Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the site. I recently purchased my 1st KLR650. She's an '05 w/2,601 miles on her. I plan on riding extensively throughout back country roads and logging roads in Northern Canada. What are the better option's for upgrading the stock seat??? I'm 6'2" at 226lbs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have the corbin flat with 23,000 miles on it.Much better than stock.Have done a 500 and 600 mile day with no regrets.It will let you stand up and move around with no problems. I'm 6'2" @ 250lbs:( Wouldn't trade it for the world.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Another option is the Travelcade Gel seat from Dual Star. Although I've never had any issues with Dual Star, some here are having some bad customer service issues with them, similar to the terrible customer service I've received from Corbin..

I will never, ever again use a Corbin product..

There's also cheap ways (ATV seat cover sold at Walmart, if you can find them) and also you can alway go the less cheap route and have Russell or some of the other aftermarket seat manufactures make you a custom seat. You'll only regret the amount you spend on a custom seat until the first time you sit on it.. Then you'll just smile and be glad you did it.. (Corbin is NOT a custom seat manufacturer)

I'm sure there'll be other suggestions. If you want to go the really cheap route, I have a few spare ATV seat covers from Walmart and can get you one to your door for $20. At that, I'm not making a dime on them, either.. I just have 3-4 extras.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't know what a stock seat is like but I can't see how it could be worse than the Travelcade gel that came on my bike.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I don't know what a stock seat is like but I can't see how it could be worse than the Travelcade gel that came on my bike.

Stock is 100 X worse than the Travelcade. Now.. Which Travelcade?? The early ones had no padding between the gel and the seat cover, which I'm told makes you feel like you're sitting on a loaded diaper.. :)

The later version (as mine is) has foam between the cover and the Gel.. I have no complaints, and I'm usually very quick to hate a bad seat. Stock seat on my bike got 20 miles before I was deciding what I was going to replace it with. I was going to go cheap (Travelcade) and if I didn't like it, I was going to go Russell. The Travelcade's still on there 3 years later, and I have no intention of changing it due to it's comfort..

We are all different, though..

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
With the older version, I'm told that on top of the loaded diaper feel, the gel pad hardens with age, making it feel even worse than it did when new.

I dunno if I got lucky with mine or what, but my seat's still soft (not stock soft) and the gel isn't really noticable.

I don't know when they changed the design, though..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Actually Corbin is a custom seat maker, if you show up at there place they can take measurements and make one for you as you wait, ya need to let them know when you are going to be there so they can schedule you in...

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Actually Corbin is a custom seat maker, if you show up at there place they can take measurements and make one for you as you wait, ya need to let them know when you are going to be there so they can schedule you in...

By the way, I'm not "telling stories"... When my Corbin seat was ordered, they charged my card right away (ordered directly from Corbin) and I didn't see my seat for almost 4 months, even though it was a stock seat and ordered in November. I called after 6 weeks and was told it would be right out.. I was told that 5 times in the next few months, and I don't think December to March would be considered the busy season.

When it arrived it fit like absolute crap and within a month of regular use, the stitching was falling apart. Corbin wanted over $100 to repair a basically brand new seat. When I complained, Mike Corbin's brother (sales manager or something) sent me a letter back telling me "tough crap"..

That's not a "story".. It's the absolute truth. I know of several other people who've had similar situations with Corbin over the years. For some reason, if you show up at one of the stores, it's wonderful and you're treated great. On the other hand, I know dozens of other people who've mail ordered and were treated lower than dirt.

I'll spend my money elsewhere, and I refuse to recommend them to anyone. I have more respect for my fellow motorcyclists than recommend any company that treats customers like that..

That's my "story"...

·
Registered
95 Posts
You said they do not make custom seats, as a matter of fact they do, thats where you were tellin stories, I have read your post on how shitty they did you on your seat, I do not blame you for the way you feel towards them, but sayin they do not make custom seats when in fact they do is a lie,that was my only point, and as you saw I edited my first comments I thought fast enough to not be seen, my bad,...

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
You said they do not make custom seats, as a matter of fact they do, thats where you were tellin stories, I have read your post on how shitty they did you on your seat, I do not blame you for the way you feel towards them, but sayin they do not make custom seats when in fact they do is a lie,that was my only point, and as you saw I edited my first comments I thought fast enough to not be seen, my bad,...
OK..
Custom, yes. Seats, no.. Crap service, yes...

I have no desire to argue with you on it. It's just that I can't in good faith, watch someone here get screwed by Corbin with crap product and customer service. Sorry.. If Corbin as a company failed tomorrow, I'd be the first to post a cheer.. I hate Corbin that much, due to the terrible customer service. I gave them a chance to make it right and they threw it back in my face. Screw em'..

Now, if Eagle Manufacturing failed tomorrow, I'd take a week of vacation and go out and help Mike for free.. That's how fantastic his customer service is. I'd do the same for New Enough Leathers, too.. The companies that go the extra mile for customer service get not only regular business from me, but also my full recommendation anytime I can offer it.

I used to be pretty happy with Dual-Star, but I haven't ordered anything from them in a while, and from what I'm hearing on a regular basis from posters here, I'm gonna have to think hard before ordering from them again.

KLR650.com has been great to me, and I'm hoping that Mr. Bill Decker gets his KLRStuff business going soon because of his being absolutely true to his word, and with some fantastic products, too.:)

Oh, and when you're subscribed to threads, you're sent the first copy that's posted. :) The original poster can edit all he wants, but what's clicked as the original post is what's sent out via email to all who are subscribed to that post.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just read your "post" on Corbin seats, thanks for the info, won't even try. If you have a harely, stay away from JP Cycles. Bought a Primo Belt drive for mine, $800.00 plus, had major problems, called JP they even told me to shim my transmission, how they never mentioned. Wanted to send it back and they told me if it was on the bike they wouldn't take it back, I asked how was a person supposed to know if it was bad until they put it on, no answer, and no more business from me, I had spent over $2000.00 there and was in the process of spending that much more. You're right about Eagle Mike and chwnd is a little rough witht he word "lie" error would have been better, but look what is behind him.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Isn't JP in Anamosa, IA? I've been by the place a ton of times but never stopped in.

I'v heard the same as you when it comes to service there, but the bigger they get, the worse they get..:mad0235:

I walked into my local Home Depot to buy metric taps to chase some threads.. They thought I was speaking some Martian language as they tried to sell me 1 1/4" pipe taps.. :18:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
What about those air hawks or whatever they are called? Are they any good, I have one friend who rides an old shovel harley and he swears by it.
I know people who swear by them too. I had one and I just didn't like the feeling of the air moving around under me. It can go from chamber to chamber. I didn't give it much of a chance though. It came with a used bike I purchased, so I just sold it on eBay.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Coming soon...

My new Renazco custom seat. Just dropped off the stocker today. AND talk about customer service... He did not like the way the cover turned out, (it was a couple of mm's off),so he threw it away and made a new one customized for my wife, and I. I will show before, and after pics next week. I really like how he does business so far!

www.renazco.com

Take care,

MB4

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Well...

Here it is!

Took it for a ride today, man, it was nice!

MB4

1 - 20 of 34 Posts