Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

I've seen a couple videos where people douse their inner tube with talcum powder (baby powder) as part of an inner tube or tire change.

talcum powder and windex (to lube the tire bead) make a mess together...

What do you think or what is your experience with using Talcum/Baby Powder ? Benefits ?

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
The talcum powder helps a lot actually, even more so if your tube is very slightly inflated when you put it in the tire. It keeps the tube from hanging up on the rim or tire and getting pinched, helps it to find it's natural position without getting stuck anywhere.

The lube and the talcum don't really mix all that much as the tube is already seated in the tire before you use lube. I don't use any lube until I'm ready to seat the bead with air.

Side note on Windex, I don't use it anymore. I just use soapy water. Not sure if it was the Windex I used to seat the bead last time or something else, but at my last tire change the rims were pitting/corroded and I know they were like new when I put my second last set of tires on. Maybe something in the Windex doesn't agree with aluminum? Not sure, but I won't use it again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insights!

I'll give it a go next tire change! I've been using Windex in the past couple changes, but I would imagine ammonia in Windex is probably not to good for steel...

I'll try water mixed with a little mild soap next go round, and of course the talcum test....

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
I've never tried it, but it seems like it would make things much more difficult if you didn't use talc between the inner tube and tire. I'm sure more than once it has kept me from pinching a tube with a tire iron when I stuck the iron in a little too far.

I also use soapy water in a spray bottle. I suppose some of it makes its way down between the tube and tire where the talc is, but I've never seen that it causes any problems when I take everything back apart.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yep, I have a btl of baby powder and soapy water in the garage just for that. Works great!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Defintely helps!! I just changed both my tires this weekend and don't normally use baby powder on the tubes. However I think it did help this time to use it as I did not pinch a tube which I usually seem to do!!

Grat advise!! Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
The talcum powder reduces the chaffing between the tire and tube, primarily.
I usually use it.

On the other web site, .net, there is getting to be quite the following for "Murphy's Oil Soap", furniture cleaner. For tire bead lubricant.
I understand it has the same 'ingredient' as official tire bead lube, and Way Cheaper!
I have not tried IT Yet, still using up my bottle of "Dawn" dish soap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts