boy with brain cancer was given the ball for one play. I give the Huskers their due: this is cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts