Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 klr650
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm adding a power port and wondering which seems more useful... the one i'm looking at has both usb and cig outlet and has a little cover with a clock to keep out most of the wet.... are both needed? what do you use most?

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
12V is what I use most because of my GPS. If you use a phone for that then USB. Get both or assess your needs.

Reactions: geronimo2

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,127 Posts
The problem with the cigarette outlet location is once you plug anything into it, the bars make contact and rip it out. Imho, kawasaki did a poor job of choosing the location. I'd recommend choosing a better location and forget the factory knockout spot.

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,573 Posts
I don't like cig lighter outlets. The contact for the center nipple is just a small point backed by a weak spring. In my experience these eventually rattle loose and you have to repeatedly stuff it back in to restore contact. A USB or SAE connector is more secure. That said, an awful lot of accessories come with lighter adaptor plugs because they were standard for so long. So there's that to recommend them. But I usually end up wiring an SAE connection to whatever I want to power with 12 volts, because then I can plug it directly into the SAE connector to the battery that I also use for charging during the winter.

·
Registered
478 Posts
my bike came with a cig lighter and I intended to switch it for a USB but decided to get a USB insert that goes in almost flush. I can't get the rubber door closed with it inserted but I have the option to power either format.

·
Registered
2008 klr650
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't like cig lighter outlets. The contact for the center nipple is just a small point backed by a weak spring. In my experience these eventually rattle loose and you have to repeatedly stuff it back in to restore contact. A USB or SAE connector is more secure. That said, an awful lot of accessories come with lighter adaptor plugs because they were standard for so long. So there's that to recommend them. But I usually end up wiring an SAE connection to whatever I want to power with 12 volts, because then I can plug it directly into the SAE connector to the battery that I also use for charging during the winter.
i hear what you are saying... especially with a vibrating klr, the cig lighter might almost push itself out with the spring tip!

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 Pearl Sand Khaki
79 Posts
I installed the cig lighter outlet and using a double USB adaptor in it. It works fine.
Got my order for the USB outlet on the left too, waiting for Kawasaki to have it in stock. $110 extra.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts