Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a upper dash that doesn’t require a windshield kit, I have the lower dash and it’s full, I need an a upper to put a ram ball for my gps. I’ve looked everywhere so I may have to fab one unless someone knows where I can get a pretty one! 2008+

·
Registered
105 Posts
There's a copy of the KLR rally dash being sold for $68 on Amazon.
Looks the same as the one I paid $175 for.
You could just use the upper dash part and not use the windshield riser.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that, but it looks like you would have to trim it down to clear shield if you don’t use the shield spacer to get the shield away from the bracket. It probably still would be worth the $68 since you would get the spacer and longer bolts to mount it. Thanks for the advice I may just go that way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone tried out the $68 eBay rally dash? I have been hesitant to buy it as I wonder how thick the material is (and if there is consequently too much wobble). I would love to hear about anybody's experiences with these bargain options.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There has to be someone on here that has since were all cheap bastards! (Klr owners)

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
908 Posts
Scrounge up some sheet aluminum and make yer own!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Scrounge up some sheet aluminum and make yer own!
I love the idea. I may see what I can come up with. I have an angle grinder, shears, files, and my initials are BS so I should be able to stumble my way through it. What gauge aluminum would be thick enough to keep the vibrations down while thin enough to bend without a metal brake?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
The upper dash is thick, close to a 1\4" , the bracket that holds the windshield is a lot thinner.
The curved piece that fills the area of the old windshield would be tough to hand form.
I'd buy the cheap one from Amazon, very easy to return if you don't like it.
Your time is worth money and your gonna have more than $68 in time spent.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the amazon one so we will see when it arrives, I’ll probably cut the piece down to fit since I don’t want my shield sticking out like that

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ordered the amazon one so we will see when it arrives, I’ll probably cut the piece down to fit since I don’t want my shield sticking out like that
Let us know how you like it.
I didn't like the rally style vertical windshield either at first but now I prefer it.
I only use the highways when I need to get across town quickly but having all the wind go over my head makes for a comfy, quiet ride compared to the stock windshield.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also got one from Amazon, (thanks to my family!) it’s my favorite charity next to harbor freight Lol! It’s a Xitomer Aftermarket Motorcycle Rally Dash Kit, Fit for KAWASAKI KLR650 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 KLR650 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 KLR650, and adjusts angle. 80.00 and prime shipping.

My other on was much thinner but worked until an unfortunate bike to house wall interface... it held together but was pretty bent. Destroyed windscreen n ugly mirror. Also found that anywhere the bare metal was exposed it was developing rust, and pretty much all the bolts and other bits were doin’ the same..
I think I’ll like this one much more! Dash is larger than the one that is comin’ off and I like the adjustable windscreen.

below are some pics of what it looks like, but had wee question first... I don’t know what it’s called, but it’s the thin plastic thing that covers the instrument cluster. Anyway when I had the plastic original one on, it tucked in the fairing. The first one I bought didn‘t come with one, and this one I just got has one of those covers, but metal! It’s also looks the same thickness as the other parts. BUT- here’s my question, the original tucked into fairing, but all the aftermarket ones like this one don’t tuck into the fairing but exposed. I think I’ve seen windscreens like this as well... but why are others I’ve seen serve a purpose bein’ exposed I guess? Sorry for that quick little hijack, but I’ve been dyin’ to know.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming, Doc
EA2E6416-C505-4106-BC70-40CCACC351AE.jpeg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts