Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
It is an interesting question...

One: The country is divided. VERY divided. Possibly the most divided it's been since the civil war. So the government could be preparing for uprisings / insurrections here on the home front.

Two: Even if uprisings / insurrections don't happen, the government buying up mass quantities of ammunition keeps it out of the hands of the general public...

...Anyone here tried to find 9mm ammunition recently? Or even .22 long-rifle? .223/NATO 5.56? Yeah... GOOD LUCK!!!

I TRIED to find some .22 recently. Can't find it anywhere. And while I was wandering around looking for ammo, I also was paying attention to the availability of other calibers. 9mm was definitely gone. The ammo for those "nasty, scary assault rifles" - .223 / NATO 5.56? Not a chance.

The only calibers you could find recently were the lesser-used rounds such as .38 Special, .45 Auto, .45 Colt, etc.

The common calibers were gone.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
you happen to hear of the "fema camps" i know of 5 right now that can hold 20,000 people each. sounds more like us gun owners new home possibly?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Eaaaasssssy there, boys. Let's not start donning our tin foil hats just yet.

DHS, like any other departmnent or agency (local, state, federal) requires their gun-toting employees to train often and routinely qualify with the weapons their assigned.

I am not a math whiz by any means, but I do shop at CostCo. Let's do some math:

DHS has over 200,000 employees. Of that number, a large number are gun carrying law enforcement officers (ICE, CBP, Coast Guard, OIG, Secret Servive, etc.). Let's say conservatively that 1/3 of DHS components are gun carriying officers/agents. Divide 2.1 million rounds of ammo by 66,000 employees who shoot hundreds of rounds each time they qualify with pistols/rifles/shotguns.

Then, insert my CostCo example of buying in bulk to save taxpayer funds.

There ya go.

Doesn't seem so scary after that.

Now, I'm not saying that you should trust this gov't - I certainly don't -- but let's pick our battles and not sound like we're crazy conspiracy theory wack-jobs.

Check Snopes, Thuth or Fiction or any other urban myth debunking site you trsut and see what's really going on.

I hope I've helped.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Where in the world have you been, Dan Diego? ;) Very good point. I don't trust the government either. But we need to keep cynicism controlled and in check.

DHS, like any other departmnent or agency (local, state, federal) requires their gun-toting employees to train often and routinely qualify with the weapons their assigned.

DHS has over 200,000 employees. Of that number, a large number are gun carrying law enforcement officers (ICE, CBP, Coast Guard, OIG, Secret Servive, etc.). Let's say conservatively that 1/3 of DHS components are gun carriying officers/agents. Divide 2.1 million rounds of ammo by 66,000 employees who shoot hundreds of rounds each time they qualify with pistols/rifles/shotguns.

There ya go.

Now, I'm not saying that you should trust this gov't - I certainly don't -- but let's pick our battles and not sound like we're crazy conspiracy theory wack-jobs.

Check Snopes, Thuth or Fiction or any other urban myth debunking site you trsut and see what's really going on.

I hope I've helped.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

There ya go.

I hope I've helped.

Yea 2.1 million rounds wouldn't be unusual. They've bought 1.6 billion rounds in the last 10 months. That's billion with a B.

I'm thinking that they don't practice with hollow point ammo either.

·
Registered
901 Posts

There ya go.

I hope I've helped.
Don't worry, Dan, I routinely check Snopes.com regarding stuff - and I'm not really one of those "conspiracy theorists". However, I don't trust the federal government for squat...

If you read the articles that were posted, they state that DHS has secured (over the last 10 months) 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition.

Using your numbers, 1.6 billion divided among the 66,000 employees comes out to almost 24,250 rounds per employee.

That's a lot of target practice...

During the height of active combat operations in Iraq, the military was using 5.5 million rounds per month. We had what, 100,000 soldiers in Iraq at that time? That's 55 rounds per soldier per month - and not all of those soldiers were in active combat rolls.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Don't worry, Dan, I routinely check Snopes.com regarding stuff - and I'm not really one of those "conspiracy theorists". However, I don't trust the federal government for squat...

If you read the articles that were posted, they state that DHS has secured (over the last 10 months) 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition.

Using your numbers, 1.6 billion divided among the 66,000 employees comes out to almost 24,250 rounds per employee.

That's a lot of target practice...

During the height of active combat operations in Iraq, the military was using 5.5 million rounds per month. We had what, 100,000 soldiers in Iraq at that time? That's 55 rounds per soldier per month - and not all of those soldiers were in active combat rolls.
I can tell you "they" use an awful lot of ammo. Minimum fireams qual for DHS employees is quarterly. Practice ammo is provided at that time. Instructors and special teams shoot a lot more. Starting to see how that adds up?

What's the shelf-life of ammo? Buying 3 years' worth in advance isn't a bad idea.

I gotta tell you, and I'm not sure you can grasp how bloated the US gov't is, that is not a lot of ammo.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm thinking that they don't practice with hollow point ammo either.
Think again.

The days of shooting with fake ammo/wadcutters is over.

All LE agencies that I know of practice and qualify with the same ammo they carry for duty.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can tell you "they" use an awful lot of ammo. Minimum fireams qual for DHS employees is quarterly. Practice ammo is provided at that time. Instructors and special teams shoot a lot more. Starting to see how that adds up?

What's the shelf-life of ammo? Buying 3 years' worth in advance isn't a bad idea.

I gotta tell you, and I'm not sure you can grasp how bloated the US gov't is, that is not a lot of ammo.

A billion and a half rounds in the last ten months is not a lot of ammo for one department (DHS)? Nothing to see here move along.

You work for DHS/SSA/IRS/etc. perhaps?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts