Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several days ago I reported that my grandson had a science (oops) physics project using just a deck of cards and glue, build a structure to see how much weight it would hold. Well, the results are in and it collapsed at 860 lbs. A school record- at least for this year. That's $860 to him per verbal contract from me. YIKES!! It got me to thinking that we hear so much negativity about our youth these days, that it would be good to hear positive for a change. This may not be the forum and if so, please disregard. However if this is of interest, tell us about your son's and daughter's, grandson's and granddaughter's, nieces and nephews, friends and relatives youths all, their usual and unusual positive behavior and exploits.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Imagine what he could engineer a KLR to hold for cargo?
Better get him designing a custome shock for you.........

Congrats!!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
That's very cool! I would never have guessed a deck of cards could hold so much.:WellDone:
Regards....justjeff

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Good deal! Nice to see such an achievement and an acknowledgement that, no matter what you constantly hear about today's youth being unsavory, the vast majority of them are, in fact, quite good kids and far more intelligent than we were at their age. Me, at least, for sure......

I had to laugh because the first thing I thought of when I heard your verbal contract would be my parents saying, "I don't care what kind of deal he made with you. You are NOT taking that money!"

Oh well, grandparents trump parents, eh? You are to be commended for showing such interest and pride in his achievements. Well done, both of you!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good deal! Nice to see such an achievement and an acknowledgement that, no matter what you constantly hear about today's youth being unsavory, the vast majority of them are, in fact, quite good kids and far more intelligent than we were at their age. Me, at least, for sure......

I had to laugh because the first thing I thought of when I heard your verbal contract would be my parents saying, "I don't care what kind of deal he made with you. You are NOT taking that money!"

Oh well, grandparents trump parents, eh? You are to be commended for showing such interest and pride in his achievements. Well done, both of you!
You are kind to say such nice things....your parents sound like "old school" parenting. The reason you end up with gracious fellows like yourself.

·
Registered
763 Posts
:icon_worthless:

I would really like to see this design.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Wow that's awesome. That took some time and effort. Those will be lifetime memories. You must be very proud!
Regards....justjeff

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Wow that's awesome. That took some time and effort. Those will be lifetime memories. You must be very proud!
Regards....justjeff[/QU

For sure we are. graduating from highschool and have NEVER heard a curse word from him. YEA-double proud! Sure as %&*$# didn't get it from me.
Ha!

Congrats to you and your grandson. I have two little girls (4 and 9 mos). They are sweet and kind. Very polite. A new restaurant opened near us and I went to introduce myself. Francine (4) was with me. He gave us some soup and we talked. As soon as we left my girl said:

'Dadda, we should go home and make a thank you card for that man.'

Um, yeah. That's what I was about to say. :ashamed0005:

Needless to say, I was pretty proud. My 9 mo, Luella, started walking two days ago, too. :)

I have to agree with Planalp. I worked with at risk HS kids. The vast majority of the kids I interacted with were sweethearts. About the only rude kids I encounter come from super rich/super poor households where there is little adult supervision. Most kids'll be nice if you give them the chance.

And in general. They spend more time inside than I did (video games). But I see a lot fewer kids smoking cigs than I did when I was a 13 year old smoker. All the kids who live near me are polite and considerate around my girls.

I always figure that people who 'hate teenagers' don't spend a hell of a lot of time with them. Ah, soapboxing....sorry.

Tell your grandson that some dude on a MC he doesn't know is impressed. And would like to borrow some money. ;)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Can he make me a bike lift out of cards? ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can he make me a bike lift out of cards? ;)
Anything is possible, er----nein! But I'll ask him anyway. :58:
Sweet little Francine is the product of some mighty fine parenting! It IS about the parenting and the company that we keep. Love to hear those reports, especially about the restaurant manners. If I witness polite kids in restaurants I make it a point to congratulate the parents and kids on behavior. Some day hopefully there will be both behaviors in close proximity and I'll get a chance to voice congrats at the one table for all to hear. :pot:---9 mo. old walking---great stuff! :sign0191:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Anything is possible, er----nein! But I'll ask him anyway. :58:
Sweet little Francine is the product of some mighty fine parenting! It IS about the parenting and the company that we keep. Love to hear those reports, especially about the restaurant manners. If I witness polite kids in restaurants I make it a point to congratulate the parents and kids on behavior. Some day hopefully there will be both behaviors in close proximity and I'll get a chance to voice congrats at the one table for all to hear. :pot:---9 mo. old walking---great stuff! :sign0191:
Thanks man. When I told my wife we figured we can't be screwing up too bad. I don't think I knew was a thank you note was when I was 4. And yeah, both girls started walking at 9 mos. I always make a point to reinforce good behavior with my girls and all the kids around town. :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
WOW!!!!
Now that's some design, and a huge acomplishment for some fine students.
Thanks for the pictures, I would have never imagined that type of structure.
:desismiley1:

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
I was wondering what the design was going to be. Amazing that could hold that much weight before it collapsed. That's a cool project.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts