Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Clutch plates experience adhesion sometimes when first starting, after sitting in a bath of oil, despite the compression of the cutch springs. An inevitable characteristic of a "wet" clutch, I fear.

The adhesion is a function of the properties of the motor oil, not clutch spring compression, IMHO.

A "heavier" clutch lever's of no particular disadvantage, except in heavy stop-and-go traffic, or riding in a parade, when hand fatigue becomes an issue.

Yet, the KLR clutch as-built is rather robust. Unless I experienced clutch slippage (from all the magnificent power-enhancing mods I performed on the engine, like installing the vaunted PCV valve mod), I would not replace stock clutch aprings of service-specification free length with stiffer ones. YMMV; won't hurt anything to upgrade the springs, if the clutch basket will take the additional pressure. (Your left hand may not thank you, after a few miles of stop-and-go on the Interstate, however!)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay then, thank you for the information. I guess I prefer the wet clutch slip durability over its adhesive properties when cold. Maybe a thinner oil for the winter could be considered. Anyway, I think I'll forget it for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts